A Suitable donor

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

T4_356
DDK Fanatic

A Suitable donor

Post by T4_356 »

Fortunately I mean of the beetle variety not the type you find on the NHS so it shouldn’t be too difficult should it?? The question is what am I looking for? I really need a checklist of stuff. Just to let you know that I am probably (due to a lack of space) going to do it the hard way and remove whole suspensions from cars at breakers yards and take them home to refurbish. The thought of having to get rid of the beetle shell is just too much!

1)From what I have seen on Simon’s and the Chesil website front and rear suspension once refurbished bolt on so I need these: (what type/year)?
2)Foot peddles and linkage
3) Steering box but not shaft as that is supplied from Chesil…Correct?
4)I am buying the floorpan from Chesil….is that it then?
:?:
JonR
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by JonR »

Hi,

What type of chassis are you buying from Chesil ? Swing axle or IRS. This will influence the parts you need
T4_356
DDK Fanatic

Post by T4_356 »

Hi, The IRS version.
JonR
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by JonR »

To the best of my knowledge you will need:

1. Ball joint (68 >) torsion beam front suspension assembly. An assembly from one of the larger CC, disc braked cars would be best. You'll need to either lower or fit height adjusters to the beam.

2. IRS rear suspension arms, drive shafts & gearbox (I believe the spring plates & torsion arms come with the chassis from Chesil ?)

3. Foot pedal assembly.

4. Steering box & drop arm. Chesil can supply a steering column, but at a price.

5. Fuel tank (Chesil modify this to move the filler location)

6. Wiper motor assembly.

7. Brake master cylinder & reservoir

8. Handbrake & gear lever assemblies

Of course you may want to buy some of these parts new rather than recondition from a donor. I hope this helps, it's not definitive as I'm probably at about the same stage of the build as you. I'm sure someone will correct anything I've got wrong !
T4_356
DDK Fanatic

Post by T4_356 »

Thanks for that JonR, just need to go down to the breakers yard! Do you know whether the steering column is shortened by Chesil, or is it the standard length?
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

The steering column needs to be lengthened (and needs to be a single piece item, not the later UJ unit).

Even the late (IRS) donor car should provide pedal assembly, h'brake/gear linkage and wiper motor - I presume if Chesil provide the donor chassis they give you all the bits like this from the donor car that will be of use.

Which master cylinder you need when you build an IRS kit (1302/3 or 13/15/1600) depends upon the condition of the donor chassis framehead (1302/3) and whether the original mountings are kept or have to be cut off and replaced with a new (13/15/1600) framehead.

For the front-end I picked up a complete front beam on ebay for £22. I got the column and flanges fron Grant at Beetlelink - he has a huge stash of parts.

Don't forget that you need a Mini vented fuel cap to go with Chesil's modified petrol tank!
Alan @ CanfordClassics
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

I need to check but I did know of a complete beetle floor pan with most of the parts you had listed, all either new or reconditioned, inlcuding a lowered beam. Also had four empi 8s. The body was to far gone so he still has the chasis, ( I think). Whats is worth and I will swing by and see if its still there in his garage.

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
T4_356
DDK Fanatic

Post by T4_356 »

Hi Shambly....thanks for the added info...'Lengthened' steering column eh! Have to speak to them and see if they require an exchange unit. It will not be something I would do myself. Cheers for that. I am sure i will be refering to your site during the build too!

Hi Alan, Yes i would be definately interested in the floorpan and bits if it is still available. It sounds as it might save me a bit of time. If you could give me an email about where it is and how much that would be great. (email shown on my profile).

Thanks. :)
Alan @ CanfordClassics
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

No problem, I will try to swing by his house over the weekend and see if it still there, and how much he wants for it.?

It is located in Poole Dorset, well it was there around 10 months ago.

Alan.UK
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
T4_356
DDK Fanatic

Post by T4_356 »

Thanks Alan, Thats great. Poole is pretty good for me too. (surrey)
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

Just noticed this speedster body and chassis for sale on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 57593&rd=1

Might be an old legend kit. Those wheel arches :shock: need serious rework :shock: as I just don't see how you'd get a wide rear wheel under them......
I think the seller is optimistic when comparing his shell with the pictured finished cars :!: :!:
g3ngs
DDK slapper chatter

suitable doner

Post by g3ngs »

After a suitable doner

How about one of these :?:

Tasty

964 C2 - with much love from AFN - Chris Turner - Tongala and JZ Machtech
2.2 911E - looking lovely
Mercedes E270cdi Elegance - 7 seats of fully optioned luxo-shed
BMW C1 - Why? Check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9fZEar ... re=related
JonR
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by JonR »

Looks good to me. Most people undercook the meat nowadays.

By the way, I'd be cautious of assuming what chesil supply. With an IRS chassis they don't, for example, supply the trailing arms or drive shafts. When I asked them, they wanted £90 per trailing arm.

It's probably worth a call to Chesil to confirm what will and won't be attached to the chassis (e.g pedal cluster, rear torsion bars and spring plates). Let us know the verdict !