sat nav

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

brembo
DDK rules my life!

sat nav

Post by brembo »

Hi
Any suggestions for a good value for money sat nav?
Regards Dougie.
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

A map :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist :)
Barry

Post by Barry »

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 250 (from a couple of years ago).

I bought it to replace an older (four or five years I guess), and less well known brand.

I have to say, whilst the packaging and screen mount are just about perfect, the actual performance of the device is very poor. It often selects completely inappropriate routes, to the point of you can make a note of the 'arrival time' it suggests, ignore it's route suggestion, take another junction (or whatever), and see the 'arrival time' change by 1/2 hour for the better.

It also suffers from a lot of re-calculating, pulling you off at motorway junctions, only to send you up, over the roundabout, and back onto the same motorway in the same direction :roll: .

I guess the bottom line is that you need to know quite accurately where you are going before you set off, and just use the satnav for confirmation, and the final approach talk-in.

For all of the above, it's never actually failed to get me somewhere, and it's still better than a map. Deep down though, I suspect that the Tom-Tom competition may be a higher quality, and therefore, value bet.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

I bought a TomTom GO910 for Classic LeMans in 2006 and I've updated the maps twice - it keeps working just fine.

I've looked at the newer devices and yes, they're smaller with a bigger screen and a few more features but there's nothing worth upgrading for.

So three years on, I'm still a TomTom fan :-) What's telling to me is that everyone who implements SatNav onto a PDA phone - puts TomTom on...

HTH

P
--
DDK Member #890
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Tom Tom One has worked OK for me for the past 2-3 years.
Updated the maps and the service once, only to find that the UK post codes are not as effective as before :cry:
Only criticism I have is that the spoken directions are sometimes about 50 metres too late in cities, so I drive with one eye on the screen.
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
sladey

Post by sladey »

I've had a road angel 6000, and borrowed my brothers tomtom when I went to Europe of the last couple of years - the roadangel doesn't include european maps but the Tomtom does

The quality of instruction on the tomtom was way better than on the roadangel - on the tomtom it will say "take the second exit, A60 signposted to Notttingham" - on the angel it will just say "take the second exit" - if you get a roundabout with funny service road exits you're never sure whether they count as an exit.

The road angel also irritates me because pulling onto the motorway from a service station it says 'leave the motorway" - it uses 'leave the motorway' for both joining it and leaving it.

Also had the same problems as Barry on route selection. I tend to talk back to it a lot, and choose alternate routes just to annoy it.

I'm probably going to get the tomtom for the iphone when it comes out - due out soon. http://iphone.tomtom.com/

HTH

Mark
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I have a Garmin Nuvi 770 ( incl Europe / USA maps + speed cameras & traffic) which has been superb + has useful features like multiple plotting for routes etc ( usefull on DDK events ;) ) . I also have Good pub guide on it + AA B&B guide which are both really useful as I do like my pubs 8)

Only down side is the handsfree bluetooth speaker is really crap.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

If you can live with a brick sized Sat Nav - Tesco's are doing the Navman iCN750 for about £80 (down from £160ish). They stil have a few in my local one. Superb bit of kit (only downside is that it is large.....).
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

i am not a huge fan of Stat Navs, Larry and i seem to do just fine with a good old large scale map

But we decided to buy one for out trip to Switzerland and after looking at Many ended up with a TomTom. its easy to use, never got us lost once. even has all the hotels & petrol stations marked.

and it happily kept itself topped up on a 6V system. :P

haven't used it in the UK yet.
Last edited by Helen on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
RichiRich
Married to the DDK

Post by RichiRich »

I've owned TomToms for years now; the earlier versions were a little buggy, but I recently bought a One XL with European maps as a cheap SatNav and it works really well :)
2000 996 Turbo
Speed Yellow / Black

Ex - 2003 996 3.6 Carrera 4S
Arctic Silver / Black

Ex - 1992 964 3.3 Turbo X33 (#777)
Midnight Blue / Classic Grey
East Coast Dave
Married to the DDK

Post by East Coast Dave »

the bottom line is that you need to know quite accurately where you are going before you set off
I much prefer to use maps. My dad swears by his TomTom, he's all over the UK in his truck.

The office I work in is at the end of a no through road on a business park and there are about 10 trucks every day trying to turn their trailers on a very tight bit of tarmac. That's got to be down to reading their satnav screens rather than the road sign at the top of the hill that says "no entry to Springfield Business Park".

The trouble with them is usually operator error - satnav: ON, brain: OFF :roll:
"Let's be careful out there"

SOLD:
1968 LHD 912 targa
& some veedubs
(to pay for growing family - and house!)
pb911
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pb911 »

Tom Tom software is coming to the new iPhone - Tom Tom software is easy to use in its own hardware too.

Paul
RichiRich
Married to the DDK

Post by RichiRich »

East Coast Dave wrote:
The trouble with them is usually operator error - satnav: ON, brain: OFF :roll:
So true!!

"Man follows sat nav to cliff edge": http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 962212.stm
2000 996 Turbo
Speed Yellow / Black

Ex - 2003 996 3.6 Carrera 4S
Arctic Silver / Black

Ex - 1992 964 3.3 Turbo X33 (#777)
Midnight Blue / Classic Grey
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

i have a navman f20 which i brought cheap (about £100) about 2 yrs ago.. its very simple to use, works perfectly and still available i think.. would get my vote, esp if you can get a 2nd hand one from ebay for £50 or something!
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

ps.. the reviews of f20 are all the same; no picture viewer, no bluetooth, no mp3, etc., etc. personally i have other things to do those jobs, and they manage a far better job of them than any satnav on the market, so it wasn't important to me; i just wanted something to tell me the way

the f20 i brought came with full euro mapping, speedcameras, loads of POI's, and the ability to download lots more and update, parking and fuel buttons which just take you straight to the nearest petrol station/parking when you press them, screen mount, dashboard mount, pc connection cable, car charger, 240v house charger, etc., etc. all included. the tomtom my dad brought about the same time came with UK maps only, no speedcameras, no house-charger, and cost £50 more..

its guidance is spot on; the only time i've gone wrong when i've used it is when i've thought "the ol' girl doesn't know what she's on about" and ignored her instructions! can't fault it at all, let alone as a cheap bit of kit!

one thing i have noticed though is that a lot of the newer satnavs have things like lane guidance which is handy, and some have inteligent route guidance which takes into account time of day, traffic flow, etc. plus some can be upgraded with a tmc receiver if required to add live traffic info..