Nightmare journey!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Nightmare journey!

Post by pmjt »

It seemed like SUCH a good idea - meetings in North London, hop upto Newmarket for an overnight and dinner with clients, meetings the next day then up to Yorkshire for a team day. Leave the Audi at home - take the RS for the first proper drive in well over a year......

Started out well - cracking drive up the M3, round the M25 and into Trent Park - just over 100 miles and smooth as silk. Nervous leaving her in the car park but relieved when I came back and she was in one piece!

Next stop, another 80 miles onto my hotel just outside Newmarket - Tuddenham Mill - stunning conversion of an old building and very comfortable. Went to pick up one of our Japanese clients while his colleagues came in the Taxi - he loved the noise of the RS as it came on cam 8)

After a day of heavy meetings - took five hours from Newmarket to Swinton Park in North Yorkshire - not seen rain and bad driving conditions that bad for many, many years - scary sphincter clenching moment when aquaplaning on the A1 - but it's more easily managed in a lightweight car than a 2.5 ton Audi A8 :shock:

Relieved to get to the hotel, great meetings yesterday, early to bed and up early to head home.....

This morning beautiful sunshine to drive in (too hot to have the roof open! :shock:) - made 200 miles from Swinton Park, not stopping for 2 3/4 hours until I made it to the services on the A43 / M40 junction to take on fuel.

Carried on straight away after checking oil - joined the A34 heading south and thought "cool, going to be home early for a change!" - famous last words.

In the outside lane about nine miles from Newbury, I felt the power go and watched the rev counter die to zero :cry: Eery sense of 'silence' before realising what had happened.

Mercifully nothing else in the inside lane so I coasted her to the slip road and then gently onto the verge - I was gutted - pulled myself together and thought "this is the ruddy CDI again!" - fiddled with everything in the back - checked the fuses and then realised I was going to have to call out the RAC.

After three hours a really nice recovery truck guy arrived and loaded her on - Bob Watson had said to come over whenever I could get there and five hours after loosing power on the M40 we pulled into his yard.

Bob and I both stunned to find BOTH the CDI AND the coil had gone :shock: Might be where she was in storage for a year - might be because it was one of these ruddy Brazilian Bosch coils (I remembered Vic's post a couple of years ago) - might be 'cos she'd been on a long blat (but temp was perfect all the way).

Anyway, I was VERY relieved to arrive home seven hours later than planned :roll: - CDI's gone off to be repaired and now got to find a proper black Bosch coil.....

Can't possibly thank Bob enough - and I really MUST get one of the old CDI's I have refurbed and keep it with the tools in the car :roll:

Next post - anyone know where to find a proper black Bosch coil? :roll:

Still - it's fun driving old cars innit :lol:

P
--
DDK Member #890
hot66

Post by hot66 »

... might be her way of punishing you for not driving her for 12 months :shock: :wink: :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
pmjt

Post by pmjt »

hot66 wrote:... might be her way of punishing you for not driving her for 12 months :shock: :wink: :lol:
Yep, think you're right.

I've always said the CDI defines the 'sound' of the engine - this one sounds very different to the one that came out - might be because it's working unlike the original :lol:

Better start making up for lost time ;) I originally put a limit of 3,000 miles on the insurance policy - I can see that's going up to 10,000 on Monday :lol:

P
--
DDK Member #890
Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

Sorry to hear that Shag........................serves u right for going to Trent Park without buying me a beer !!

ps still running on an unknown age, black coil contributed by a Porsche GB director , from corner of his own shed [ read somewhere recently longest serving member ] so some enthusiasts in there!

Think of all the fun u had at Bobs !!!
pmjt

Post by pmjt »

Vic Cohen wrote:Sorry to hear that Shag........................serves u right for going to Trent Park without buying me a beer !!
It was a touch and go meeting - but I'll have to nip back so will defo shout you a bolly or two ;-)
Vic Cohen wrote:ps still running on an unknown age, black coil contributed by a Porsche GB director , from corner of his own shed [ read somewhere recently longest serving member ] so some enthusiasts in there!
No question of that - they just need to get more involved elsewhere.... :roll: anyway - I'm going to take my RS for a blat 8)
Vic Cohen wrote:Think of all the fun u had at Bobs !!!
He really is a top bloke - had a very nice RHD RS in there - about 20 away from mine (so in RHD terms, prob only a couple away from mine) in a very unusual colour - 'Leaf Green' I think.

P
--
DDK Member #890
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

pmjt wrote:
He really is a top bloke - had a very nice RHD RS in there - about 20 away from mine (so in RHD terms, prob only a couple away from mine) in a very unusual colour - 'Leaf Green' I think.

P
Very rare that. Only two leaf green RS's, one now painted a different colour in the States, but I had no idea either of them were RHD.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
pmjt

Post by pmjt »

210bhp wrote: Very rare that. Only two leaf green RS's, one now painted a different colour in the States, but I had no idea either of them were RHD.

I'll pm you the chassis number but, looking in the bible I don't think it was that colour originally :wink:

Still very nice with it's original plastic horn push and very correct interior. I'd have said quite recent paint but done very nicely.

P
--
DDK Member #890
pmjt

Post by pmjt »

Finger trouble earlier - it was 'Light Green' 6868, NOT 'Leaf Green' :oops:

P
--
DDK Member #890
964RS

Post by 964RS »

OH SO YOU'RE POSTING AGAIN ARE YOU STRANGER?

Sent you my new contact details now I've joined the ranks of the unemployed.....nice to see those still working are having a crap time :wink: :wink:
oldtimer
DDK forever

Post by oldtimer »

what does a Brazilian Bosch coil look like and how can you tell if you've got one fitted ?
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

oldtimer wrote:what does a Brazilian Bosch coil look like and how can you tell if you've got one fitted ?
its the same as a german Bosch coil but, hasn't got any hair. :wink:
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
Barry

Post by Barry »

Helen wrote:
oldtimer wrote:what does a Brazilian Bosch coil look like and how can you tell if you've got one fitted ?
More to the point, it's the same as a german one but doesn't work ... :wink:

Sorry, dunno I'm afraid :roll: .

Oh, hello Phil, BTW :hello2:
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

The Brazilian coils are silver in colour whereas the original (German) ones are black.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
pmjt

Post by pmjt »

Brasilian ones are silver - the only one I've known to work are the black one's - tried a few places but yet to find one :-(

P
--
DDK Member #890
pmjt

Post by pmjt »

Helen wrote:
BOOM BOOM :lol:

P
--
DDK Member #890