makers?

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Helen
Events Organiser

makers?

Post by Helen »

who makes 356 replicas, what engines do they use, and how much are they.?
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
porker914
DDK forever

Post by porker914 »

try Martin & Walker in Thruxton right on the circuit site speak to Barry the owner he builds very good quality 356 and more porsche kits and as for engines well thats up to you but anything from standard beetle engine through to type 4 or a 356 engine itself!
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I'll let everybody fill in the gaps but.......

The only 356 Replicas you can get in this country are Speedster Replicas.

The most popular ones are www.chesil.com
Martin and Walker still do a few (mine's one of those).
There are a few other's including www.speedsterclinic.co.uk who have their own moulds.
Pilgrim have taken the old L & B moulds (who used to be based in Germany)and have a long heritage in the replica sector and are producing what looks like a great product.

There are also 550 Spyder and RSK reps around including GP (discount for DDK members) and again Martin and Walker.

You will see a whole host of other Speedster kits including Apal (no longer in production) and stacks from the States including Vintage Speedsters,
Platinum Speedsters, Intermeccanica Int, Special Edition, Inc - (Beck Speedster) Chamonix and PGO Automobiles (French)

Usually based on VW chasis and mechanics although again many variations. Some use there own sub frames and then use VW suspension etc.

Coupe replicas have appeared many of which are Speedster bodies with a hard top so they don't really count.

Ovet to the rest of you know - I need some sleep :shock: :wink:
Last edited by Bootsy on Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

porker914 wrote:through to type 4
I run a 2 litre type 4 in mine :wink:

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

why are there 2 fans on your engine Bootsy? (large 911 type fan and small black plastic one) Is it to keep you super cool 8) 8) 8)
Porscheless but still aircooled
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Luke Hudson wrote:why are there 2 fans on your engine Bootsy? (large 911 type fan and small black plastic one) Is it to keep you super cool 8) 8) 8)
The Riechert Fan kit does not cover the Oil Cooler (you should be able to see it) so there is a rad fan on it to aid cooling although this is only part of it as it is then drilled for a 72 plate cooler that sits up on the bulk head.

The rad fan ensures that it keeps its cool in traffic. :wink:

shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

My cars a Chesil with a VW type 1 engine.

Ready built from the factory they're £18-£25 depending upon spec.

I built mine as a kit last year though most Chesils are now factory built

louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

I have an Apal.....boo hooo I will have to get a picture to show it off!

1600 Twin Kadrons 'factory' built by a company called TPC in the 80's now long gone!
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)
gpdude
DDK Newbie

Post by gpdude »

Bootsy wrote: Pilgrim have taken the old L & B moulds (who used to be based in Germany)and have a long heritage in the replica sector and are producing what looks like a great product.
No no no you're wrong here! :) L&B is not German!
About 5 years ago Chesil was on their own so I decided to add a Speedster to our GP Spyder range. I turned for help to a Belgian friend Willy, director of L&B Cars.
We produced an entirely new car and mould in about 12 months time but when it was finally ready for production, I didn't have time to produce them. So I sold my part of the business to my pal Willy who started selling them as L&B Speedsters.
L&B was (and still is) the European agent for the Pilgrim Cobra and in return a deal was struck with Pilgrim to produce their own version of the car in the UK under the Pilgrim brand. They now produce the standard Speedster and have recently added a (hideous) longer version with 4 full seats on an unshortened beetle chassis.... :? :)
Beep.
We do apologize for being difficult to contact at the moment. We are currently redesigning our project which takes all of our time and dedication. We do help out where we can though. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience.
Beep.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I meant Belgium :oops:

Agree about the four seater - just wrong :x

louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

any pics of this four seater? sounds horrid! :shock:
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

louis356 wrote:any pics of this four seater? sounds horrid! :shock:
Got some in a mag but can't find any on the net - I can't see many of them being built. The extra length is in the rear quarters and it just looks wrong (IMHO)

912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

yes that one the it had was an Apal as well , well made with a 912 Engine in it.
martinpcraven
DDK Fanatic

356 Replicas

Post by martinpcraven »

Hi Bootsy - Have to correct you I'm afraid - Classic Roadsters are just launching a T6 verison of the 356!!!

It is a stunning car based on the last 356 Porsche built (cica 360 ever built) and just before they launched the 911 series.

The T5 was the first real step forward in the Speedster lineage, with most of the improvements being “under the skin”, although some small styling changes were apparent. By the time the T6 was penned, customers were becoming far more discerning, and although the Convertible D went some way towards appeasing those drivers who demanded draught and leakproof windows and hoods and increased creature comforts, the car still lacked the refinement of some of it’s immediate competition. Eventually sales fell to dramatically low levels, forcing a rethink of the “Speedster” ethos, to the point that eventually after a very short production run, even the Roadster had to go.

Although a variety of coachworks had been used for the open models – Drauz, Reutter and Karmann - the T6 was built exclusively at the D’Ieteren works in Brussels.

Classic Roadsters is a new company and have a mandate ti imoprt into the UK, France and Germany. The company os currently being formed and established and the car will be avaiable later this year in turnkey format!! No oily or broken fingernails!!!

If Helen can hold on, she wont be disappointed!!!

Martin Craven
Principal - Classic Roadsters Limited
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: 356 Replicas

Post by Bootsy »

martinpcraven wrote:Hi Bootsy - Have to correct you I'm afraid - Classic Roadsters are just launching a T6 verison of the 356!!!
You'd be welcome to correct me however my post was written nearly a year ago and was based on information at that time :P

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your T6 - from what I've seen it looks good even though I'm still a no windows, roof down kind of driver! :wink: