Ripped off, what to do?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

DustyM
I need to get out more!

Re: Ripped off, what to do?

Post by DustyM »

Sam wrote:Nice first post. Welcome to DDK!

Is the perp NI or ROI? I'm just wondering if this makes a difference.
He's in NI.
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

If you sent him any private messages through Ebay, make sure you keep them and print them off, especially if it is over the 'condition' of the engine and box, to which he has claimed its' functionality.
Try and keep a copy of the original Ebay advert, as these tend to disappear after 3 months, so you may need to do a Google back search to retrieve it again.
I would also go on line, and file a complaint with the PSNI, if someone has sold you goods from the outset, knowing they are fault, it's Fraud
It COVERS Northern Ireland
England and Wales and Northern Ireland
Main article: Fraud Act 2006
The Fraud Act 2006 (c 35) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It affects England and Wales and Northern Ireland. It was given Royal Assent on 8 November 2006, and came into effect on 15 January 2007
"In criminal law, fraud is intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent, and verb is defraud. Fraud is a crime and a civil tort at common law, though the specific criminal law definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Defrauding people or entities of money or valuables is a common purpose of fraud."

Try this website for advise
http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/a-z_of_fraud
This would have been covered under the old Theft Act 1968, as deception, but most deception offence are now covered by the new Fraud Act 2006.
Remember a Civil Court, which is what you will be taking him to, is governed by 'civil law' i.e. on the balance of probability, so is a lot easier to prove, especially if you have a copy of the listing, emails to him, and pictures of the engine, as it arrived and stripped.

You could also go down the 'criminal' routs as well as civil if you feel you have the evidence?

Print off his feedback, which clearly shows he deals in Porsche parts, so he knows what he actually deals in, has knowledge of their associated parts, and mechanicals.

The latest listing for the 'bits of' 911 is a start to show the 'bu??shi?' given in the adverts.

Hope this helps
Ian
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

excuse some of the spelling……bloody Apple computers think they know better!
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

You might also want to go to "woods911' website and print off their 'about us- mission statement'
The site gives enough evidence of their Porsche dealings, and history of items sold, breaking, and for sale, including complete cars….

"Woods-911 is built on good values, which distinguish us and guide our actions. We conduct our business in an ethical manner, and treat others as we like to be treated. Our goal is to help you keep your dream of Porsche ownership alive, weather it is to purchase one of our amazing cars, or to let us supply you with the parts to keep your dream Porsche on the road. Woods-911 Will continue to grow throughout the World, building strong relationships with our loyal customers who trust and respect our brand. "
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

This should be all the evidence you need to get your money back, or prove your case, as he offers a "pre Purchase Inspection" for Porsche cars………….

I think the issues with your engine, should have been well known, given the following…………

TOP / PP INSPECTION
We also offer a pre purchase inspection service. There are many reasons why someone can benefit from a pre purchase inspection service. Maybe you are buying a Porsche for the first time and have very limited knowledge of the marque, or maybe you are buying a car overseas and are unable to personally view it. Whatever your reason, we are here to help.

We will go through the car from top to bottom, mechaninally, structurally, cosmetically, and throughally inspecting its history and authenticity, and will let you know exactly what you are buying. Inspections are carried out personally by Ciaran Woods, who has a wealth of knowledge of Porsche, from years of sourcing the best cars in the World, and also restoring many award winning 911s.

Many people buy cars and later regret it, if your spending a lot of money, or you are fulfilling a life long dream of owning a Porsche, then you want to buy the absolute best car that fits your budget. Ciaran will make sure you are getting a first class automobile, and he can travel anywhere in the World to inspect a car for you.

You can contact Ciaran now for a chat about what your requirements are on (44) 0 790 8588 962.
Ayli Carper
DDK addict

Post by Ayli Carper »

As Sherlock said, "It's a capital mistake to theorise when one doesn't have the data". I am sorry I missed he's in Northern Ireland.

The limit for actions using the small claims procedure in Northern Ireland is £3,000. That doesn't mean you can't claim £4,000, it's just it would cost more, and also if you are NOT in NI, the case (if it comes to court) will be heard there.

NI Government produces an overview on procedure at http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/an-overview- ... ms-process.

However, you could use the small claim system to claim the costs of making the engine into what you were told you were ordering, so long as that would be less than £3,000.

The problem with any claim is enforcing payment if the person you are suing either doesn't have any money and/or doesn't care about their credit rating. There are also problems if there is any doubt about your case, you don't set it out with all the evidence you need, he hires a hotshot lawyer that pulls some legal rug from under your feet and counterclaims for something you could never have predicted without hiring your own hotshot lawyer.

But be assured you don't need one, you can pursue it, and it shouldn't have happened. If you are considering legal action, you might want to send a copy to Ebay too, no little sign of glory showing from them in all of this.

(Thank you for your kind welcomes, by the way: I'd wanted to wait to post until the two years in pieces thing was put back together, but I dislike people being ripped off. I wish I was Replica Ray, just his name sounds exciting.)
JPH
DDK Fanatic

Post by JPH »

It would appear that the seller has not registered himself with ebay as a business seller. If indeed he is a business seller then that's naughty. See here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/businesscentre/ ... index.html
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Ayli Carper wrote: I wish I was Replica Ray, just his name sounds exciting.)
:) You are an anagram of Replica Ray.

Mike.
sladey

Post by sladey »

mycar wrote:
Ayli Carper wrote: I wish I was Replica Ray, just his name sounds exciting.)
:) You are an anagram of Replica Ray.

Mike.
Am I being slow here or is that exceptional spotting by Mike - if so it's very impressive and a bit unnerving.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Very slow,

You are an anagram of delays which is nice. Did I unnerve you too? Whoooooooooo! Spooky. :lol:

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Ayli Carper wrote:I wish I was Replica Ray, just his name sounds exciting.
Nah, Ayli Carper is cooler! 8)
sladey

Post by sladey »

210bhp wrote:Very slow,

You are an anagram of delays which is nice. Did I unnerve you too? Whoooooooooo! Spooky. :lol:

Regards
Mike
Yep always been crap at anagrams.

What I meant though was who mentioned 'replica ray' - couldn't see it earlier in the thread
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
mycar

Post by mycar »

It's just one of those things Sad lady.

Mike.
mrk
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrk »

mycar wrote:It's just one of those things Sad lady.

Mike.
Sad lady is.....Not strictly the best anagram I've come across.... :lol:
Best

Matt

2015 Bowler Defender #50
BMW M3 Touring
BMW X3
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

sladey wrote: What I meant though was who mentioned 'replica ray' - couldn't see it earlier in the thread
Ray did! :roll: