pitfalls of cheap 911s...

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

shelltoes
DDK addict

pitfalls of cheap 911s...

Post by shelltoes »

Ok. I know the adage, buy the best Porsche you can afford, but I’m skint, and ive just been to look at a 67 911T restoration project.
Basically I need some sense talking into me as I am giving serious shrift to buying it! I am under no illusion, its rot as a pear needing sills and floors, battery tray and work at the front and probably some work at the rear too. The actual panels are ok, some sort of cosmetic cover up in its past I suspect. I couldn’t even get it running, although the guy assures me it was ok “just last week”
I know its gonna be a money pit but im not looking at show-car just untidy daily driver.
What do you think???
shelltoes
DDK addict

Post by shelltoes »

It is VERY cheap and I would sell my ’14 to part fund the restoration, so I would at least have a little money to spend…

Also I love short wheelbase cars so I know I am stuck with non-galvanised bodies…
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

is it a complete car??

and how much is it??
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
shelltoes
DDK addict

Post by shelltoes »

Yeah its complete but not 100% correct for the year, and its cheaper than you can imagine…
shelltoes
DDK addict

Post by shelltoes »

and ive got a pretty furtive imagination...
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

well if its very cheap i would say go for it well thats me as i buy anything :wink:
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
shelltoes
DDK addict

Post by shelltoes »

It’s my initial reaction too…
BUT to have a professional do the work (as I am shite) is probably gonna cost 3k…

Someone tell me NO!
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

shelltoes wrote:It’s my initial reaction too…
BUT to have a professional do the work (as I am shite) is probably gonna cost 3k…!
Hard to say without knowing more but my bet is that it would cost a lot more than £3K to get somebody to do it if it is as bad as you say
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
shelltoes
DDK addict

Post by shelltoes »

Im only thinking get it solid enough for the MOT. No paint or body, just the bare minimum underneath stuff. You really think more?
Ok maybe a little more for brakes etc. I can only guess...
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

well if you aint doing the work yourself then i wouldnt go near it

as it will cost a fortune
shelltoes
DDK addict

Post by shelltoes »

Hmmm…
I still need someone to really put me off…
How much of a fortune?? Worst case??
Come on tell me straight!
g3ngs
DDK slapper chatter

Post by g3ngs »

not wanting to put you off, as I think its a great idea. Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't and all that.

£3k can still be quite a hefty budget depending on how and were it gets spent

Also depending on how much the car actually costs + all the accidentals and incidentals that you are going to be hit with during the MOTing process, could you actually go and buy something that requires less time and effort and is MOTed already?
964 C2 - with much love from AFN - Chris Turner - Tongala and JZ Machtech
2.2 911E - looking lovely
Mercedes E270cdi Elegance - 7 seats of fully optioned luxo-shed
BMW C1 - Why? Check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9fZEar ... re=related
shelltoes
DDK addict

Post by shelltoes »

That is a good point, but if the car plus welding hypothetically comes to 5k, what can you get for that? Not much. An unknown quantity, maybe a bit more shiny, but that’s not the plan. At least I will know the work has been done to a reasonable standard. I can do the body and interior when I sell some organs or something…
Maybe im being to optimistic, could I get sills, floors and the other stuff done for 3k?
Also I guess im being trusting on the running gear too, I haven’t even seen it move…

Although im still tempted…
g3ngs
DDK slapper chatter

Post by g3ngs »

Well it all depends on how much metal it needs, unless you've seen it before take a look here, with a bottle of vodka and a calculator for company
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/sho ... is_pg1.htm

If it doesn't run or has major problems when it does I would seriously doubt the quality of the steering, braking and suspension as well. It all adds up as these are going to be looked for the MOT, and that not even befor you factor in the I may as well do that factor as if the gearbox / clutch are pants or its really out of tune then its going to be no fun to drive.

Again see Pelican or mittelmotor.de for all the incidentals and keep adding the numbers up until it hurts and then consider the cost and time of fitting, drink the vodka and then decide if its worth it.

Run away, unless the guy is willing to either do the work required if you give him the money to do it, or he is giving it away
964 C2 - with much love from AFN - Chris Turner - Tongala and JZ Machtech
2.2 911E - looking lovely
Mercedes E270cdi Elegance - 7 seats of fully optioned luxo-shed
BMW C1 - Why? Check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9fZEar ... re=related
shelltoes
DDK addict

Post by shelltoes »

Ok, a voice of reason. Your right, if it turns out the car does not run I will leave it. (Probably). Apparently it has stood for around six months, which does not bode well for the brakes etc,
But im still not turned off by the price of the bits it needs, but I am still nervous about my ability to actually DO the work, which means, I guess I should get someone else to do it, the cost of THAT is the scary part… its not the parts guv, it’s the labour…