Burnt Pig - 356 Pre a Build Thread

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Robneal
DDK above all

Re: Burnt Pig - 356 Pre a Build Thread

Post by Robneal »

Just Finished the Subaru Fuel injection pump in the fuel tank. Looks a bit Frankenstein like, but should do the trick. Just got to make a blanking plate for the original sender hole now. The original fuel outlet in the bottom of the tank will be used to feed my Eberspacher Hydronic (water based) Petrol heater. Here's a couple of pictures of the finished pump mounting...

Last edited by Robneal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Hi All,
Little Progress, but lots of things bubbling at the moment.....

Engine
Paul has now dispatched my Engine Case to Stateside Tuning for Align boring, not sure how long this will take but hopefully the engine build should get under way next month. I am also going out tonight to measure up an engine bay to get the lengths I need to make my up my fuel injection ECU wiring loom. I have also made a new friend through a Classic car meet (Hi Bob if you are reading this) that is a retired electronics engineer who has a very similar set-up to mine on his beautiful Lotus Elan (Jenveys, Emerald ECU, and same sorts of sensors as me) so he is going to advise on how best to construct the loom once I have all of the measurements.

Gearbox
I have dropped off my AH code IRS gearbox at Bears Motorsport for a check over & rebuild with the addition of some beefed up Side plates and a very rare 3.44 Ring and Pinion Set that should make motorway cruising a little easier.

Fuel Tank
I have made the blanking plate for the Fuel tank Sender and screwed it in, so fuel tank now finished ready to install in the car.

Door & Window Frames
The door and window frames have now both arrived and are both in great condition. I will be re-selling the original rear quarter window glass as they will not get through IVA and I will replace them with some of Gary's Speedster Clinic finest 'E' marked Glass.

Chassis
Red9 should have started work on adapting their front suspension to fit the Speedster Clinic chassis this week so I am waiting for pictures to come rolling in from Simon at Red9, so watch this space. I hope to pick it up next month then the fun starts.

Gauges
I have decided not to go with the Porsche replica gauges that most people go with, but instead I am going to fit the Autometer Pro Comp Ultralight range Speedo, Tacho, Volts, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Fuel Gauge and a Clock I will also go with a Digital Cylinder Head temperature gauge as the Autometer does not support the temperature rage of the Aircooled engine. I have most of them now but still looking for a 5" Speedo Electrical or GPS if anyone has one???

Last edited by Robneal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

Looking forward to the chassis pics.

You might want to double check IVA document but section 17 says no GPS speedo
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Richardab1967 wrote:Looking forward to the chassis pics.

You might want to double check IVA document but section 17 says no GPS speedo
That's why I like posting on DDK that way - those that have the knowledge can share it with me and will hopefully stop making too many mistakes... :) :) :)

THanks Richard.....
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Had some good news today, the Engine case is finally back with Paul Foreman and he has started the engine build. A few Pickies to show progress so far.

Not such good news on the chassis side of things as Red9 have still not started the chassis modifications for their front suspension, so will have to be patient - really not clear when they are going to be able to start at the moment.

Most of the Engine loom parts are now on order so should start the build of this next week sometime....Going to make it long to start with and just bind it together with insulating tape untill I get the body then I can put braiding on once I know it works and can get the lengths exactly right.
Last edited by Robneal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Looking good Rob. Whats the take of you've added on the side of the breather tower. Is it for additional crankcase breathing?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Yep it's just a crankcase breather. I wanted a large one as I had heard that you need to ensure there is plenty of breathing capability. The CSP alternator stand is difficult to add a large breather to so after seeing something similar on a USA based engine I found this breather which came from a Hot Rod parts supplier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Paul is really motoring with the engine build (if you will forgive the pun) here is the next instalment of the build with Deck Height set, Barrels, Pistons and heads all now installed. Running a compression ratio of 8.6:1

Looking forward to start-up maybe as early as this coming weekend.....
Last edited by Robneal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

More Engine Build Pictures kindly provided by Paul Foreman.....nearly there now....

Last edited by Robneal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

It Lives........... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4167/356 ... 8696_m.jpg

The Engine has now been started on carburettors and with a distributor (kindly leant by Paul) and ran fine for 20 mins to bed the CAM in, however the engine was running with far too much oil pressure so Paul swapped out the high capacity Melling Oil Pump originally installed for a standard Type 4 Oil Pump and this sorted the Oil pressure problems.
There is also a small oil leak coming from one of the rear Oil Plugs behind the flywheel, which Paul is currently resolving and all being well I should pick the engine up this weekend when I can start the conversion to EFI and install all of the other ancillaries and then finally when I have it all together for a trial fit then I will take it apart and paint the Tinware and generally make it look neat and tidy.
I am really pleased with the sound from the Vintage Speed Exhaust as I wanted a sporty but not too loud note and I think you will agree if you listen to the video that it sounds fab.

Still no news as to when I will be getting my chassis back from RED9 but I will have to be patient.

Gearbox still to be collected in early June.

Now selling original Rear quarter windows on EBAY if anyone is interested as I need to go for 'E' marked glass as I am going the IVA route.
Last edited by Robneal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Good news about your engine Rob. The Vintage exhaust looks a really nice product. Difficult to hear it in the video whilst it's ticking over.

What's the hold up with your chassis and Red9. It should be a bolt up assembly?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Hi Rich,
Not really sure what the delay is with RED9 as I was told I had a slot for the week commencing 6th March and it should have been 2 weeks from there to pick it up. I have spoken to Simon this morning and he now assures me it will be done for mid June. It's not straight forwards though as Gary has changed the front end chassis design and it now looks like this....

And when you look at the cage Design for the RED9 front end then you can see the cage will foul on the main front end tubes. Simon has said they will look at re-fabricating the mounts so the cage is fully supported by both the top and bottom tubes, but I think it needs careful looking at and measuring to ensure everything lines up.

It would be much easier if I had waited till Gary had got his own wishbone front end sorted, but as they say time waits for no-one.... At least I should I should have the engine to work on from the weekend and that should keep me busy plumbing and wiring till the chassis turns up.

Not sure where I am up to in terms of days, but I am probably 50% behind schedule already and only 5 months in....Oh well that's building cars for you.
Last edited by Robneal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Didn't realise Gary does his own frame head, in tube. I can understand the issues more clearly now with the pics.

Word of advice, get Simon to powder coat it once it's all done. Whatever the paint he uses to finish doesn't last long at all.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

I finally feel like I am making some progress... I got the engine back a couple of weeks ago and I have been doing some work on that to convert it to fuel injection and to set-up all of the connections for Oil, Fuel and breathers, but more about that in my next post....

I have today received some pictures from Simon at RED9 with the work that is in progress on the chassis, so feast your eyes on the modifications that he has made to the Standard Speedster Clinic chassis to get the Red9 Double Wishbone front end to bolt up. Basically if you compare this first photo with the photo of the chassis above you can see that they have tyrned the top brace bars the other way round to give room for the cage to slot in.... This is just the main infrastructure to get the cage to bolt up, but all of the rest of the bits will be bolted on too to make it a rolling Chassis before I pick it up in about 3 weeks time.

The rest of the pictures are of the rear chassis set-up with the Red9 rear suspension and the Mendola Stiffy Chassis brace

Last edited by Robneal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

What made you go with the Mendola brace over the CSP equivalent Rob. There was a lengthy thread on the Samba discussing pro's and cons about both.
Rich

DDK Member 0547