Off topic watch chat for the horologists out there

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

PAUL CALDERBANK
DDK above all

Post by PAUL CALDERBANK »

I love a good looking watch as much as the next man (would love a white or blue dial heuer montreal)...but.... after looking at this thread and reading about watches costing several thousand pounds that cost £160 to service and have pretty poor time keeping/reliability (not to mention spending a lot of time in someones sock drawer), I have to say that I'm rapidly moving towards Helens school of thought on this topic.

C'mon guys admit it, once it's wrapped up in a good quality steel case, with a nice strap, you just can't beat a quartz movement!! :lol: :lol:
dugsud
Married to the DDK

Post by dugsud »

Just for timekeeping alone Quartz watches are of course the most accurate and cheap option just like a Toyota Prius is far more sensible than a classic 911 for going to Le Mans!

Quartz watches have no soul, a watch with a movement is like a living thing on your wrist.

Last edited by dugsud on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Sudron
83' 911SC
Triumph Tiger 1050
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

dugsud wrote:Just for timekeeping alone Quartz watches are of course the most accurate and cheap option just like a Toyota Prius is far more sensible than a classic 911 for going to Le Mans!

Quartz watches have no soul, a watch with a movement is like a living thing on your wrist.
A good point well made.
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

phew you just beat me to it.its about way more than keeping time, just as driving your old porsche is about way more than getting from A to B.

ive got a 44 year old sub (same age as me) that doesnt keep great time, but i love it to bits.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Evil J Guano
DDK forever

Post by Evil J Guano »

ive got a 44 year old sub (same age as me) that doesnt keep great time, but i love it to bits.

Snap me too, love it and never let me down in 25 years of service (touch wood), paid £180 for it!

Love it that much I took it's portrait!

Gavin Joule
Mike

Post by Mike »

Had a bit of good luck on e-bay over Christmas, I think a combination of quiet because of the holiday and some terrible pictures, meant that this one, as new, boxed with all the bits and paperwork, was overlooked. Came in at the last minute and got it for much less then half the price they normally go for :shock: if and when they actually come up.

Very pleased, a good start to the year 8) Now, as to whether I would actually be seen dead wearing it..............

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

fantastic purchase. you must be chuffed to bits with that.
Steven
DDK addict

Post by Steven »

I've got a 1960s Omega Seamaster Automatic in stainless steel. They're a fraction on the cost of a new one and 'timeless' (excuse the pun), like a 356.

I also had a fake Rolex Submarine picked up for me in Hong Kong. I Compared it to my colleagues real one, very slight dome on the real watch's glass, apart from that neither of us could tell the difference. Put a 'Nato' strap on it, to tone down the bling, keeps good time looks quite nice.

Steven
Steven
DDK addict

Post by Steven »

Evil J Guano wrote:Snap me too, love it and never let me down in 25 years of service (touch wood), paid £180 for it!
Crikey, that's cheap, even for one that doesn't keep good time.
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

Mike wrote:Now, as to whether I would actually be seen dead driving it..............
Nice looking watch Mike. Good deal too. Still, you're probably right about the car. I can understand your reluctance driving something so garish. :wink:
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Mike

Post by Mike »

Happy New Year Paul! :lol:
cheers, Mike.

previously..
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
sladey

Post by sladey »

Mike - can I ask who you're getting to do your all-over red/navy/pale blue body tattoo stripes?

I only ask because that lady on the discovery channel seems to be quite good - you could import her first :lol:

perhaps someone on the forum with a good knowledge of photoshop might be able to Mock something up so Mike can decide whether he wants to go with the uniform stripes down the front or curved stripes to mis-match the ones over the shoulder?

:lol: :lol:
abash914
DDK slapper chatter

Post by abash914 »

Concours, Mike. Think of the impression created by thgat watch strap....
BTW didn't need jack on 't way home, but have used it a couple of times and it's a bit a awight. Thanks again!! AA
Member # 323

914-4 KGV 25K
944 S2 G900 TGS
BMW 318 Touring - K9 Transport
MG ZT-T 260 SE V8.

BASS - the final frontier...
sladey

Post by sladey »

I posted elsewhere about the jack but want to add it here too - it's excellent! Spent most of Christmas day jacking up the kids (we know how to have fun in our house)

It's a quality piece of kit - thanks for sorting it out

Cheers

Mark
Mike

Post by Mike »

Andrew and Mark, glad you liked them! Watches, Jacks...... boys and their toys, what are we like............ :roll:
cheers, Mike.

previously..
3.2 Carrera Sport x2