Child Seats & Quikfit

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Sean
DDK above all

Child Seats & Quikfit

Post by Sean »

Hi All, just though i'd post where credit is due.

One of the key factors in my ability to own a 911 was to be able to put my 15 mth son in the back seat of the car for lads weekends away. I have posted on this forum and others to hear other peoples experiences...and to be honest it was a mixed bag of replies.

I finally managed to get my car into quikfit in Stanmore, Middlesex yesterday and I got a child seat fiited in the rear passenger side seat. I was GOBSMACKED......it was one of the most secure fittings of a child seat that I have every seen...never mind in a 911. The company have developed their own special belt which securely fits a Mamas & Papas branded seat....and not only did they do a great job...but they pulled out all the stops yesterday afternoon to get a normal 4 hour job ...down to 90 mins so I could catch the ferry home that night (i also got new rear 3 - point belts put in the back and new belts in the front).

Credit where credits due....I didn't even ask them for my 10% discount.

I hope to take pics of it soon....but if anyone has the little ones in their Porsches...this place is a must.

Sean

ps Similar post on PCGB
1971 911 2.2S (Sold)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

:D :D

That's two members I've herad of who have used them recently and been impressed. There details are in the members discount section of the forum :wink:
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I've heard good stuff about them too.

As a side note, I needed a child seat for my 18month old girl to fit in the back of my S.

I ended up fitting a rear seat belt mech from a 993. I used the existing threaded mounting points on the tunnel & the opposite side, then using a 90degree drill attachment, drilled a mounting hole thru the parcel shelf & mounted the reel using spreader plates.

This resulted in a very nice / stock looking set up.

The seat I was recommended (after lots of research) was a Brittax freeway (I think, will have to nip down to the garage & check)

If anyone wants photos I can post them up.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

I'll be getting Quikfit to sort out my seatbelts in a few weeks.

Only one problem, how do you drive a car with no seatbelts fitted to the seat belt fitters :roll:
Porscheless but still aircooled
pb911
DDK slapper chatter

quickfit

Post by pb911 »

i can only echo sean....used them a year ago for two small kids , 3 & 6 and they suggested harnesses in my targa....did a lovely job....tad pricey
but thats safety for you....i will be back when i get another car......i think one may be on the way from US...will keep you posted (scuse the pun)

as a note sean , what seat did they fir in yours as i have a 1 3 and 6yr old and need to take them all sometimes!!!
silver911
Married to the DDK

Post by silver911 »

Make mine a triple recommendation.

All three of our seats have come from there, they are great people who know their stuff.
Sean
DDK above all

Re: quickfit

Post by Sean »

pb911 wrote: as a note sean , what seat did they fir in yours as i have a 1 3 and 6yr old and need to take them all sometimes!!!
The seat is a Mamas & Papas child seat called Sicuro. The info with the seat say its good from 1 - 6 years...although Quikfit said its good to about 4 years as the harness is a bit small for bigger kids. My lad is 15mths so i've a while to go before I worry about the bigger scenario.
1971 911 2.2S (Sold)
MdR

Post by MdR »

I'm glad to hear of these recommendations as I want to junk the 4 point Willans harnesses in my '66 S & get some 3 point inertia belts fitted. Problem I have is when Gantspeed sorted all the corrosion the rear factory mounts (for the shoulder strap) were not replaced. Does anyone know if I can use the B pillar (with suitable strengthening) as per later cars?
Martin
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
james33
DDK Fanatic

Belt up

Post by james33 »

Yep make that a quadruple recommendation, I had new front and back belts and they are a pleasure to wear. Unfortunately I didn't know about the rear child belt at the time :cry:
'71T
'73 2.4S (sold)
'60 AH 3000 MK 1
Defender 110 '98
g3ngs
DDK slapper chatter

good info

Post by g3ngs »

Handy stuff

Will be down my local kwikfit in 9 weeks time then
Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Re: good info

Post by Miggs »

g3ngs wrote:Handy stuff

Will be down my local kwikfit in 9 weeks time then
well make sure you join up as a paid member then you will get 10% off 8)
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
FraserMurray

Post by FraserMurray »

yeah and make sure you don't go to the tyre and exhaust centre!

F
Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com
james33
DDK Fanatic

belt up

Post by james33 »

and make sure you arrive early and give them enough time to do the job. I only just made it and Sean had to go down on his knees and beg.

(It wasn't his fault he was late, fate was throwing curve balls, the Poor pilot died 10minutes before his flight left Dublin for London, so he jumped the next flight to London but went to Heathrow instead of Gatwick. I then turned round from Gatwick and picked him up at Heathrow, then we got stuck on the M25 for nearly an hour because of an accident on the M25 contraflow south bound..., Then was a good bit having tea with Jim Avis and checking out the car, then the journey back in the traffic...) still I'm sure some one has a story to top this one! :)
'71T
'73 2.4S (sold)
'60 AH 3000 MK 1
Defender 110 '98
Sean
DDK above all

Post by Sean »

And then to top everything off the Ferry company went on strike and my 3am ferry back home was 50/50 and i wouldn't know until I hit holyhead.

Man, I was very relieved when i got home to Dublin....I was sure the Karma police were saying....you're not meant to be collecting your porsche today!!
1971 911 2.2S (Sold)
vaughan
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by vaughan »

hey Sean

the best things in life are never easy ! mores the pity .

I was talking to Gallo last night and he can't make Saturday
but we'll organise it real soon , I think he's more excited about seeing the S than you are to see the Aston.

But the weather looks good for tomorrow ( no wind )
maybe we'll go for a spin and see if the Gardai have figured how to
work those new laser guns .......

vaughan