Tripmeter installation on 911/912

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

100702mark
Married to the DDK

Tripmeter installation on 911/912

Post by 100702mark »

I need to get my old Brantz retrotrip installed in my 67 swb and wondered whether anyone had any experience of either the Brantz wheel mounted sensor or the gearbox mounted sensor.

I'd be interested to hear what works well and what doesnt in particular on wheel sensor where did you mount it and how did you then run the wires?

On the gearbox mount is it the standard european thread advertised by the likes of Demon Tweaks and again how did you run the wiring?

I did post a question at the end of last year in the motorsport section but that doesn't seem to get the views and I had one helpfull response but just wanted to poll a wider audience.

Many thanks

Mark
Histrally
DDK Fanatic

Post by Histrally »

I fitted my Brantz 2 tripmeter into my LH drive 911 regularity car. I used a universal wheel probe and picked up pulses from the disc bolts on the right hand front wheel. You will need to remove the front disc. I bought a sensor bracket from Tuthill. Whilst you could make your own this came ready finished to install.
I ran the wire along the brake hose and up through the smuggler box before coming back into the front compartment. I mounted the trip on an old glove box lid via an aluminium plate which remains hinged as I have my relays behind and need access. I have seen some people hide the trip in the glove box itself.
If you have a RH drive it would be best to mount on the LH wheel.
Hope that helps.
Jerry
911 2.7 Carrera Rep
Regularity rally prepared (For sale)
Subaru Legacy Tourer
niels
DDK Fanatic

Brantz

Post by niels »

I've connected the retrotrip with the cable sensor. Easy to install, very accurate readings.
The retrotrip itself is mounted on the glove compartment lid. I've bought another one for a couple of euros to do this. The original can still be mounted back.
911 2.4 E 1972