911 2.2E restoration

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

John

We took things nice and carefully and called it a day when we had everything completed below the engine. Just the top of the engine stuff remains to do so not fired her up yet. I noticed the shifter coupling bushes are 50% missing :shock: so will need to do that as well. No wonder the shift was sloppy!

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

If the original colour was Light Ivory then it would have to go back to that if it was mine. Lovely colour.

Ian.
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

IanMcLeod wrote:If the original colour was Light Ivory then it would have to go back to that if it was mine. Lovely colour.

Ian.
Hi Ian
It is going back to it's original colour, ivory White is a great colour and compliments the shape of the simple early cars IMO.

:bom:
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Not only that but it was chosen because that paint colour weighed less ... :wink:
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

This EMail arrived today from Porsche.

HI Jonathan As discussed there is not a huge amount of information available for the above VIN. As such please find the information I did find:
VIN - 911020XXXX
Engine number - 620XXXX
Legal Specification - Switzerland - C10Left hand drive
Manufactured - 1st June 1970
Exterior Colour - Light Ivory
Interior - Black Leatherette
Options: Stabiliser Front 20mm, Rear 18mm,
Antenna left - speakers in the door.
Hope that helps
Nathan LucasPorsche Customer Assistance

So there we go matching numbers, and light ivory 8) not sure about the anti roll bars or the door speakers, could that be a mistake?

kind regards
Last edited by johnM on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I would say that's a mistake - they said exactly the same about my '73 E & there have never been any speakers in the doors & I'm not aware that a 20mm front arb was available back then.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Work on the shell has stopped for the last 2 weeks as I was offshore but now I am back I can get back on track.

I started today by stripping the engine compartment. Nothing too bad in this area. The parcel shelf is very poor so will need quite a bit of work.

I then moved on to the front nearside inner wing. The bottom of the A pillar is bad, it has 2 previous repairs to it, it also has small holes in it all the way up to the fuel filler.

The bottom of the front windscreen corners have also been repaired in the past. All this will come out and be properly repaired.

Barry’s going to be a busy boy :?
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Barry seems to be in everyone's body rebuild project!
Is there more than one Barry I ask!

Those repairs don't look too bad but must be quite old. 20 years ago it was hard to find any repair panels so you had to make your own like the repair man did on your car I think.

20 years ago my A posts looked worse than yours do.
Please give us good pics and details. It's good to see how others tackle the same issues.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Nice one John, you're not hanging around.... :lol:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Barry

Post by Barry »

911hillclimber wrote:Is there more than one Barry I ask!
Oh, I think most people would say that one is plenty enough :lol: .

As for these previous repairs, like you say it's all got to be put into the context of the day. The panel's weren't as available then, and more to the point, the cars were in a completely different price range as well.

Also, you really need to know the brief at the time: was it a 'money no object repair', where actually the repairer could have done better, or much more likely, it was all probably a pragmatic choice in order to do a reasonable repair balanced against time and money.

Still, all good stuff because they've helped keep the car on the road for all of these years. No doubt when we get going on the metal, we'll strive to keep as much original metal there within reason for (well in the) future repairers. I'd like to think that they'd assess our work kindly :) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Barry; thought of you yesterday when I was looking through the Frost catalogue.
There is a series of metal bashers CD's from Mr Ron Covell no less, and one on the English Wheel even.

They do not do a basic guide for me....

I'm surprised nobody like Dansk etc have made an A pillar/corner repair section. It is a tricky part to make and give a good point for the inevitable floor edge repair required too.

Mine took ages to make way back iirc.

Maybe when you get to thoseareas you can detail as you normally do how you fabricate the curves/bowl and floor lip (easily)
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Somehow missed this first time round. Good stuff John 8)

I am in the light ivory / keep it original camp too.

It's going to be a belter 8)
'72 2.4S Targa
Barry

Post by Barry »

911hillclimber wrote:Barry; thought of you yesterday when I was looking through the Frost catalogue.
There is a series of metal bashers CD's from Mr Ron Covell no less, and one on the English Wheel even.

They do not do a basic guide for me....

I'm surprised nobody like Dansk etc have made an A pillar/corner repair section. It is a tricky part to make and give a good point for the inevitable floor edge repair required too.

Mine took ages to make way back iirc.

Maybe when you get to thoseareas you can detail as you normally do how you fabricate the curves/bowl and floor lip (easily)
:shock: :shock:

Now that is weird: I am literally waiting for my current Frost's order to turn up (should be within the next hour), complete with, wait for it, two Covell DVD's :lol: . One is hammerforming, and the other is using the English Wheel.

As for the sections, that bottom rear corner of the front inner wing needs to be made on 90% of the car's that I see. I know Bray's do / did them, and they were very good, but looked rather thin to me. I'm sure Alan sent some up for me to try once, but in the end we went for my home-grown (18SWG) versions. In fairness, if they still do them, they may have changed the spec on them, and the method that was used to form them was quite clever 8) .

Funnily enough, I made one late last week for the current car (RHD 2.4S): I've tried various methods, but have got stuck at doing them out of two pieces TIG'ed together with one weld (Bray's are one, with one weld). I've got two six ton flypresses coming later in the week, and I'm hoping I might be able to refine the method a bit more.

Out of interest, the current fabrication problem (which I think is applicable to one of John's) is to make the bonnet strut mounts. I've done some in the past, but I suspect in a real round-the-houses way. I think I've come up with a refinement or two, and these should be ready by time John's car arrives.

The other thing I'm hoping I can do with the flypress is to refine the making of the large area of John's parcelshelf. I certainly won't be able to press them out, but might be able to (again) refine the making of some sub-areas.

So much to do ....

Sorry John, it's Graham's fault, he got me talking about panels .... :roll:

Oh yes, to return to the point, if John is happy, I'll put some basic pointers* as to how these things are made on this thread when appropriate.

*Whilst protecting some of the tricks that I might have developed over the years, although even then I'd be happy to fill in these gaps on a one-to-one basis via P.M. for home enthusiasts. I hope this sounds fair?
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Sounds good to me.
I did mine 22 years ago and they still seem ok, but soon i will have to take the 911 down to bare metal and i know there will be more to do.
Took ages to make them and certainly not 2 pieces, but 18 swg and gas welded through and through. (old skool :) )

I love seeing the bodywork stuff (I'm sure many others do too).

I would keep every trick up the sleeve!
I hope the owner will agree to lots of progress pics. :drunken:

Graham.