Porsche 911T 1969 restoration

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

siim911t
DDK Seasoned Poster

Porsche 911T 1969 restoration

Post by siim911t »

Hi

I'm a new member here in DDK and about to start a restoration of a 1969 911T from US. The plan is to go through a total nut and bolt restoration and most of the work is done by me. I have a motorcycle restoration backround and building a car is a new thing for me so please point me to the right direction if i'm about to ruin the car or something:)

After looking for a while i decided to buy that car from Netherlands. Car itself is quite original and complete as i like it and being a California car should lead to easy repairs on the body shell. First non original things that i noticed is wrong wheels (16 inch), MSD ignition and aftermarket air cleaners. PO has also widened the rear wheel arches by hammer, dolly and lots of filler.

Previous owner has been so kind and sprayed everything in yellow without masking non painted areas. Turn indicator reflectors are nice yellow and even brake calipers got their share. In engine bay there is evidence of house renovation materials used along with duck tape.

Interior is rotten and dash has seen many hours of sun in it's previous life and is all cracked. I slowly started to take the car apart to really see what's lurking underneath and how much body parts i need to order.

I got some new tools with the car...

Porsche 911T 1969
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Looks like that should keep you busy! Welcome to DDK and keep the pictures coming 8)
saxon
DDK forever

Post by saxon »

Good luck with it, looks like one of Joop's cars :)
2010 mini mayfair cooper s
1999 mini cooper works s

Peter
siim911t
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by siim911t »

Yes it is. I bought it a month ago from him. This car was standing at Joop's place for a year before it landed in my garage.
Porsche 911T 1969
owen nw
DDK slapper chatter

Post by owen nw »

are you keeping it yellow , what odes it need owen nw
ask me do i care. do i f**k
siim911t
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by siim911t »

Original color of this car is 6822 Champagne Yellow. I really like Signal Orange and Light Ivory Porsche colors but still haven't really decided which way to go.
Porsche 911T 1969
siim911t
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by siim911t »

I'm still doing disassembly and in the weekend a friend will come and help me remove the windshield and rear glass.

Porsche 911T 1969
dizzycap
Married to the DDK

Post by dizzycap »

Looks like a 915-gearstick. Probably a 5-speed upgrade. A lot of 69-70 T's came with 4-speeds, I think.
1970 911T Coupe (Sold)
1968 912 Coupe
saxon
DDK forever

Post by saxon »

5 speed was an option my 70 T was 5 speed .
2010 mini mayfair cooper s
1999 mini cooper works s

Peter
siim911t
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by siim911t »

Transmission type is 901/07. It's 5 speed and should fit the engine serial as well. I haven't ordered the CoA yet but will do in the near future to verify it's originality.
Porsche 911T 1969
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Good luck with the project Siim - it look likes you're at a similar point as myself.

Unfortunately I don't have your restoration skills so most of my work will be placed with recommended (and trusted) professionals - at least until the money runs out!!!!

All the best,
Darren
siim911t
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by siim911t »

Thanks for the support. Things are progressing kind of slowly due to work but have managed to get all the glass out and now everything is ready for taking the engine and dash off.

I must say i still havent figured out how to get the dash out. If any body can give me a tip then it would be lovely:)
Porsche 911T 1969
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

The dash does not come out.

The top comes off buy about 12 small nuts all across the dash top pressing accessed from 'inside' the dash /bulkhead. The dials all pull out of the dash after the mess of wires are all off, and the loom comes out via a set (4 or 6 I think) bulkhead gromets.

The actual steel part of the dash is welded in.

All the facia trim (aluminium extrusion/leather cloth are stuck on with double sided tape but mine came off 22 years ago so memorie's fading!
siim911t
DDK Seasoned Poster

Re: Porsche 911T 1969 restoration

Post by siim911t »

Hi

I managed to remove the dash and many bits and pieces as well. Here are the pics made today about the condition of the car. One front fender is not original and has been replaced. There are some rust in left hand side windshield corner but apart from that car looks still very solid. I hope to get it to media blasting soon.

Porsche 911T 1969
siim911t
DDK Seasoned Poster

Re: Porsche 911T 1969 restoration

Post by siim911t »

Hi

Although the car is not fully disassembled i decided to send few parts to soda blast. I have always used sand blasting for steel and soda was a new thing for me. Panels look really nice, no distortion whatsoever but rust is still there. I found out that some panels are now useless and must order new ones but doors and some panels are in quite a good shape.

Porsche 911T 1969