Any audiophiles on here?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Any audiophiles on here?

Post by neilbardsley »

I went to a record fair with the intent of browsing and left lighter quite a lot of cash and some more vinyl for my tiny collection. Another anorak insisted I buy Rory Gallagher's Irish 74 Tour lp! Thank goodness after a post buy seach on ebay I've actually paid under the market rate. Anyway I decided that maybe I should look at my equipment and after a chat with the local store (old school) they suggested changing my chario syntar speaks for some bbc studio monitors with 3 drivers for about £680? Anybody know more than I do about these speakers?

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/explore/about_kef/kef/
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Any audiophiles on here?

Post by Bruce M »

Not a big fan of that design but try a few options and trust your ears. You need to consider what you are connecting it too though. Not much point if the amp / turntable / etc is not up to the job (or horribly mismatched).
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I'm a bit of an amateur at the audiophile game, I have got some stuff from the UK manufacturers Naim, Linn and B&W and no idea about the BBC stuff from KEF. It strikes me though that it's a very old design. Does that matter?

I used to be a silent partner in a super-duper audio shop - the guy who owns/runs it is a super chappy and would be very happy to give you his opinion. http://audience.org.uk/ Try phoning and asking for Andrew.

What is the rest of your system?

Graham
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

It's all pretty low end equipment with, to now, not much thought to it

Yamaha P220 Record Player
(bought from the place that is recommending the speakers)

Yamaha AX592 Amp
(had for about 15 years form the US). Actually I just read a review on this Amp for mid/low value it doesn't get a bad write up

Chario Syntar Speakers
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
myatt1972
DDK rules my life!

Post by myatt1972 »

I've had Kef speakers for the last 25 years, I currently have some reference model 2's which are fantastic linked to my bi-amped audiolab amps and audiolab transport and dac.
How much room do you have Neil ? as I have a pair of Kef Cantata kit speakers which use the same drivers as the bbc monitors but they are pretty big, they need a bit of tlc but are in perfect working order.
Keith...

73 911e sporto
73 914 2.0l
86 928s S2
85 Mazda Rx7 (TWR)
85 Mazda Rx7
The Bonser fork truck
Volvo V40 T4 (200bhp workhorse)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

How big is big? They would be for the front room of the flat which has some space but doesn't want a marshall stack in the corner :)

I was enjoying some of my new records last night but it struck me that a front room with a hard floor and shinny walls isn't the best for sound? If I get a bit more serious it might be worth moving to a room with a carpet?
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

myatt1972 wrote:I've had Kef speakers for the last 25 years, I currently have some reference model 2's which are fantastic linked to my bi-amped audiolab amps and audiolab transport and dac.
How much room do you have Neil ? as I have a pair of Kef Cantata kit speakers which use the same drivers as the bbc monitors but they are pretty big, they need a bit of tlc but are in perfect working order.
Almost the same here, Reference Model 1 Kefs, Audiolab pre & power :) old but great.
KS

Post by KS »

Spendor BC1s here - used often as BBC studio monitors in the past. Old school all the way in this house.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

What does everybody have their speakers on?
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Old audiolab is good gear (visited the factory back in the day) although I preferred Exposure.

Neil, putting down a nice rug will make a big difference (Google Bijar)
redrobin911
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by redrobin911 »

HI I had Spendor BC1's and they're not really so much old skool as they were predominately designed the reproduce speech and classical music that was the typical output from the BBC back in the day. They really don't like being pushed hard and sound a little lifeless when listening to anything with a bit of punch - I like my rock and blues and Jazz.

Before you start looking at speakers you really need to address the chain staring at you source ie.e turntable and cartridge then preamp/power amp before you think of what speakers you want to buy - the reasons to do this should be fairly obvious as the signal quality starts at the cartridge / turntable and you'll notice bigger improvements when you upgrade this first then your amplifier next and speakers last. I'd look at a used Rega Planner 3 and decent cartridge.

I've gone digital / hybrid using Spotify as my music collection, currently souring a good DAC to improve output from my MacBook, going through a Melody valve amplifier to a 2:1 set of Anthony Gallo A'diva's with a TR1 sub woofer - seriously good sounding system. the AG speakers are well worth a listen to and are virtually unseen in my room setup.

There is much to consider regarding speaker and has more to do with the shape and size of your room and unless you have a dedicated listening room you'll need to factor in what else the room is used for and where your going to site the speakers as some need to have "space" to work properly and don't like being in corners etc. Bookshelf speakers are the opposite - again lots to consider but IMO start with the turntable.
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD
KS

Post by KS »

redrobin911 wrote:HI I had Spendor BC1's and they're not really so much old skool as they were predominately designed the reproduce speech and classical music that was the typical output from the BBC back in the day. They really don't like being pushed hard and sound a little lifeless when listening to anything with a bit of punch - I like my rock and blues and Jazz..
I listen mainly to blues, folk, acoustic, with plenty of CSNY, Neil Young, etc but don't entirely agree that the speakers don't like being pushed – although I guess my valve mono blocs only produce about 25w each so don't stress them too much. The only speakers which I've owned which matched them for depth and clarity were my Quad Electrostatics. For real 'thumpers' I have tucked away a pair of Kef 104/2 'Gold Signature' reference speakers. Now they enjoy being pushed hard, but are too big and ugly for my front room (OK when I was single, though!).
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

What have I started? While actually my first question to the chap was should I upgrade my amp but he put me onto the speakers. Maybe it's because he had never heard of them before. I guess I could take mine into the shop, with one of my records, and compare like for like.
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

KS wrote:....with plenty of CSNY, Neil Young, etc
:cheers: :compress: :bounce:

I used to get really excited and then quite disappointed when I spotted CSINY in the TV listings only to find out it was a program about forensic detectives. :x
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

redrobin911 wrote: Before you start looking at speakers you really need to address the chain staring at you source ie.e turntable and cartridge then preamp/power amp before you think of what speakers you want to buy - the reasons to do this should be fairly obvious as the signal quality starts at the cartridge / turntable and you'll notice bigger improvements when you upgrade this first then your amplifier next and speakers last. I'd look at a used Rega Planner 3 and decent cartridge.

......again lots to consider but IMO start with the turntable.
Neil, if you are considering a turntable upgrade mine has been boxed up for years and I'd part with it cheaply (entry level audiophile machine). I'd need to check it over (sapphire bearing, arm etc) although I think it really needs a fresh cartridge.
Risky tho..... Lots of upgrades are possible with turntables so a slippery slope :)