Towing with DSG VW auto?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Towing with DSG VW auto?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yes, use all those ways to squeeze a bit more MPG, but we only tow to hillclimbs 9 times a year and going from the 2 litre diesel (170) to a 265 bhp petrol will be FAR more of a shock....
Not obliged to buy it yet until after a test drive next week, and not even then.
All these factors are a compromise.

I really do not like changing cars.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Why are you changing again?

There must be years of good use from your present car?

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Have you considered a Skoda SUV? Space to value ratio pretty good compared to their Group relatives of Q3, Q5, Tiguan and Macan. Obviously more 4x4 availability and plenty of choice
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Just watch the over run on the DSG box, when you let your foot off the accelerator, there is no retardation, like you have with a manual gearbox. Mine has a tendency to just display ‘D’ and freewheel going down a hill. Ideal for fuel consumption, but not if you are towing, as you will be braking all the time, as the weight will just keep increasing your speed. You will also find out, although very smooth, they have a tendency to change up, well before you would do in an automatic. Not overly impressed with the slow speed pull out of junctions either. Just something you get used to, and have time correctly, especially if the traffic is busy.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I drove a DSG Superb last week.
The initial take up is poor compared to the manual positive engagement.
I'll get used to it all, will have to adapt from diesel to petrol too.
A nice lazy diesel is relaxing.
Neil, the current car feels to have ages and miles left in it, but showing signs of nah and latest bills are getting bigger.
Wife is really driving all this, she is loosing trust in the car but it still keeps on going.

I will have a heavy heart when it goes, really like the car and its spec and it works, but diesel, smells etc all getting irritating in several ways.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

My last Passat with the same engine as yours was still going strong at 166k, the Audi 4wd that followed it at 130k, neither changed through need or concern it was about to break - just 4 year itch.

I think you will find driving (let alone towing!) with the petrol mind bogglingly expensive compared to the 2.0tdi - I shouldn’t bother. Factor in adding a tow bar etc at another £500 plus…Your Skoda is mint, I would stick with it Graham

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Ahead of you (and Neil).
Told the dealer I was pulling out yesterday morning.
He was not pleased.
What did it was actually the dealer!
As we were leaving the showroom he said how good our Superb was and would be retailing it off their forecourt, the interior was as new, the car zinged in the sun, and the real crunch is the folder I have (as with all my cars) with all the history, bills etc since I bought it new, so the cherry is a one owner, no expense spared, full service history lovely condition and everything actually works!
That accolade from them did it for me.
And the wife....
I'll keep it as long as I have the fabulous Lola.
It will be fighting a trailer that will finally mean the Lola will have go so making the Superb redundant.

I get sentimental with cars which is stupid but there it is.
Letting the Lola go will be a real heart breaker, but I hope some way off.

When that black day comes I hope a Honda type R will come my way, or an F type Jaguar V6.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Come on now ... if getting an F type , at least make it a V8 !!!
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.