Replace clutch cable al fresco

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

I thought it might be an idea for me to jot down some notes from my recent foray under my car at CLM when my clutch cable broke.
The experts will know all this and some but someone might find it useful I hope.

1 Either carry a spare cable or travel with someone else who has one - big thanks to Simon (73SJM) and James (hot66) who had one each.

2. Carry a collapsible axle stand - thanks Andy (amallagh)

3. Undo the forward end by the pedal box - push the clip off the clevis so you can pull it out then pull the cable through the hole at the top of the tunnel as it is easier to undo it from the cable there - I tried both ways.

4. Pull the cable through - it is bust so needs to be pulled out at both ends.
The first big problem i had was getting the outer cable off the end nearest the bulkhead. It doesn't help that it is difficult to see and I wasn't sure what it looked like - but after what seemed like hours of turning it a bit with pliers and tugging it, I tried spraying it with WD40 and went away for a bit when I returned and tugged again it came away ok.

5. Feed the new one through - this was the next problem - I couldn't find the cable. So after consulting with Chris Turner who helped me throughout - I pulled the cable from the back end three or four inches and rotated it 180 degrees and pushed it forward a bit. I did this a few times and eventually found it ok - it gets tucked away under the tubes in the tunnel very easily - I was then able to connect it up at the front. However note the clevis only needs to be turned 5 full turns (any more reduces the length at the other end).

6. When I went to connect the back and found it did not reach far enough. By this time I had been under the car for hours and seriously dehydrated and frazzled and thought that I must have pulled the tube inside the tunnel out and spent ages trying to move it back or at least stop it coming further out. Actually this was not the case. At this point Sladey and Ian rescued me with help and tea and biscuits and I think I might have been too far gone to be really coherent but big thanks to them and James.

7. In fact I had not got the cable seated correctly at the bulkhead end and the loss of cable length was the length of tube that sticks out of the bulkhead that should have been located inside the outer cable end.

8 Anyway I eventually managed to get a couple of nuts on the end of the cable but it had no free play at the pedal end. I dropped the car down and found that I had a clutch and it seemed to work ok. The free play of a correctly adjusted clutch was about the same as the length taken up by my not seating the cable properly. I drove home that way and it was fine - I even went the twisty way as I couldn't bring myself to use the autoroute. So always keep sufficient free play in the cable in case you replace the cable! So fundamentally get you home does not have to be perfect.

9. When I got home Chris put it on the ramp and spent quite some time trying to get the cable seated correctly and we eventually took the cable out yet again and measured it - it was a tight fit - he chamfered the inside edge slightly before trying again and eventually managed to seat it ok. The fuel pipe clip was also in the way stopping it seating properly. The cable needs to be held at the exact right angle in order to fit on the end of the tube.

My best view of it from under the car from the back

What it should look like from directly underneath

The bulkhead showing how the tubes stick out - this is a 2.2 which may be slightly different - but it shows the general idea of what is at the bulkhead end that I could not see. I think the clutch is the bright one.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Glad you got sorted jason.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Jason, good job. Couldnt of been the easiest of jobs on a temp. Campsite
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
johnM
I need to get out more!

Re: Replace clutch cable al fresco

Post by johnM »

Well done jason. Fine DDK spirit there. I felt really bad leaving you too it but looks like you did a great job.

Kind regards.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
73SJM
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 73SJM »

Pleased to help out and that you were able to change it at the campsite....more than I would have been capable of doing, I just carry a few spare parts with the hope someone else can direct what to do with them.
Regards

Simon
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Hi Jason
Well done that man, glad it worked out ok
Jonathan
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
Matt black70
DDK forever

Post by Matt black70 »

Hi Jason, I was about to pm you to ask how you got on when I came across your thread. So glad you got it sorted.
I know you said you didn't want any help but I still felt guilty leaving without giving a hand.

Regards

Matt
Black 70T
72 Beetle 1302s
70 Triumph TR6
Corrado VR6 storm(kindly written of by a friendly police officer)
BMW E92 335D
Volvo V70 D5
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

congratulations on the impromptu repair.
Proper DDK spirit, Barry would be proud.
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Glad to be of help Jason. Well done for sorting it out. Although as a group we sorted the various problems out Barry was missed - make sure you come next time Barry!
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
early_911
DDK forever

Post by early_911 »

Well done Jason ... really glad you sorted it. Phil
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Jason

I have to take my hat off to you doing this al fresco on the temporary campsite that was karting nord. I wouldn't have the foggiest about where to begin with something like this.
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
ims101
I luv DDK!

Post by ims101 »

Nice one Jason :wink: good meeting you too
Ian
356 Replica with 911sc
Rita the Queen of Speed!
MdR

Post by MdR »

it's not a party until something gets broke...

Well done all & great write up - gives inspiration to fieldside repairs.
I remember the CLM'06 epic seat repair, door drop glass fix & clutch/flywheel issues. Wish I was there this time :roll:
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2