MEHARI

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

aircool
Married to the DDK

MEHARI

Post by aircool »

Really like these. Have been thinking of getting one for some time - still aircooled! - and seeing several in Italy rather increased the activity. Am I alone in this? Image
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

I love them – the big problem t hese days is that there is quite a following for them in France, so the prices have gone up for good ones. You still occasionally see ones abandoned or with a 'A Vendre' sign in more rural areas, but I suspect not too many bargains around. I think they're wonderful! 8)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I was drooling over a fully restored one in Spain the other week :) Always seems a good idea when you're sat having a cold beer in almost 40deg heat .. reality of a wet cold Yorkshire probo means the novelty would wear off pretty quick
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

As James says, they're great in the Summer down by the Med - I used one for the whole summer in the S of France back in '79 - but the appeal wouldn't be the same over here.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

I recently finished a 2CV restoration and am currently restoring an AK400 (2CV van) - the Mehari is basically a 2CV with a different body. As such parts are plentiful and fairly reasonably priced.

A Mehari would be a good project if you can find one at the right money and great fun too.

Worth looking at the Club Cassis site www.mehariclub.com

Darren
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

There's just the body sitting in my sandblasters yard... tempted for a while now. The right running gear and a decent drop would make for go-kart like fun without the VW rust issues. Mind you, he does have a gennie UVA frame which might be more fun :wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

cubist wrote:Mind you, he does have a gennie UVA frame which might be more fun :wink:

- is that a 'Fugitive' ? Always fancied one of those !
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

You're right, me too. Which got me thinking earlier... so, a swift burst across the fen - all back roads, lots of handbrake - and I was in his yard. Ever so slightly out of alignment but swapped with him for some found chunky offroady treads and he's going to blast it and give it a quick coat of zinc for me by thursday. Definitely not going to be a mudplugger, a panscraper yes but no mud here thank you very much. Yet another bloody project to hide! More as and when... :wink:

(Flat brown, side panels made from extended trekker sills - trekker sectioned/narrowed bonnet,
stripped bug seats, 205 30 18 over banded 18" TT steels (in garage...), lots of rivets, no gauges,
'48 beetle wheel, sounds like a good way to use up some scrap rather than weigh it in... )
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

JB-L
DDK forever

Post by JB-L »

Wouldn't a VW Thing be a bit closer to our spiritual home, similar looks/purpose and still with an aircooled engine?
I love the smell of burnt rubber and hydrocarbons in the morning, it smells of......victory.
MdR

Post by MdR »

cubist wrote:Image

(Flat brown, side panels made from extended trekker sills - trekker sectioned/narrowed bonnet,
stripped bug seats, 205 30 18 over banded 18" TT steels (in garage...), lots of rivets, no gauges,
'48 beetle wheel, sounds like a good way to use up some scrap rather than weigh it in... )
Hell. Yeah! 8)
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

MdR wrote:
cubist wrote:Image

Hell. Yeah! 8)
+1 It just needs one of these and it's done :shock:

Back to the Mehari - very cool, but I wonder if it's not one of those fond memories from lazy, sunny holidays which doesn't really translate well to home - like Ouzo
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

YES! YES! YES! ^ ^ ^
dragonfly wrote: I wonder if it's not one of those fond memories from lazy, sunny holidays which doesn't really translate well to home - like Ouzo
And that surprise irritation... she seemed such a nice, homely local girl :wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

KS

Post by KS »

cubist wrote:
dragonfly wrote: I wonder if it's not one of those fond memories from lazy, sunny holidays which doesn't really translate well to home - like Ouzo
And that surprise irritation... Bootsy seemed such a nice, homely local chap :wink:
:shock: :shock:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
mycar

Post by mycar »

Erm, :shock: scuse for butting in but.... what is this ??

It has twin turbos, yes ? What`s that alloy thing, front and center, being fed by braided hoses...What`s that contraption that looks like a weather center on top of the manifolds ? What ?? What ??

Cheers, Mike. (never seen anything like it in my life, no I haven`t)
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

mycar wrote:Erm, :shock: scuse for butting in but.... what is this ??
Found via an image search for a Pikes Peak buggy, some of which I remembered having some serious Porsche power. It's in an article about Canepa Design here:http://www.sportscaradvisors.com/sports ... experience
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea