Do You Need To Change Your Taxation Class?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Do You Need To Change Your Taxation Class?

Post by simon james »

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before, apologies if this is the case.

From another forum, it seems as though DVLA are ending their link with The Post Office this coming March, many may or not be aware but if your cars’ taxation class could be (but isn’t) “historic” this is normally done at a Post Office in conjunction with being taxed.
I’ve no doubt there will (should?) be some other way to do this but given track record of DVLA..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... r-66133191

People are suggesting to tax your project now, The Post Office system cannot check for Insurance, so take your V5 and “tax” the car for free, the DVLA will write to you in a few weeks to point out you have no insurance (not an offence as the car is not on a public highway), at that point you either SORN it or insure it.
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Do You Need To Change Your Taxation Class?

Post by KS »

Won't make any difference. If you're talking about changing your car to historic status then, although it could be done at the post office, it wasn't the post office's decision. The paperwork was still passed on to DVLA who had the sole power to say yes or no. Just like when you import a car - the DVLA can either let it pass straight through the system as a historic or tell you it needs to be examined. Filling in a form at the post office has never automatically meant it will be accepted on your say so.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel