All the coolest Porsches are mid engine and air-cooled!

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: All the coolest Porsches are mid engine and air-cooled!

Post by rhd racer »

I would imagine the rear lid is tension related, and undoing the springs would prove everything is straight and true. I doubt very much that spacing is required, or a good idea as will throw the gaps off.

The gearshift rod should slide back through the rear bulkhead bush - it will need carefully guiding through if it has popped inside, as you need to slide the widest bit back through what should be a tight bush. Worst case you could pull the bush out and replace at the same time, then the rod will fly out!
Last edited by rhd racer on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

rhd racer wrote:I would imagine the rear lid is tension related, and undoing the springs would prove everything is straight and true. I doubt very much that spacing is required, or a good idea as will through the gaps off.

The gearshift rod should slide back through the rear bulkhead bush - it will need carefully guiding through if it has popped inside, as you need to slide the widest bit back through what should be a tight bush. Worst case you could pull the bush out and replace at the same time, then the rod will fly out!
That’s what they did to mine at Greatworth Neil.
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Found this video. It appears you can separate the shift coupling

https://youtu.be/C0I5HOBvQbg

And the part

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/parts-po ... 3588-15805

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
womble912
DDK addict

Post by womble912 »

lovely car mate.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Just about to get my speedo back. £100+p&p and clear communication from jdo

I will send them my 356 rpm to sort out once the 914 is on the road

http://www.jdo1.com/

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Speedo back and working as it should

New part of the shift linkage from Rose PassionImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thanks to Paul at Greatworth the car is shifting. After pushing it back I drove it there in 3rd.

I didn't feel like such a fool as he had to file the inside of the coupler to receive the front rod. This was the part that Mrs B and I couldn't do.

Handbrake was a quick fix. Something had been installed the wrong way. Roof tighten up but window needs to sit a bit higher.

The boot not sitting right are the brackets. Which have been rewelded in the wrong place. This is a fix for another day.

The good

Body straight and no clear big issues

Ran to a coffee shop for 90 mins each way

Rebuilt Speedo worked well

Handles super nicely. Glued to the road. Angus pointed out it had tiny tyres. I tested its grip on a corner. Expecting to lose the backend but no. Guess that is the difference between a mid engine v rear engine car

The bad

Missing some of the heat exchangers on the driver side

Oil leak from rocker covers or push rod tubes

Makes a strange sound when the clutch is pressed in. Paul said that normally the release bearing makes a noise when the clutch is engaged so wasn't certain want this is.

Got massive amounts of smoke twice when driving it. Looked like it was coming from the front right.

Running like a tired dog. Will happily cruise but no pick up or acceleration.

Sometimes when indicating the sign changes from a single indicator to both flashing? Dirt or another problem in the indicator unit.

Most admit I'm finding the unknowns quite stressful. Woke up in the middle of the night worrying about the clutch issue. Strange attitude for someone that trades risk for a living. I think my attitude will change after a tune up.

I guess not many on here have read Reminiscences of a Stock Operator?

One of the characters says his large position is keeping him up at night. Jesse says the solution is simple. Sell to the sleeping point.

https://www.valuethemarkets.com/2019/11 ... 1c83d4.jpg[/img]

rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Don’t worry Neil, that doesn’t sound like a bad list at all. Remember, this is mid-engined, so the gearbox can be out on the floor in 30 mins without touching the engine (am not exaggerating). Once up in the air, with the rear of the engine supported by an axle stand, it is simply a case of removing the rear box, disconnecting the driveshafts, starter motor, earth strap, reverse switch connector, clutch cable and linkage - then the 4 bolts to the engine case and it is on the floor. This leaves excellent access to the clutch (which is cheap) and very easy to swap if needed. There are lots of guides for you to DIY it with pics to accompany the above, but also not expensive labour wise if you farm out.
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Sounds like you've made some good progress and have a list you can take your time to fix one item at a time.

As Warren Buffett said "You can't produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant". The exception that proves this rule is 911hillclimber's Honda resto
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Drove for 55mn *2 to visit my Mum pre lockdown. The car loves cruising on the motorway. Found a few more things

The car has a light in the engine bay

The idle isn't responsive to the bypass screw. Kevin mentioned that sometimes they have dirt and need cleaning

There is certainly a leak somewhere I can hear hissing

The cabin light isny coming on when I open the door

Need to replace some bulbs on the left most gauge.

The problem when I indicate and both indicators flash on the gauge is the gauge only. Only one indicator is flashing. Strangely the first flash is single then all other flashes are double

anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

Neil- we’re both learning these cars. I felt that there was a lack of power with Tango 914 until Angus pointed out that I am used to a very torquey 3.2 911 and that in 2.0 914 I have to keep the revs up to get the power.
I was doing that on the return trip Saturday and yesterday to Stowe and back. Way better!!
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Did a compression test. All values close enough. I will take these valves as rough because I didn't get the tool completely screwed in.

1:101
2:105
3:106
4:106

However, plug no 2 is much richer. Pictures in 1 to 4 order. Not sure in an d injection what is the cause but I suspect an air leak to no 2? Before the injector?

PS getting plugs in and out the only thing easier than a 616 engine so far

ImageImageImageImage

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Years ago there was an episode on the Mike Brewer/Ed China car show of a 914 they bought that ran dog rough.
Ed China went through all the injection stuff and it ran sweet as can be after.
May be worth a google/watch?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

911hillclimber wrote:Years ago there was an episode on the Mike Brewer/Ed China car show of a 914 they bought that ran dog rough.
Ed China went through all the injection stuff and it ran sweet as can be after.
May be worth a google/watch?
Thank you Graham

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Watched it. Mostly about over heating