911S what colour?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

DMLH1234
DDK Newbie

911S what colour?

Post by DMLH1234 »

Dear all. Last year I bought a RHD MN 1972 911 2.4S after much good advice from Nick Moss. Nick now has the car and is about to begin restoration, including a bare metal respray. Although I QUITE like the original light ivory colour and understand that from a purists' perspective it would be more collectible in the original colour, this is my one chance if I want to go for something else.

My current shortlist is SLATE GREY (although not technically, I believe, an available option at the time my car was built), GOLD, or maybe a powder blue.

Any thoughts, suggestions that might sway me before I have to let Nick know? Pictures of the same or similar model in other colours would be appreciated.

PS interior is black and not thinking of changing that at this stage.

If we can find one, we will post a picture of the car as it is today.

Dan H
Dan
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Light ivory is the colour of the moment! It looks fantastic and much as I'd love slate grey I'd go original.

Says the hypocrite who sprayed his car silver when it was originally viper green! ;)
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

Dan

I assume you are restoring it for your own use & enjoyment - so paint it whatever colour you like (you are the one driving it, and I don't think you will ever be totally smitten as you only 'quite' like the original colour). It's a bare metal re-paint so it isn't the original paint. You may prefer to choose a colour that was available that year, but not critical.

I am sure there will be plenty of disagreement - in fact I would be disappointed if there wasn't :wink:

There might be a financial penalty for your choice - how large or small -I don't know, but I am sure it will be superb car.

Ian
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

My order would be Light Ivory, Gold (if it's like the one below) and then Slate Grey.

Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I like original cars .... mainly because I'm an old romantic at heart & imagine myself back in 1973 driving out of the showroom in my new 2.4S & heading for the alps 8)

But, if you're going to keep th ecar & you're not bothered by resale, paint it a colour you like. I like the safety colours :)

Only thing I would say is , definitely paint it in a period colour
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
visualfx
I luv DDK!

Post by visualfx »

Hi Dan,

I was in a similar dilemma some time ago, when I first travelled to look at my car I said to my friend “please let it be anything else be green” What did I end up with?

Special order Green!

But for originality I had to go with it :cry: still it’s growing on me, I would have loved Ivory but I’m biased

Garry
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

Personally I'd go with light ivory as it is a great colour. If I was back in 72 choosing, think I may have gone for light yellow or gulf blue, but then chartreuse looks great.....

not really helping sorry!
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

In case a pic helps your decision Dan?
We have painted several cars in light ivory and one slate grey. Slate grey was not an option in 72 but then any colour could be ordered as a "special order" colour.

Slate grey: on a 68 T

Light Ivory- on a 73 RS

I am also in a similar process at the moment, we have a ST based race in the oven and considering if it should be albert blue or gold metallic.

Good luck with the choice, but I think being a RHD 2.4S Light Ivory would win it for me.

HTH

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
DMLH1234
DDK Newbie

Post by DMLH1234 »

Thanks, folks. Please keep the pics and advice coming - they really help.

Here's how the car looks now. Nick thinks maybe this is not the original Light Ivory in any case - a bit too white?

http://img233.imageshack.us/i/91124s.jpg

Dan

PS sorry not really sure how to upload a picture properly![/img]
Dan
Martyn1
DDK Fanatic

Post by Martyn1 »

Maybe im out of step on originality but if it was my car and I was creating it for my pleasure it would be a tough choice between Aubergine and Blood Orange
Dreaming of a 911 S Currently Porscheless.
Ex cars 993 Targa and 997 C2S......
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi,

Here are some pics taken from the 1972 colour charts.
First standard colours

And then "special order" colours

I have high res images if that helps.

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

DMLH1234 wrote:Dear all. Last year I bought a RHD MN 1972 911 2.4S after much good advice from Nick Moss. Nick now has the car and is about to begin restoration, including a bare metal respray.
What is MN?
Tell us more about your car. Is it a coupe or targa? Sunroof or non-sunroof? etc
Although I QUITE like the original light ivory colour and understand that from a purists' perspective it would be more collectible in the original colour, this is my one chance if I want to go for something else.

My current shortlist is SLATE GREY (although not technically, I believe, an available option at the time my car was built), GOLD, or maybe a powder blue.

Any thoughts, suggestions that might sway me before I have to let Nick know? Pictures of the same or similar model in other colours would be appreciated.

PS interior is black and not thinking of changing that at this stage.
Light Ivory definitely. And keep the interior black.

DMLH1234 wrote:Here's how the car looks now. Nick thinks maybe this is not the original Light Ivory in any case - a bit too white?

http://img233.imageshack.us/i/91124s.jpg
The link doesn't work.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

link works for me :)

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Andrew Dyer
DDK Fanatic

Post by Andrew Dyer »

I would keep it original, but Slate Grey (Steve McQueen) looks great.

I have a white 2.2S at Sportwagen at the moment, that i am keeping white just because i couldn't live with the original Sepia Brown
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

Andrew Dyer wrote:i am keeping white just because i couldn't live with the original Sepia Brown
:shock:

I LOVE Sepia.... it's très 8) :)
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.