123 Distributors

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

123 Distributors

Post by g3ngs2 »

I know there have been some thoughts on the 123 Distributors on the other models boards but has anyone used these in their 911?

My distributor needs some love, maybe too much.... It's all in at about 3.8k and is nowhere near the top marks when trying to set timing at high revs (rather than from idle and then letting it be what it will be).

This kind of points to the springs and if I go down that route then I may as well buy the rebuild kit because it won't just be the springs and then and then and then... at the end of the day it will still be a 50 year old core.

Multiplied by unintended consequences and screwups I'm thinking of heading the 123 route and sparing myself the unnecessary excitement of the car being off the road in the summer.

Has any one got or used a 123, were you pleased with the result and the preset curves, or was further fiddling needed?

Ta

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Re: 123 Distributors

Post by g3ngs2 »

Ok bullet bitten (particularly as it was on the shelf and I got a trade rate with next day delivery bundled in)

In the end after some extensive balancing of easy... The switch version with the preloaded maps versus the Bluetooth, optimise the map yourself, but you get a ton of extraneous data you'll probably not look at ever to your phone, but you can also lock out by pin so your car isn't going anywhere (unless they also nick your original distributor, some tools and your timing light)

Have a handle on the maps and fitting based on falling down the rabbit hole of a bajillion Pelican posts last night.

Will report back......

Anyone want to buy a timing light and a Pertonix that's only been to Spa and back

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Next day delivery sometimes is actually next day.

First up the instructions for wiring are pants..

There are three wires:

A red that I sent to where the MSD gets power from, bottom fuse on the engine board.
A blue that is the earth (brown is so outdated), take your pick, but this went to the neg on the bottom of the coil for neatness
A black which went to the white trigger of the MSD (and where the Pertronix was).

Bluetooth..... As is the way a pain, but after resetting it as per factory guidance which basically wants you to short out the trigger wire. (Don't follow this but alone, find online and read the guidance)

Used their rotor arm but the existing cap.

Maps, you're on your own I'm afraid. Considering that there are quite a few of these in 911s people seem to say works great but without sharing their map, obviously natural born repressed racers Image.

The screen shot from my phone is what I've gone with. 73 911T 2.4

I based this of the grab from Pelican where someone had posted the curve.
This felt a bit high until I removed their accounting for vacuum. (Mine is plugged and the generic videos on these basically say don't bother with the vacuum)

Net result generally smoother all over stuff actually happens after 4krpm (previous one had springs that needed replacing etc) MFI AFR numbers improved considerably on cruise speed especially at about 70.

If you think my numbers for advance are off, please give me your thoughts.

For what it's worth ChatGPT suggested 51° at 6k rpm ImageImageImageImage

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

I’d personally add the vac signal back and add advance where you have light throttle cruise. The charge is less dense so burns slower. One method is to optimise so you have the highest possible vac at a certain repeatable speed/location. This means you have the least amount of throttle to get the required torque which is perfect for cruising speeds.
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Thanks Bruce Interesting point.

The curve I initially created was based on the Porsche graphs, so vacuum off and plotted in between the curves as per guidance (but with a tiny bit taken of).

Run up the motorway today and now plotted back to the average.

The app allows you to tune back the vacuum back in and then set to where in the rpm to ignore it from. From previous testing with the original distributor I've an idea of the amount of advance the vacuum adds so I'll add it back on and see how it goes

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
profblue
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by profblue »

thread earmarked. just purchased the 123 bluetooth for my 2.4 so keen to hear how you get on with it.
Mine will get larger and higher compressed pistons, S-bored heads, E-cams and Webers. should be a fun combo
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

I'll DM you....
Some quite extensive testing post install and have findings in a Google sheet which are set within the upper and lower limits of the factory specified ignition curves.

Installation is easy, resetting the Bluetooth is a dubious process.

What their thin documentation doesn't tell you is how to reset the Bluetooth or that you need to run a test curve with everything at a known number of degrees so you can make sure it's working with a timing light and adjust as it assumes wherever you've set it in the engine is 0 and then whatever you tell it in the app is 0 plus n° through the revs

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
sixpipe98
DDK Fanatic

Post by sixpipe98 »

Great post! I too am currently running MSD 6AL and Pertronix on a '73T and have been pretty happy with it but am keen to do away with the mechanical advance on the distributor as well. How is this setup going for your so far? Do you know if you're still getting the multiple spark discharge/strength from the MSD?
Cheers,

Sam
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Yup so far so good.

I've found the key to extracting the benefit from the MSD is spark plug gapping. (Currently 1.1mm)

And for the 123 ac fair amount of trial on finding the curve that works best for you.

I've all of the curves I've used documented and at the moment mine looks like the average of the Porsche recommend high / low with a couple of tweaks to suit. Happy to share if you head down this route (I also got a pretty decent discount for UK stock with next day delivery)

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
sixpipe98
DDK Fanatic

Post by sixpipe98 »

Great, many thanks! Will reach out if I end up going down this route.
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

No probs, any time

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------