Fuel Tank Sealer

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

nickphillips
DDK above all

Fuel Tank Sealer

Post by nickphillips »

Hi
Anybody used any fuel tank sealer products, i have an early petrol tank that has some rust inside, i will sand blast it and then try this sealer. Frost sell the POR range, anybody got any thoughts?.

cheers
nick
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Don't want to be negative, but...

I wouldn't sand blast it inside, you'll never remove all the left over grit and stuff. Wouldn't want want that going through my engine, even with fuel filters.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Check out this old thread from the 912 Register on PCGB :

http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/tm.as ... ank&#22667
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
69Olive
DDK above all

Post by 69Olive »

I think sand blasting the inside of your tank will cause more problems than it solves.

My tank is out at the moment. It had some surface rust so I removed the underseal to reveal a few more spots of minor surface rust. I hade the tank sand blasted (externally) and powder coated. It looks brand-new but the sand blasting has caused 3 very tiny holes on one of the old rust patches.

The POR-15 kit contains an excellent product called Metal Ready. This neutralises the rust. I have dropped rusty parts in a jar of this and they come out looking new. I think this is all you need for your internal tank rust.

My only other comment about the POR-15 kit is that the portions of each product you need is a bit stingy. I negotiated a group deal on a revised kit a while back (see http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/tm.as ... 2D15&#7057). I'm sure if you call Frost they will do you the same deal.
1969 911T - E Engine
2000 Boxster S
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

I used the Frost POR-15 kit, very pleased with the results
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
nickphillips
DDK above all

Sealer

Post by nickphillips »

Cheers for the info, i cannot see the info on the PCGB site, access denied?.
nick
912uk

Post by 912uk »

yep I too used the Por 15 tank repair kit i did a big spill on the product agea and ages ago on the PCGB site.

There are some negative pionts raised about the product. In light of this i can only piont one thing out

DO AS IT SAYS ON THE TIN......

then it works fine...

Take a short cut then your in the sh1t

To let you know I took 3 weeks to do mine I was not in a rush and I wanted to make sure it was dry 100% inside the tank at each stage. Do it all in a weekend and your asking for trouble.

As for sand blasting EKK!!!!!! would you sand blast out your engine toget the oil off....

You want a high pressure water jet ,this is for the big boys so don't even bother with a garden patio jet wash we need really presssure like 6000 psi.

You need to find a local drain cleaner guy and pay him £10 to jet the inside out and watch the rust pour out ...... then you have a clean tank to start the Por 15 treatment ....

Mark
69Olive
DDK above all

Post by 69Olive »

Mark

I agree with you entirely on the fact that if you use POR-15 products properly, and exactly follow their instructions to the letter, you'll get a decent result.

I disagree with you on the need to jet wash the inside of your tank. Firstly the POR-15 instructions don't tell you to do this ( :wink: ) and secondly I would think that any sort of abrasive action on rust inside the tank will weaken it and maybe open up small holes.

The Metal Ready alone should do the trick.

Nick - talk to Roger Cooper at Frost (01706 658 619). Mention the deal he did for us on PCGB where we got more Marine Clean and Metal ready and no fuel preservative.
1969 911T - E Engine
2000 Boxster S
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Hmm I agree with the it may weeken it but if it is that week in the first place should be looking for a new tank!!

and if there was any small holes that did open up then the POR 15 will seal it up.

The jet washing I have said before removes so much surface rust from in side the tank and petrol gum that when you look in it is a nice shinny tank inside. Then follow the POR 15 instructions.

So looks like we differ on this one. As I have recommended this to other people and they did the jetting out and found the same results as I did.

Afterall do you really want the POR 15 sealant to stick to freshly uncovered metal or rusty petrol gum... answers on a post card to ..... :wink:
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

i have to say im with mark on this i jetted my tank and got enough rust to fill 2 bags of sugar but i did have holes there then but got them tinned

as the holes are there its better to find them once the tank is empty :wink:
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS