What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Continued to wake-up the 2 x 3.2 engines in my life, the Lola and the 3.2 engined 911T 1973.

Lola first, fresh 99 octane into the empty car, good churn over to get oil where I'd like it to be, fuel pump eventually filled the big PMO carbs, ignition ON and Kaboom, it fired instantly onto 6 pots and hummmmmmed there warming up. Bloody hell!

911T next. It has sat still in the garage since late September, and mid March is oil change time, or every 2 years air filter etc too.

Pulled the Lola out so i had the full width of the garage to tinker in, plan was to change the oil, filter and while it was up on stands clean the wheel arches out, an annual ritual to keep on top of everything, dry wipe down, all grit off and lots of WD40.

This is usually an event-free task...

Opened proceedings by dropping the oil from the dry sump tank, not much came out as usual after the long stand. Magnetic plug good and clean, nothing on it. Good.
Next, drop the oil from the sump.
Usually easy, but not this time. I must have been feeling very strong when i put the sump plug back in last time as the 15mm spanner rounded off the flats on the malleable iron sump plug. First time for everything!
While i pondered how to get the plug out and repair it I put the first battery on charge. Charger hummed, but the needle stayed on Zero amps. Duff battery?
Second battery on and the charger jumped to 6 amps.
They are at least 10 years old, so bound to fail soon. Maybe.

Back to the pressing matter of the sump plug. Access is not great, mole grips rounded the plug head even more, so welded a 15mm ring spanner onto the plug! Oddly the welds held (MIG weld, mild steel wire, chrome moly spanner, cast iron, not a good mix). It came out using a trolley jack to apply lots of force on the welded spanner. Crack! it was free. Had to angle grind the spanner off to unscrew the plug...

Repaired the plug using a 19mm nut slid onto a turned-down plug head and cross drilled the two and inserted a 4mm dia steel pin to take the torque. It worked, will order a new one for next time.

Now sorted oil-wise filled the car with 10 litres of oil as a starter.
Replaced both batteries to see if it would start.
After the usual slow 3.2 cranking over it fired on 6 and hummmmmed like the Lola, 50 psi cold @ tickover, Good!
This fine engine is undisturbed from the factory and has about 140,000 miles on it.

Good warm up and checked the oil level, nothing on the stick so 1.5 litres later mid way between Min and Max.
Shut the car off. Both batteries show 13.1Volts...
Going to try them again in the week and see what the volts etc are.

So, never did do the rear wheel arch clean, planned for Monday, but have about 6.4 litres of 540 bhp Porsche power all up and running.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Excellent :)

I got my oil system back together yesterday and fired it up, no leaks (yet!) from the bits I fixed, but of course the crank seal and box will continue to make their mark!
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Wrapped the dog in pork for a trip to the groomers and took the long route home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

He looks at home!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Yes, but comfier for him than the teenagers (not that they are willing to go in it!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Took the 911 to the Loton Park hillclimb practice day to give it a run, first of 2023, and see a few race cars. Great day.

911 ran so sweetly, I'd forgotten how the steering is so very sensitive, the ability to overtake, and just how nice it is.

Lots of compliments, esp the lady who fell in love with it at the Shell station this morning.

Bonus was NO wheel wobble despite standing still on the Dunlops for 6 months; what flat spots?

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I set the steering wheel to point with wheels. The horn connect was a pain. I had to refit a connector Image

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Sam

Post by Sam »

neilbardsley wrote: I set the steering wheel to point with wheels. The horn connect was a pain. I had to refit a connector
Set wheel to match wheels
The horn connect was a pain
Had to reconnect
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Dennes
DDK Newbie

Post by Dennes »

Hi all,
I opened the Odometer, since it was in really bad shape.
I cleaned and repainted it and I am in the process of plating the case, so I can finally call it a day.
12.27.37.jpg
12.27.50.jpg
12.27.16.jpg
70 911 Albert Blue
05 Cayenne S Titanium Metallic
Dennes
DDK Newbie

Post by Dennes »

And the Before and After results from my hobby morning.
12.28.29.jpg
Well, I am still not satisfied about the period correct white colour of the needle...
12.28.12.jpg
Hope you enjoy to see it, as I enjoy to see other members posts.

Best,
Dennes
70 911 Albert Blue
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Nice job Dennes
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

Dennes
DDK Newbie

Post by Dennes »

rhd racer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:42 pm Nice job Dennes
Thanks Rhd Racer
now that I saw the photos, I wish the glass was not reflecting that much, so details could be seen much better.
70 911 Albert Blue
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Took the 993 for its MOT, embarrassingly I've only done 68 miles for the year
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I've done about the same in my 993 in thew last 12 months - it is a little embarrassing
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
KS

Post by KS »

Spent the last couple of days installing Elephant Racing poly-bronze suspension bushes and monoball top strut mounts, along with the Quaife quick-ratio steering rack conversion I've had on the shelf for several months. All this followed by a lengthy session on Williams-Crawford's laser-alignment set-up. What a difference! The car is even more like a go-kart than ever... I must say that the Elephant Racing parts are stunning quality, with sales service second to none. I'd ordered these on a Sunday night (as you do...) and the parts arrived on Thursday - free worldwide shipping and no duty to pay. Highly recommended.

ImageImage
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel