Flares....

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Flares....

Post by Darren65 »

Next the compromise - all projects have them!

The welded on brackets that hold the short arms on my car have been set slightly higher than normal.....this was introduced as standard on the subsequent 930 Turbo as it helps the car better deal with rear squat under hard acceleration and indeed racing teams modified the brackets later on to make them adjustable for their needs....

....the rear arms with torsion bars and coil overs is notoriously difficult to set up so I'm told and, taking into account my slight mod, I was recommended to use 935 type adjustable spring plates. There's a few option of these on the market and I went with Rebel Racing Products.....

....not the prettiest modification and visually not quite period correct although I'll console myself with the fact that it's an upgrade that would have certainly happened in the day.

Whilst performance driven and a definite benefit I'll need to get comfortable with this one visually.
Martin P
DDK Fanatic

Post by Martin P »

Hi Darren,
The only thing I would worry about those is that the coils are really close to the damper, especially on the rear. If you look at the red coils above they are a slightly wider diameter which gives clearance from the body of the damper.
I had ones like yours on a car previously and they rubbed badly over bumps ,especially sleeping policemen, and the squeaking sound took me back to my student bedsit days of overhearing a couple shagging on a cheap mattress through the paper thin walls of the room next door. 😂
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Far more satisfying is my latest purchase 8)

Up until a few weeks ago I hadn't given any thought to the cars plumbing.....if you ever do study reference pics of old Porsche racing cars, something I do often, you'll notice that not much is original. All racing cars have lived a life and that includes the majority of all 3.0 RS and RSR's. Amongst the multitude of upgrades, modifications and obvious re-shells there are small details that reappear that give a glimpse of what the car once was. Fortunately there are also a few cars that have also been left largely original.

A friend recently suggested I contact Brad Davis to help with oil hoses and fittings. Brad is a font of all knowledge in this respect and greatly helped my understanding of exactly how the 3.0 oil hoses looked and what I needed. He had me closely looking at reference photos and the best I have is of the largely original ex-Hesketh RS #9099 from when it was refreshed many years ago....

....the hoses and fittings Brad is supplying for this project are superb and whilst the colour of the fittings is what most will notice, it's also the type of nut and material used that match them exactly to originals. He's even supplying a few original 1970's 'chunky' nuts in case I prefer them to his parts. Simply beautiful fabrication and attention to detail. Thank you Brad 8) ....

I can't wait for these to arrive......whilst you may be able to knock me for some of my suspension choices, my hose and nuts will be second to none!

Cheers,
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Indeed, some very nice nuts you have there Darren!
The force is strong in this one ......
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Sounds like Brad Davis is the way to go for hoses then Darren!

I need some orange tracer -16 hose for the front oil coolers and whilst I had been led to believe that Think Automotive could obtain some from a German supplier, they’ve gone strangely quiet on me since late last year so Brad it will be…

The latter photos show incorrect plain hose on the Toad Hall Racing S-R 0538 but do show the somewhat convoluted routing of them to the left and right coolers. At least I have some nice nuts too Image - courtesy of Andy Prill…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Darren65 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:48 pm
....as I've always said with these projects you learn on the job and I came to realise that not all short rear trailing arms are the same.

The arms I had purchased, as with all short trailing currently available as far as I am aware, are those designed to work with coil overs as per the RSR. The arms used on the standard RS, being my original intention, have the dampers attached in a different manner....
By my logic, being further from the fulcrum adjusts them to dampen some multiple harder than before, and over a shorter range of wheel travel. And that would seem to make sense for a race car.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

I’d guess the main upside (RSR) is the double shear mounts. A lot stronger than a one sided mount, especially since it holds the full weight & not just the damping forces.