Dazed and confused

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Ollie
DDK forever

Re: Dazed and confused

Post by Ollie »

Legendary film...

No idea about the other nonsense.
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Ah!
My new Porsche Post arrived 1 hour ago. Will have a read of Page 25.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

PeterK wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:34 am I'm one of the 24% that (after many years in my case) did not renew last year. I applaud the Board's attempt to understand better (no splitting my infinitives here) the members wants and needs, but IMHO, the 'organisation' is trying to cover too wide a base, and my fairly specific interests (restoring the older stuff) are better served by DDK & IB.
When I used to attend the PCGBLondon regional gatherings, I felt ignored as I wasn't arriving in the latest go-faster mega-bucks machine, almost not welcome, and always outside of the clique. I initially tried but it just wasn't worth the effort to wriggle my way into the inner circle.

I know that (drawing a quick analogy) that when there are a hierarchy of monkeys in a tree, those at the top just see smiling faces looking up at them, while those below just see a bunch of arseholes. Maybe my resto thread made me more visible, however, I have always found any DDK meets (Greatworth, CLM, Fairmile, etc) to be most welcoming (if you just make the effort to introduce yourself rather than sit on the side and await a welcoming party).
Just my 2p's worth - I'll go back to the garage now
Eloquently put Peter-your last para says it all!,
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Latest Page 25 is quite clear and is exactly what the PCGB said it would do AND to communicate it.

As I said before, it is not a car club, it is an organisation catering for a wide range of vehicles and the way those members expect to be treated and indeed entertained for their money.
I find the regions cold, I go sometimes and have even given a stirring speach about 30 years with my 911 to one region, but the 'community' leaves me cold.

I try to put a bit back in and the local region is having a showing at Loton Hillclimb this weekend for free with 12 cars attending, I've organised this.

But again as said, i won't loose sleep over all the changes on the way.

I find the fact that 5000 people leave and just over 5000 join, a 25% churn.

DDK is not a club in the normal sense but a self nurturing group with quite a focus and tolerant/welcoming of a few peripheral interests, a touch of variety is always good.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
alastairp
DDK above all

Post by alastairp »

I left after the turmoil arising from the "standing down" by the Board of a long-serving volunteer Regional Organiser in the North-West - I had no affiliation or previous knowledge of the individual, but the manner in which it was dealt with gave a very poor impression of what the club seemed to represent.
I concluded that I did not share the same values as the majority of the membership, so did not renew my subscription and, in fact, sold my more modern Porsche (Cayman 987) as I did not wish to be associated with the "typical" modern Porsche owner that the club seemed to attract.
Much happier dealing with real enthusiasts and "classic" machinery.
Sam

Post by Sam »

I must be very bored as I just read all of page 25.

What are we objecting to here? The fact it’s being run by some mildly annoying business type with a penchant for management speak? That’s all car clubs innit?

Except this one, of course.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

All Clubs for any interest are different, but 'suffer' the same structure.
President, Chairman, Treasurer etc etc.
For 29 years I was on committee for Hagley and district Light Car club, about 80 years old now and run Loton Hillclimb.
Around 13 people on said committee and a big box of volunteers just as most of the Committee are.
I've held President, Magazine Editor, Driver's School Admin and several other posts inc Chief Sign organiser and Gofer.

I left 2 years ago and am now an Honorary President. I now get a free membership and Magazine.

Most of the 13 were/are competitors, most have a professional background and apply it.

i have never heard modern business speak spoken there, just simple stuff, some falling out, some hard decisions and many good times. 500 members.

The only phrase that kept on being used at times of decision was Keep It Simple and Work Smarter than Harder.

They worked well!

PCGB is a far different animal and I wish them the very best of luck with combing it out straight from the tangle it is in (or perceives it is in).

Running a club is very hard and very influenced by those involved at the top.

FAR more interesting are the testimonials of Taycan owners in the latest issue...
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Alright alright alright.....

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some fu**in' muscle!

Just sold my 70 Chevelle :(
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

“I hope you brought your wood screws ‘Cause I’m gonna blow your doors completely off !!”
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Sam

Post by Sam »

“I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Porsche Post binders on fire off the shoulder of Orion.”
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Sam wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:20 am “I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Porsche Post binders on fire off the shoulder of Orion.”
"Watched Cibie spotlight beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate..."

;-)

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Never having been a member of PCGB, I don't have the right to feel sidelined......I suspect that us 356 types are in some way, self sidelining. Ive enjoyed real life face to face DDK action (thanks Neil) and accidentally (sort of) really enjoyed a Richard East Spring Drive, which I later found out was a PCGB thing......The vast majority of Porsche drivers on the road do not know I'm in a Porsche when I go the other way.....That's how imagine PCGB to be.....What a shame. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

I joined the club in 1969 and enjoyed getting the Porsche Posts for I guess around 10 years. Still have those posts in the garage! Used to go to a few meetings and I remember Betty Haig and her picnics at her large house in Faringdon. These were days of Bill Goodman, John Lucas, Eric Studer Edgar Valentine if I have not muddled up their names. Some imteresting talks with them on 356 matters. Bill bought a speedster for around £100 and in ended up restored. Those others did a lot of 356 racing. Then apart from the 911, the 914 came along and gradually it seemed the 356 content reduced somewhat.

I agree with Winston, I am so surprised if I see another 356 passing by when I am out in mine, its gone by the time I should flash the headlight! As for the Porsche model range I am often more than confused with what model they are. No, I think I joined really for the magazine and even that changed first to colour then to actual size.
Actually I looked up to see how many 356 cars are road registered in the UK and it seemed to say a few years ago from memory that only 66 are! No wonder they are a rare sight on the roads.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I was quite surprised that such an open admission of prior failings was made to the membership. How did it get through proof reading?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Lightweight_911 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:06 am
jb wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:53 am
I am not sure I care anymore
Indeed I am even thinking of selling the 911
That would be a great shame Jason.

Not heard much from you since your engine needed a rebuild - lost your enthusiasm ?

Very much so Andy