A car with an interesting past!

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Re: A car with an interesting past!

Post by 914 KEV »

It was well known that there were two 914/6s with the same chassis number: 9140430059 for those who have been in the 914 scene back when David Fagan ran the 914 Register in the late 80s early 90s. David mentioned a few times in the PCGB Trading Post monthly magazine and the quarterly Porsche Post at the time.

The history I have on Q42 PGT is that after the accident of DGU 914H a new replacement bodyshell was used to get DGU 914H repaired and then sold as an ex-demo through AFN around late 1970 early 1971. The original bodyshell was never scrapped and sat around at AFN Isleworth for around ten years before being acquired by a AFN mechanic who wanted to use the bodyshell to build a race car and could use the bodyshell on the condition it was never road registered; all the original factory stamped numbers were still intact including the chassis plate. At this time the bodyshell was then converted to RHD and the body painted beige, from the recent photos I can’t see any sign of beige, maybe the outside only. The inner panels have been painted silver, maybe it was also silver at one time. After the AFN mechanic had it for three years, it was sold to Richard Storey who then road registered it in 1983 and then at this point found out that there was already a car registered with DVLA with the same chassis number and was then allocated a Q plate. The colour was then changed to red sometime in the 80s, Richard kept the car all this time. I haven’t seen Q42 PGT since the early to mid 90s at a PCGB national event and thought it was odd seeing a 914 on a Q plate and then found out why.
David Fagan did try to buy Q42 PGT off Richard, so he could own both, but at that time Richard was not interested in selling it.

DGU 914H has a replacement body number stamped on the front inner wing where a chassis number would have been stamped normally and the 911 style chassis plate was added during David Fagan ownership as Porsche could not supply him with a stamped 914/6 chassis plate as they didn’t have any and used the 911 style instead. Last time I saw DGU 914H (which had been Dutch registered by then by David Fagan) was four years ago at the Antwerp Concours, it was part of the 50 years of 914 display. David Fagan had sold it on a few years previously as it just sat in his conservatory, and it wasn’t being driven.

Over the years I have been informed by people that they remember seeing the orange bodyshell at AFN Isleworth and also a AFN employee telling me of it being converted to RHD by the mechanic there and turned into a race car.
914 Daily driver since 1990
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

Very interesting Kev, thought you would know the story behind this car.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

So what one has the original engine etc.? The dutch car if i'm reading this correctly.?
If so then the ebay car is just the repaired shell planted on another 914....!
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

stretch wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:23 pm So what one has the original engine etc.? The dutch car if i'm reading this correctly.?
If so then the ebay car is just the repaired shell planted on another 914....!

I’d say you can’t ‘plant’ a shell on a 914, the shell is the car and you ‘plant’ all the components on the shell.

Kev’s story seems pretty clear, this one had chassis number 9140430059 stamped in by the factory so it most definitely is that chassis number.

As mentioned before, there are a number of instances of two different cars having the same chassis number, so long as the owners make the history of the car clear when they sell it it’s all gravy I’d have thought.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

stretch wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:23 pm So what one has the original engine etc.? The dutch car if i'm reading this correctly.?
The original engine was removed from DGU 914H at some point and replaced with a 2.7. Then some years later the 2.7 was removed and a 1972 914/6 2.0 engine fitted which was originally from a U.K. sold 1972 914/6.
David Fagan tracked down the original engine and bought it. David never got round to having the original engine rebuilt and it was sold with the car to the new Dutch owner.

The engine number I have for Q42 PGT is different from the one quoted by dougy, it is a type 901/11 1969 2.0E sportsmatic.

The original 914/6 engine is a type 901/36 and the engine number is stamped in a different place from the engines fitted to the 911.
914 Daily driver since 1990
dougy
DDK Fanatic

Post by dougy »

Nice to hear all the cool history and k owing the past makes it so much better.
Engine number is indeed a 911 e motor on the triple webers.
Engine number is the one stated as is on the logbook so I’m only saying what I can see. I will go look and also get the gearbox codes too but I’ve put it into secure storage as I have no safe place at work to keep it so it’s parked with my 49 bug.
All that’s been said tallies with the letter I have from Dave fagan conversing with Richard in the 90s
It’s a pretty damned cool car if I ask me :))
Thanx everyone
moriarty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by moriarty »

Love the seats, any idea of make?
914-6 2.4T conversion + (RHD)
Audi A3 Sport Saloon
Renault Megane Touring 1.9dci