off topic:- toll charges down to south of france

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

i make the trip fairly regularly but can't really help much more with tolls.. I have the liber-t thing already mentioned for the tolls which helps when travelling alone, but if someone else is with me in the car, they're awake :lol:
the liber-t works well, but not much cheaper unless you're on some monthly scheme and using it every day for work (bit like an oyster card i guess; not much benefit if you live in manchester)

route wise i can't help much either; i leave after work, last train to calais, drive to paris, stay in a mates hotel, then next day drive to my aunties in montpellier for a late lunch, and on to monaco for dinner and a couple of days with friends/family.

the return leg i drive straight up through lyon back to calais; far more boring (the roads from orlean to montpellier are fantastic and i never get bored driving along hte coast to monaco from there) but very quick; can consistently do monaco to calais in 10hrs without particularly breaking the speedlimit

we're planning a similar trip for an autumn holiday this year, except we're going to head home throuhg germany and stop in leuven and bruges for a day or two on the way back, hopefully taking in the porsche museum en-route

b :)

ps.. i think there is a safer way to get a liber-t thing than sending cc info via email; i will speak to my rel's in france and see what they can tell me sometime this week
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

One of my mates is getting married in St Trop (Brussels is too mundane, clearly) on July 4th, so I'll be bombing down in either my C3 or a turbo and visiting a friend in Paris on the way back to the UK.

I never had the problem with a RHD 911 to either wind down the window myself and reach out or quickly nipping out of the car.

One lesson I DID learn with the bloody 964 is to keep a spare key in ones trouser pocket. My 964 was equipped with a fancy alarm which locked the doors the moment you drive off. I arrived at the peage, engine running, Fun Loving Criminals on nearly full volume, quickly nipped out, paid, but because of my momentum the door fell into the lock.

You guessed it: car making a lot of noise, stupid music too loud, 14 people waiting behind you and one fool trying to get his fingers into a window (1 cm open for ventilation on a 911 :roll:) to break into his car .

Not an experience I want to repeat.

Just a thought: 914=>always LHD?

Good luck,

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc