Were you out and about in your 914 today?

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

den 912de
DDK slapper chatter

Were you out and about in your 914 today?

Post by den 912de »

It was fantastic driving weather today, we drove down from north London to Guildford (A40, M25, A3). We have yet to meet another 914 on the road, but was stopped by a motorcyclist whose parents used to have a 914, and photographed by a couple of other passing cars.

A lovely drive out, car really purring:

Just look at that beauty:

Eat my dust:

A steady hand on the wheel

Just love those pop up lights:
1971 914/6 GT replica in Viper Green - #36
1970 914/6 - matching numbers in Adriatic Blue - in restoration in the USA
1970 911 - matching numbers, arrived from the USA, restoration in progress
Canarydelia
DDK addict

Re: Were you out and about in your 914 today?

Post by Canarydelia »

Great pics! I went out too today with my neighbour - first time he'd been in my 914. Having asked him if he fancied going for a spin...we duly did. 3 times to be precise after exiting a roundabout. Driver, passenger and car all intact thankfully. We took a good look to see what had happened and the best excuse I felt that was valid was a nasty clump of wet greasy leaves that it appears we drove over.

I've absolutely loved the handling of the car to date but today gave me a reminder that even the hero status I have apportioned to its handling, can let you down if you don't take that bit of extra care at times.

Lesson learned.
White 1975 914 1911cc on twin Webber - The werksMartini
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

Great to hear you are both out enjoying the 914 again.
I know that feeling of not seeing another 914 on the road… if it was the weekend before I was in the Guilford area on the A3 on both Saturday and Sunday! We need to get our timing better planned!!!
Canarydelia wrote:I went out too today with my neighbour - first time he'd been in my 914. Having asked him if he fancied going for a spin...we duly did. 3 times to be precise after exiting a roundabout. Driver, passenger and car all intact thankfully. We took a good look to see what had happened and the best excuse I felt that was valid was a nasty clump of wet greasy leaves that it appears we drove over.
Oh… I know that twitching or spinning feeling on roundabouts…

When this happens it is a tell-tale sign that the 914 is in need of new rear tyres! :wink:
914 Daily driver since 1990
Canarydelia
DDK addict

Post by Canarydelia »

Hi Kev, actually the tyres are less than a year old and with very little wear at all (Yokohomas).

Describing it as a "twitch" - I'm sure my neighbour will laugh at that ;-)

I checked the seat cushions after he got out - somewhat surprised the black vinyl hadn't been dyed brown...
ollieg
DDK slapper chatter

Post by ollieg »

Glad the 'spin' ended well. I also had a similar lucky escape at the Nurburgring in my 914 a few years back. I came to rest a foot or two away and nicely parallel with the crash barrier after taking a corner too fast. The 914 has a high limit of grip until it just suddenly lets go with little if any warning. I guess that's why the 911 made for a better Rally car.

There was a freshly restored yellow car on here a couple of years ago that wasn't so lucky after a dramatic roundabout exit…it was written off.

Be careful out there fellow teeners, especially at this time of year!
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Sounds like a scary moment you had there - glad all was ok though.
ollieg wrote:The 914 has a high limit of grip until it just suddenly lets go with little if any warning.
i havent noticed this even when racing mine - mine always grips very well and then goes into a a nice controlled slide. maybe i'm just not pushing hard enough!! :P
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

Spinning your 914 three times makes me think that the 914 has an issue. This is not normal. And less you were pushing it to the limit on a very slippery road.

Glad to hear the tyres are new.

There are a few thinks worth checking on the rear suspension that can affect the handling.

One of the rear suspension consoles has a crack in it. Inners do crack as they are weakened by rust.
The inner nut on the swing arm is loose and/or the hole on the console has gone oval. Also check all the nuts for tightness on the swing arms, they are known to loosen!
Bushes on the swing arm.
Wheel alignment.

One of my 914s ended up having a crack in the rear inner suspension console; it really affected the handling and it spun once at low speed on a roundabout in the wet right in front of middlefour1 in a covey of 914s at an Int. 914 Meeting in Holland!

As Olliey pointed out “Be careful out there fellow teeners, especially at this time of year!”
914 Daily driver since 1990
Canarydelia
DDK addict

Post by Canarydelia »

Thanks for those wise words Kev. A fairly quick inspection showed nothing untoward, and indeed driving "felt" fine afterwards. However, I'm looking to get it up on a ramp later this week so can check it out more fully then.
DaveW
DDK slapper chatter

Post by DaveW »

The handling on mine wasn't right despite changing wheel bearings etc. Agree with Kevin - I bought new swing arm bushes to fit and realised that the nut on the near side swing arm was loose! Ended up replacing the bushes anyway but tightening the nut made a surprisingly big difference...
Dave Watson

'75 914 1.8 FI
'86 911 Turbo SE
'79 928 Series 1 Manual
'92 928 S4 Auto (daily driver)
Canarydelia
DDK addict

Post by Canarydelia »

Thanks Dave. I'm desperately trying to squeeze in some time during a busy work week to get a good look...but may have to wait until next week or Christmas break to do something now.
DaveW
DDK slapper chatter

Post by DaveW »

I took my 914 out for a 120 mile blast into the Peak District and Derbyshire today with some friends in 7 other Porsches.

The 914 looked quite at home at the lunch stop parked next to a 928 with a car bra fitted. I decided to fit the bib that I found in the boot amongst various spares when I bought the car for restoration. Doesn't do anything for its aesthetics, however served a purpose by giving the paint work some protection given the grit on the roads. Can't make up my mind if the bib is specifically for the 1975/6 impact bumper cars or a generic one? I think the former even though the fit isn't wonderful.

We ran a route from Knutsford out to Whaley Bridge, across to Lady Bower reservoir and round various back roads to Monsal Dale for a pub lunch. Then headed off to Ashbourne and Uttoxeter prior to returning home. First proper run out amongst other cars whilst pressing on. The 914 isn't quick off the start-line but once moving I was really impressed at how quick it was in much more powerful company. Handles better in the snow and ice too :)

Anyway, despite slippy conditions, we got back in one piece having seen plenty of sun and had a lot of fun. Back to work with a bump tomorrow. :(

Dave Watson

'75 914 1.8 FI
'86 911 Turbo SE
'79 928 Series 1 Manual
Adrian.Tyldesley
DDK Fanatic

Post by Adrian.Tyldesley »

I must say that black thing on the front ruins the look of your otherwise lovely car.
DaveW
DDK slapper chatter

Post by DaveW »

Adrian.Tyldesley wrote:I must say that black thing on the front ruins the look of your otherwise lovely car.
Like I said...served a purpose given the weather. Won't be staying on the car though as I completely agree.
Dave Watson

'75 914 1.8 FI
'86 911 Turbo SE
'79 928 Series 1 Manual