RS rep to RSR rep

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

just to finish...i'd be very happy to organise / take part in a DDK bespoke day with someone like Mark Hales or Don Palmer

or I know a few tame racing drivers and we could organise our own track day / tuition session.

for my part have done loads of track days and got a basic race licence but I know I am NOWHERE near as good as I could be on track !!

so totally agree the best way to go faster (and more safely) is usually
1. driver tuition, 2. better brakes, 3. lightness. 4. more power!

cheers Dan
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
visualfx
I luv DDK!

Post by visualfx »

Hi guys,

My company are sponsoring a driver in the carrera cup again this year and may be able to chip in something.

Just let me know when and I'll see what I can do

No promises

Cheers

Garry
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

BIG FUCHS

Post by mrg3.6 »

rvzz wrote:My car is on 11's and 9's and was until recently running ancient Yoko's . Invested last week in a full set of Michelin TB's and had the geometry set up .
An identical 9" / 11" set-up on my wide-body 72t provides enormous amount of lateral grip and more fun than you can poke a stick at - certainly whenever Bob Watson has driven my car he always harps on about it's lightness and how well it handles (I guess he should know) albeit he might just be flattering me in preparation to issuing a large bill :cry:

Anyway although the 72t certainly doesn't drive like a 'steam roller' (unlike my 3.6SC) my only frustration during the 3000 mile Eurotour to CLM last year was the power limits of (a very sweet) 220 hp 2.7RS spec (twin plug) engine which really needs another 80 hp to overcome the huge mechanical grip of the TB15's off the line - this short-coming was particularly noticeable on the uphill sections of Alpine switchbacks where with all that rubber the car would naturally want to bog-down off the line.

This irritation could of course be overcome by revving the '???? out of the ????' to make those MFI and the S cams actually earn their living or I could learn to drive her properly :)

Now with that 300hp RSR spec engine in my car, I would suggest that this minor problem would disappear and Nirvana would be close at hand :evil:

So Dan, I would humbly suggest that you start saving for those big Fuchs and a matching set of TB15 - you won't have 'peace of mind' until you do :wink:

Martin
Last edited by mrg3.6 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Hi

Lovely car and very interesting thread. Out of curiosity, what tyres would people suggest for a 2.7 RS rep on 7 + 8 x 15s? Mainly road use with the odd track day thrown in.

Regards
rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rvzz »

I think Martin makes a good point about HP versus wheel/tyre size . There has to be a point at which a wider wheel becomes asset rather than a hindrance , so, at what level of power does that occur ? ( taken as read that a car is properly set up in all other respects ).
My own car has roughly 260 hp from a slightly modded 3.2 ( so says previous owner and it feels about right ) It never feels 'over tyred ' . My only other 911 experience is from my previous 190 hp SC and i can imagine that 11's and 9's with that sort of power would be a real pain .

I used to be involved in the hot rod scene and was about when the 'pro-street' look first became popular. This 'look' involved standard bodywork , i.e. no flares on the rear , very skinny front wheel/tyre with the widest possible rims on narrowed rear axles . Lots of cars where built using fairly asmatic V8's which, although sounded the part, could make no use of the massive wheels/tyres used . Almost without exception these cars drove like absolute dogs .
It was only when you got to into big hp numbers (500+) did this set up make any sense . At the time I was running a fibreglass Willys hot rod with a full round tube chassis , big block Ford motor (built by a chap called Fred Whittle, ex Chevron ) with over 600 hp . The rear wheel size on this car was 15" x 15" running Mickey Thompson semi-slicks . It worked very well .
I know the drag racing reference has no relevance to 911's , just trying to make the point about wheel /tyre size versus HP, ie. to much of one and not enough of the other is just as bad as the other way round.
So sorry for the major thread hijack
:oops:
Cheers...
Russ...

'73E 3.0

Clean living under difficult circumstances
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

rvzz wrote: My own car has roughly 260 hp from a slightly modded 3.2 ( so says previous owner and it feels about right ) It never feels 'over tyred ' . My only other 911 experience is from my previous 190 hp SC and i can imagine that 11's and 9's with that sort of power would be a real pain.
I would suggest with 260 hp and the additional torque that a 3.2 brings to the party you certainly won't be suffering too much with bigger wheels/tyres :wink:

I certainly wouldn't want less than the 220 hp, Mr Watson claims my little 2.7 MFI engine kicks out, but I do know that even with 9"/11" rims the 72 is a whole lot more fun to drive than my 'torque laden' 317 hp SC on regular 7"/8" Fuchs.

Martin
Last edited by mrg3.6 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

A 'standard' 73 2.8 would give about 280hp, whereas the 'werks' team cars gave 308hp.
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Samu
DDK Newbie

Post by Samu »

Very nice RSR and engine with real 2.8 RSR parts, kind of daydream. Are the front arches real deal or something else?

mrg3.6 and rvzz: What size of TB15 you are running on 9/11"? Is 23/62-15 too narrow for 11" or do you have 29/61-15 on rear? I have set of Fuchs with very old tyres. These are not real deal - I think DP modified Fuchs. I need new set of street tyres someday when my wide body is running again.
911 -87 Marine blue, 911t -73 project
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Samu wrote:Very nice RSR and engine with real 2.8 RSR parts, kind of daydream. Are the front arches real deal or something else?

mrg3.6 and rvzz: What size of TB15 you are running on 9/11"? Is 23/62-15 too narrow for 11" or do you have 29/61-15 on rear? I have set of Fuchs with very old tyres. These are not real deal - I think DP modified Fuchs. I need new set of street tyres someday when my wide body is running again.
9" - 215/55/15 (18/60-15)
11" - 270/45/15 (23/62-15)

Both these tyres came off an earlier set of 8" / 10" Fuchs and fill the rims up nicely, however the 11" will also accomodate a 295/40/15 (26/61-15) TB15 section.

Martin
rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rvzz »

I'm running 215/5515 and 295/40/15 ...
Russ...

'73E 3.0

Clean living under difficult circumstances
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

yoda wrote:Hi

Lovely car and very interesting thread. Out of curiosity, what tyres would people suggest for a 2.7 RS rep on 7 + 8 x 15s? Mainly road use with the odd track day thrown in.

Regards
You would have to search hard for anything better than Avon cr6zz in the original sizes in my opinion.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

Samu wrote:Very nice RSR and engine with real 2.8 RSR parts, kind of daydream. Are the front arches real deal or something else?
Hi Samu,
Arches are steel,was told they were copied from the "Samson" rsr,but as I mentioned earlier,I'm not completely happy with the finished profile :evil:
Regards,
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

brembo wrote: Arches are steel,was told they were copied from the "Samson" rsr,but I'm not completely happy with the finished profile
Interesting comment about the Samson RSR, I also have a set of steel RSR flairs that were modelled on the same car - they originated from the depths of Sussex many years back.

I wonder if they're from the same source and would be interested in knowing more about your problems with the profile?

Thx
Martin
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

mrg3.6 wrote:
brembo wrote: Arches are steel,was told they were copied from the "Samson" rsr,but I'm not completely happy with the finished profile
Interesting comment about the Samson RSR, I also have a set of steel RSR flairs that were modelled on the same car - they originated from the depths of Sussex many years back.

I wonder if they're from the same source and would be interested in knowing more about your problems with the profile?

Thx
Martin
Image Image

Martin,the photo's show the variation in the profiles,that being said,there also seems to be a slight differences between most of the original rsr's anyway.
And yes,I think my arches came from the same place as the ones you have.
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I prefer the set on your car! :)