911 engine in a 912

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

ed_b28
DDK Fanatic

911 engine in a 912

Post by ed_b28 »

Can someone tell me how easy is it to put a 911 flat 6 in a 67 912? And how late an engine will fit?
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Physically, any 911 engine will fit, some guy in the USA has put a GT3 engine in one IIRC. :shock:

To fit a 2.0 or 2.2 you need to add 911 rear engine mounts and the oil tank, sender and gauge. For larger motors a front mounted oil cooler is recommended.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
ed_b28
DDK Fanatic

Post by ed_b28 »

Thanks Nick. Is it a serious amount of work to add an oil tank and the engine mounts and what sort of price are oil tanks? Sorry I've no idea what's really involved :? . It's a 2.7 1974 motor that's running and has been tested. Any idea how much it would cost to put in? Thanks
kevbo
DDK Newbie

Post by kevbo »

I've read that in addition to the oil tank,gauges and engine mounts that the rear torsion bars need to be changed to account for heavier engine, is this right?
912jeff
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 912jeff »

Hi ed

Best to break this down into sections

Mechanical

Engine and Gearbox including all engine and gearbox mounts.

Body

Grind out 912 engine mounts, and chassis rail corner fillets and weld in new 911 engine mounts.

Cut holes in RH engine bay inner wing, to take oil tank, (unless you want a R replica, in which case you will need a central oil tank). Cut outs vary depending on the age of the oil tank being fitted.

Electrics

Additional wiring required for oil tank, and possibly speedo drive, depending on donor gearbox

911 rev counter, small combined gauge, and large combined gauge. Speedo if switching from cable to electronic.

Brakes

Vented discs all round requiring spaced calipers

Suspension

With your 2.7 engine, I would fit 25mm rear torsion bars, and I would recommend that modified long wheel base (shortened to short wheel base length) and strengthened are used. These rear arms will improve the handling of any swb car, and are the main reason why lwb cars handle better. Its not down to the increased wheel base.

We also have the required jigs to shortenen the lwb arms
Fenn Lane Motorsport 01455 213998

1965 porsche 912