Under cover Resto

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

hashman
DDK forever

Re: Under cover Resto

Post by hashman »

Thanks 3ftDeep, at least the learning can still be fun.
I haven't posted in a while and missed the swap meet because one of my kids brought a new friend home from school called
Corona Virus!
It certainly knocked me for six.
I'd had both jabs because of life long Asthma and i'm sure glad I did, or I reckon it would have been a fight for my life.
Any hoo,

Case halves apart because that got missed in the last post

Image356 engine by karlhash, on Flickr

So I tested my degreaser in the sump area, seemed ok

Image356 by karlhash, on Flickr

Then turned it into a water cooled engine

They cleaned up quite nicely, and put them in the sun to dry, back when the weather was a little warmer.

bathed the other head

Once dry I then proceeded to shoot WD40 through all the oil ways just like the Maestro tells you to.

Then it dawned on me that for an SC engine the crank doesn't look very counterbalanced!

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Not one, but two all time great DDK engine build threads running concurrently. Keep it coming Karl, cheers

maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

I haven't posted in a while again, one because, honestly I can't be bothered to go in the garage while the weather is cold
and two, I'm waiting for some parts to arrive.
So despite talking to some sensible people who belong to this brilliant fraternity of all old things Porsche, I decided not to be
economically careful and am blowing the budget.
I could have had the crank re polished and taken to the next size under and made do with the odd new part here and there but
where's the fun in that.

So I have purchased
1 Scat crank
Shasta Durabar cylinders with JE pistons
Valve rocker shafts
Neutek SX1 cam
All from Leonard Turnbeaugh at Shasta/Neutek cams

Then coming from John Willhoits
A complete valve kit with
dual springs
Manley valves
lock in valve guides
Spring retainers
and some new pushrods.

Not sure when these parts will turn up as a friend of mine who lives in L.A. is very kindly bringing them over for me, whenever he next visits.

I still have to purchase some rockers, bearings and ancillaries...

I couldn't have done nothing before posting so I braved the cold and sorted out the sump plate studs.
All had come out but one, so after some anti seize oil squirted for a couple of days I got my two nuts on it and out it came! Said the bishop to the actress.
One stud bore had a stripped thread so I managed to get a helicoil in place.
I use a tap to clean the rest of the threads.
Then I had a look at the new sump cover that I purchased from Ollie a little while back when he made his first batch of them.
I was a bit concerned that it doesn't have the big circular magnet to go around the oil pick up tube but because I am fitting a full flow filter I think it should be ok
and the wire mesh that sits above the sump cover should be enough to hold the oil pick up tube by itself.
Ollies sump plate looks much better than the others available because it replicates the fins on the bottom of the crank case and I need those as my case has been through the wars and lost some in its history.

Nasty old stripped sump plate stud bore
Image20211229_121201 by karlhash, on Flickr

Helicoil in place
Image20220109_164939 by karlhash, on Flickr

Nice new fins
Image20220115_163314 by karlhash, on Flickr

Karl

P.S. Hugo your'e to kind, I feel like i'm just fudging my way through this, but learning at each step.
Keep the Outlaw Faith
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Wow. That is scope creep! Top quality products. We are going to have trouble keeping up with you at the next Flat 4 drive

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

neilbardsley wrote:We are going to have trouble keeping up with you at the next Flat 4 drive
There's no worry there Neil, I won't know where to go following the map :lol:

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Nicely cleaned up but just a question. The hardened valve seats in the photo above of the head look in very poor condition. I remember the pics of the valves that were so burnt and worn. I presume they seats will be removed and new ones installed but is the condition of the head still okay to do that? ( or is the pic showing them worse than they are? )

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

In case anyone was unaware, Engine parts Manufacturing company IK Engineering make a really superb counterbalanced crankshaft for 356/912 cost effectively. They’re as good as you get and make quite a range of rods and cranks for all the hot Ford engines etc.

https://www.ikengineering.co.uk/product ... he-912-356
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Roy, the valve seats do look worse in the photos, but I believe it is recommended by John Willhoit to have a multi angle seat cut made
to help improve the flow. I am waiting for an information sheet to come from him also when the parts turn up.
When chatting with Sean P, I think he recommended Greatworth Classics for some head work so I'll shall be having a chat with them in
the not too distant future, hopefully.

Ashley that crank looks good, I might have considered it had I not already bought one.

When I picked up from my parents attic, the black recaro seat that I have for sale in the classified section I also brought home some old speedster seat cushions that I had purchased many moons ago, mainly for the material pattern so as to make some new ones.
Just thought I'd see what they looked like in the Martin and Walker seat shells I have that are waiting to be sorted one day.
It's a shame that the second seat base cover has a large hole in it, or I would have considered trying to use the old covers to match the rest of car.
I suppose this means I'll have to join the Singer 201K club.

Image20220122_163448 by karlhash, on Flickr

Image20220122_165752 by karlhash, on Flickr

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Karl, you have PM. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Karl you are correct about the multi angle cuts

https://youtu.be/vsWm2_V5oqI

I'm not sure is this is the exact video but he does a DIY multi angle valve job.

If Greatworth can't help you, which I'm sure they can, there is a place near me AHS Lutterworth which surely can

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Thanks Neil, I do watch Toms garage time, but I must admit I forgot about them lately.

I had also forgotten to mention my oil pump gears.
Having removed them for fitting the full flow filter I was unsure of the gear tang that fits into the cam
as it had a bit of wear on it.
So I took it to Hedingham Castle and asked Paul Smith of PRS and he thought I could probably use as is.
I chose to err on the side of caution as I was doing every thing else, and got him to machine the gear for one of their
Oldham couplers.
Better safe than sorry.

Image20220127_182729 by karlhash, on Flickr

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Whilst cleaning up the outside of my rocker covers for repainting, it occurred to me that the inside was rather dark from I guess baked on oil.
Now, because of all the cleaning of internal engine parts for the introduction of new P&C's and bearings I thought these areas should be clean also so as to not contaminate the oil.
Does anyone else keep the inside of their rocker covers sparkling clean?
Managed to prime them so far.

Image20220206_125403 by karlhash, on Flickr

Image20220206_131449 by karlhash, on Flickr

Image20220206_131948 by karlhash, on Flickr

Image20220206_173729 by karlhash, on Flickr

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

It’s standard practice to cut valves for the valves and then at a shallower again to compensate for a degree of recession. Good plane to fit new valves as well because a surprising amount of power is lost through valves pocketing.

I’m sure the reason I got BMC’s claimed 148 bhp from my Healey was that I had a friend fit new seats and valves and then machine away the surface of the combustion chamber to bring the valves above it. Then the head was skimmed to get the required compression ratio.

If you want any heads done I can ask him and put you in touch. He’s quite a well known tuner.
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Thanks Ashley, I will keep this in mind.
I am still unsure when my parts will arrive due to my friend bringing them over next time he visits the UK.
Beggars can't be choosers..

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Great thread. I got the Brooklands 356 road test compendium when I was in college (mid 1980’s) and fell in love with the model(s) via the writings of Denis Jenkinson. Haven’t owned one yet, but have learned what complicated buggers the body shells are.

Regarding your valve/rocker covers: safe to assume you’re using a 2-pack paint? Aerosol stuff wouldn’t last, in my opinion. I’d rather have them replated.

Keep up the great work,

John, Connecticut USA

PS I visited Willhoit’s shop ca. 2005 and it was the coolest place. Great bloke, too.