356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Post by roy mawbey »

Really enjoyed reading your thread. You have done some really nice work. I have a question, when its finished and you want to register can you use the VW chassis info to do that these days? Your car will be so individual in every way does it have to be specially inspected?

Like your welding!

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Admiring and following the build too.

Interesting question Roy. From memory I think if he goes the Iva route he has to use a least 3 major items from the donor, ie, engine, gearbox and suspension in order to use the Vw chassis log book.

Here's another question, did you ever consider reversing the engine to make it mid engined?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi, great questions, thanks

Registration; looks like I am another 12 to 18 months away from being ready in which time everything could change. Local DVLA depots being closed etc. I have been building with IVA in mind but would really like to avoid the Q plate. So plan to build to IVA spec and then near the time will see what alternative options are available, if any. Reading the DVLA guides there seems to be a number of contradictions so keep my fingers crossed for a alternative, easily drop the original vw engine and box back in.

Mid mounted: Scrummy mid mounted 911 engine/ gearbox. This was on the wish list from the start. I did spend time investigating and thought the Patrick Motorsports reverse direction gear shift option looked ideal apart from the cost. So I decided this was just one step too far.
:)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Just found this thread, must look harder. :roll:

Love the hot rod approach and the matching of the parts to produce a solid and modern job.
Why not weld the door bars in solid?

I look forward to more progress and just how you arch that body.

Very smart and takes me back to my hot rod days of the 70's! :cheers:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi, I have now started to plumb in the hard brake lines. Borrowed some brake flaring and bending equipment to make the job easier. Just time consuming to work out the best route for maintenance further down the line. The heads on the engine are all but done. Which leaves the top end rebuild and running on the dyno bench tester hopefully Nov/ Dec.

Kind words. The welding of roll bar/ cage bracing is a constant fight with the fibreglass body. I cant weld the door bars in and then get the body on without cutting the door sill thresholds off. I have not always been able to put the cage bracing in the preferred place. What hotrod is perfect.

I am looking forward to the rear arches as well. I have a few ideas on the methods available but no concrete plans. I have even asked some of the wide body speedster suppliers for partial moulds/ panels, but they are not really interested. I guess they need to protect their designs etc. May just have to sculpt the design out of air-dry clay over a foam construction and then take moulds and graft back into place. I have wondered if some 911-ST arches would fit but quite expensive to buy if they don't work. Any ideas would be appreciated.
:)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
stevesprite
DDK above all

Post by stevesprite »

"I have even asked some of the wide body speedster suppliers for partial moulds/ panels, but they are not really interested."

Have you tried Pilgrim ? I know they had a mould for a flared arch speedster, I managed to persuade them to make my body from it. I know that the business has changed hands, and I am not sure if they are producing speedster replicas at the moment, but it may be worth a call ?

regards

Steve
Pilgrim "California" Speedster
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Morning Steve,
I will give Pilgrim a call and see what they say, cheers :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi all, at last managed to get into the man cave today.
The main job today was the housing around the gear shift selector extending from the tunnel. I have a rubber gaiter which fits over the 65mm tube and then over the 20mm selector shaft at the other end. This should allow easy removal of the gearbox. All looks a bit messy under here but need to finish the grinding and after powder coat it will be covered in under seal hiding everything.
Oil cooler does fit with the body in place and would have excellent air flow, but may move it later under the wing as normal
I have recessed the rear frame horns to allow better path for the oil pipes;
Thermostat sits under the rear seat. I may add an easy access panel for future maintenance
Temporary fitted the brake fluid reservoir, hard and flexible pipes etc

Will be looking at the oil tank at the rear next to get the position right within the confines of the body

Target is still to get the chassis drivable hopefully in the next couple of months. Will be taking the chassis off to my friends garage to have the engine fitted and the suspension adjustments made soonish. :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Looking good, coming together slowly. Don't get grinding to much of the Welds away, you could taking some of the strength away??
Rich

DDK Member 0547

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hate grinding so that sounds like a great reason not do any more :wink:
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Cold day at man-manor
Worked on a number of jobs, position of oil cooling pipes, length of gear shift selector and handbrake cables.
I have managed to get the gear shift selector rod in the right place where it exists the chassis. The rubber gaiter should cover and make waterproof

Progress is being made on the engine, brilliant green, maybe not the exact shade but looks fantastic, really pleased

1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Wow that's bright, should of warned me to get the shades out ;-). That was a quick turn around on the engine. not much to be done then??
Rich

DDK Member 0547

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hello,
Surprise call last night to say that the engine top end rebuild was all but finished. And the engine was delivered in gleaming bright green this afternoon. Try to get some pics soon. Just got to find some time to finish the brakes, clutch line, hand brake cable, clean the gear box, assemble box and engine and fit etc etc. :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

At last managed to get a a pipe made up from the 964 pedal box master cylinder 14x1.5 female to the Wilwood slave cylinder female 3/8 unf. Great help from the guy at Stauff. I can now connect all the hydraulic brake and clutch lines, top up with fluid, bled and see if it all works. :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Braved the wind and rain and made it across the garden to the man cave :)

Engine and gearbox fitted back in place

The passenger seat runners welded into place

The clutch master cylinder with the new pipe exiting through the bulk head

Connection into the slave cylinder

Next project started, assembly of the front and rear anti-roll bars
Cheers
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw