EKO181K - 1972 Porsche 911T 2.5

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: EKO181K - 1972 Porsche 911T 2.5

Post by Tp81 »

Its a lovely story and a stunning car. I think the mongrel is a lovely interpretation of this type and style of car.

Quite a garage his father had. I keep telling my wife every time I buy a car that we can enjoy them but my son will look back and cherish the fact that his dad collected some lovely and special Porsches, blank stares and then tends to walk in the opposite direction.
DDK#694
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Tp81 wrote:........my son will look back and cherish the fact that his dad collected some lovely and special Porsches.....
Thanks Tom.....and no doubt about that, you have a stunning collection of cars! 8)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

...one year
...7,744 miles
...Oulton Park track day
...4 laps of the Nürburgring
...3 tours of Wales
...Spa and Le Mans
...England, Wales, France, Belgium and Germany
...thousands of times on the edge
...magazine tart
...doughnuts on Pendine Sands
...countless early morning runs
...a set of Avons
...shared with dozens of friends

...and about a gazillion smiles! :)

#I LOVE LIFE!
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

8)
DDK#694
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Good work Darren, happy days indeed. You have a super car!
The force is strong in this one ......
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Darren65 wrote:Image

...one year
...7,744 miles
...Oulton Park track day
...4 laps of the Nürburgring
...3 tours of Wales
...Spa and Le Mans
...England, Wales, France, Belgium and Germany
...thousands of times on the edge
...magazine tart
...doughnuts on Pendine Sands
...countless early morning runs
...a set of Avons
...shared with dozens of friends

...and about a gazillion smiles! :)

#I LOVE LIFE!
Finger up to the recent talk of resto costs etc .... These memories and experiences are priceless 8) great to see you're still enjoying the car Darren.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Awesome stuff :) A great list for a couple of years, but in one that's good going!
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

hot66 wrote:....Finger up to the recent talk of resto costs etc .....
Cheers guys,

No doubt I've spent a pretty penny in resto costs and did the best I could although it was never the intention for the cars to just sit in the garage looking pretty.......but then each to their own.

Mine's a simple philosophy......restore - drive/thrash/wear-out - restore - drive/thrash/wear-out.....repeat! :P
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Darren,

Not sure if you have seen the following book?

Its a great book on collecting cars and a very detailed account of Ingram family's collection, lovely book.

The reason I mention it is that the Magnus Walker STR or what ever he called it is listed, (sold for $302,000 last year)

I think I prefer the Mongrel.

Stunning car, stunning build.

Hope to see it in the flesh some day.

Cheers

Tom
DDK#694
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Tp81 wrote:......the Magnus Walker STR or what ever he called it is listed, (sold for $302,000 last year)......I think I prefer the Mongrel......
......well if anyone would like to offer me $303,000 I promise to give it serious consideration! :wink:

I've always been a bit Magnus fan although I've never really studied his builds and figured they've been more about style over substance but I'd still love his collection and garage.

Thank you Tom, that's very kind comments which are much appreciated........no doubt we will get to roll with each other one day :)

Cheers,
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

I've enjoyed keeping a diary of my cars, being a 'good news' sort of guy I've tended to stick to the fun stuff although it hasn't all been plain sailing!.....

.....to be fair I've been incredibly car lucky over the past seven years and issues have amounted to little more than the odd niggle so guess I was due a spell of misfortune! :? ....
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

The car had been running fantastically for the first few thousand miles although it started running erratically at Spa last year, odd because one moment it sang beautifully and then it would hop like a bunny down the road. I guessed that it might be electrical.

A thorough check revealed nothing, we changed plugs and tested all leads and electricals but still couldn't get the car to run correctly. With a Welsh trip looming it looked like I'd be leaving the Mongrel at home but thought we'd have one final check the day before, still nothing obvious!........however driving the car home that evening the engine was back to its smooth revvy self!

Wales was a blast as usual 8) ....

....unfortuantely the car didn't totally behave.......the first morning was fine although the rough running returned in the afternoon, not as bad as it had been but still not crisp with the engine needing the revs kept high..........however still plenty fun and quick enough tp enjoy the Welsh roads and have fun.

After that the car was booked into Redtek for a proper overhaul and investigation in February - engine out my issue turned out to be a snapped stud that secured the MFI pump at the front which enabled the pump to tilt slightly backwards and allow the drive belt to jump teeth hence the reason it occasionally ran perfectly and then erratic!.......by the time it got to Nick the pump was five teeth out and he was amazed the car still actually ran!

Still, nice to have an obvious fix and easy to put right :) ......

Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

....one of the 'niggles' I had was a minor gearbox leak. This turned out to be coming from where it bolted to the support brace, I'd previously tried a fix myself with a helicoil and loctite but couldn't get the area oil dry. With the engine out I asked Nick to fit some proper inserts to solve the problem......

....it also transpired the gearbox was seeping by the speedo cable, quite common I'm told, this required a special insert to be made.....

...machined...

....and perfect again....

....the gearbox had also stated to snatch a little when going into 3rd........could this be adjusted I asked?........'syncro I'm afraid!' :?

Bugger!.....
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

....if it wasn't for the fact the gearbox was out I wouldn't have bothered as 3rd was only snatching slightly but it wasn't going to heal itself so decided to get this replaced....

....evident wear on the offending item....

....cleaned and back together, it's never had the prettiest cases although looks fine when coated with wax.....

...I asked if it was normal to have this type of wear after only 8,000 miles but after first calling me an animal Nick assured me the gearbox is perfect and the wear is just what you'd expect after a seasons racing! :?

Guess I'll be a little more careful in future!....
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

.....the other thing that had worn quickly was my tyres, an annual MOT revealed these were barely legal so the car was treated to some new rubber.....

....with a couple of track days planned I figured it would make long term economic sense to have a spare set of track wheels and use my old tyres so purchased a set of Group4 Deep 6 and 7R's, in black to disguise the fact they're fakes.....

....wheels fitted the car didn't want to roll......

...and unfortunately learnt that being cast rather than forged you lose a little clearance, fine with regular brakes but not with my larger 930 calipers!....

....we tried to take off a little of the heavy powder coat but no luck.....

....back to shagging my good tyres! :? ....