OT: 2023 Racing Ridgway

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

OT: 2023 Racing Ridgway

Post by gridgway »

Evening all, I was chatting with Feroz and Simon on Sunday morning at Ridgway Towers and Feroz mentioned that he's not seen any Ridgway racing exploits. I explained to him that was because it was the most torrid start to a season ever. He said it was still interesting, so here we go. I'm hoping that we go up from here!

By way of a reminder, here is a fantastic man maths example... Now we used to do 7 or 8 meetings a year, so about one a month in the season. This is me and daughter Jen in very similar Reynard FF2000s and very lovely they are too. But being a gullible soul, I was persuaded to get other shiny stuff. This is a 1963 Lotus Elan Mk1 GTS complete with an utterly nuts 180bhp 600 twincam. Then came the complete madness with a March 742 (1974 F2) complete with 280bhp 2.0l BDG (essentially refuses to run below 8,500 and goes pop at 9,501 rpm - not really!). The man maths is that the cost would be the same as we'd still do the same number of events. I'm sure that's right! Here's the March...

Here's the Lotus:

Here's Jen's Reynard:

And to the season story so far. We've not been out in the Lotus or March yet. So a tale of two Reynards awaits.
At the end of last season all was going well, but I had a mishap in testing (FFS) caused (in my view) by a daft person on a cooldown lap not looking out behind him. As I passed, he moved over and took me off. It was a fairly big off, but no human bodily damage fortunately, but the car was a bit of a mess. All in all nothing individually too serious, just a lot of bits required for the rear. Rear upright, radiator, wing main plane, wing end support plates, wing beam, rear chassis crossmember, radiator, radius arms, gearbox casing. So quite a lot to do. Also the engine was at the end of its hours (nothing to do with the off) and was sluggish and not that happy to rev - probably abuse to the valvetrain at some point. So the motor had a refresh too. Nothing too serious, new bearings, rings, set of valves all good.

Jen's car was in ok form, but again at the end of its hours, so the same refresh but including a cam for hers.

The 2.0l pinto engines at 130bhp are not sophisticated enough to get dyno time, but they do get a rolling road session to get them run in and set up properly, which is where the weirdness starts. Jen's engine didn't fare well and the OP started going down before the end of the session. Mine seemed ok and gave top BHP as expected. Hey ho. Then we were out at Donington for a pre-season test - at least I was, we cancelled Jen's for lack of engine. All was good in session 1, I exactly matched my previous best with more to come on the newly resurfaced track. Session two was a bit messy with a couple of snagging issues. Went again in session 3. No lap time in sight, engine didn't want to rev past 6k, oil pressure dropping. Same problem, so we packed up and went home.

On inspection, both engines the same, failed bearings. No obvious reason why. Both rebuilt with bearings from a different supplier in case it was a parts failure. No big deal, cranks ok, just new bearings needed.

You will have lost the will to live at this point, so I will break now. They said smile it could be worse, so I smiled and it got worse. But before I go, I also had a mild refresh of the BDG in the March which is sophisticated enough to have a dyno run. Here's the flattest torque curve in the world, with 278.5 bhp

And here it is doing its thing:

ImageVID-20230517-WA0001 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr

Thanks for listening, next episode coming!
yoda
I need to get out more!

Re: OT: 2023 Racing Ridgway

Post by yoda »

The only way is up Graham!!
The force is strong in this one ......
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Thanks Feroz.

To finish the current tale of woe, Jen and I went with newly refreshed bottom-end engines to the first FF2000 meeting of the year at Snett. Neither engine was run in, so we did that in the first session. Second session, I got going, times were coming on, engine still not very revvy, but ok. Started a "push lap" (as they say on telly) and got enthusiastic going onto the Bentley straight. Strayed too wide on the exit, thought it would be ok. It wasn't. Rear outside tyre got on the dirt and round we went, not the worst injury in the world, but wiped the wing off the back. So that was me done for the day finding bits to borrow and fit for race day (wing end plates, wing beam, wing main plane).

In the second session for Jen, her left rear damper snapped in exactly the same place as I had the off. Fortunately she just span on the grass and didn't hit anything. Put a spare damper on.

Third session, Jen lost a driveshaft and parked up for the session. We changed the lobro joint ready for the last session for her. Came to fire it up and it made a nasty noise cranking. On further investigation, the (external) oil scavenge and pressure pump was seized and the belt jumping was making the nasty noise. On a hunch we also took the rocker cover off and found the annoying cam-locating-slot worn problem. A well known problem with no rhyme or reason that dumps the worn away cam material into the oil and takes out the bearings (and maybe in this case the oil pump as well). Looking at the video, the OP warning light comes on a few seconds after the driveshaft let go as she was cruising onto the grass. The engine was still running, so that's when it happened. So no race day action for Jen.

Then race day for me. Some background here is that I am designated test driver for the Hoosiers, the possible replacements to Avons for next year. We hadn't yet had time to get them working well, so expectations for quali were low. But I was running in 17th - you know there's something very wrong when the pit board doesn't get put out :lol: It was pretty horrible, slow pace, yuk. Put down to tyres, but probably not. Managed a few places better to 15th I think. Worst quali ever (apart from when something has previously gone wrong).

Got to the race. On the green flag lap, I lost first gear, so went through the pit lane to start at the back of the grid not wanting to do a standing start in 2nd gear and have people run into me. it was awful! Normally starting at the back is fun and I'll get to around 8th or 6th. Engine wouldn't do more than 5,800, was slowest in the speed traps, 10mph off everyone else. Did two laps, packed up and came home.

So all told, a damper, a driveshaft, a rear wing, a broken gear and two buggered engines. Talk about the highs and lows of motor racing! There weren't any highs!

A week tomorrow we are doing pre season testing of the March and the Lotus ready for Donington in another week's time. It's fair to say I am fairly nervous! The twincam is highly strung and costly, the BDG is extremely highly strung and extremely costly!
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Good grief!
So pleased I do hillclimbing.

That all sounds awful to me with heaps of grief and lost time and expense.

Sure hope it all turns round pdq for you both and the cars work well.

Shelsley Walsh for us this weekend, just 30 seconds for a race run (only 2 given), 2.5 minutes of seat time over the weekend.
A stroll in the park by comparison Graham. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Sounds a beautiful simplicity Graham!
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Still love it after 32 years too.
Lots of time for coffee and bacon butties.

Must be the poorest miles/£ in motorsport outside of drag racing.
But the armco and trees are not far away either....
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

As a quick update, we are at Donington this weekend for the HSCC meeting. I'll be out in the March 742 for two 20 minute races (saturday and sunday) In Aurora Trophy and also in the Elan for the 60 minute two driver Guards Trophy (sunday). Hard to get more different there in driving style, braking points and corner speeds :lol:

Jen is under the weather so won't be sharing the Elan with me, so I have Tom Smith co-driving. He runs the cars, previously won the FF2000 championship and is a chunk quicker than me. Our class in the Aurora contains 7 Elans, so that should be mega!

We tested both cars last week for the first time out this season for a shakedown with reasonable success. We had a slight misfire at higher revs in the Elan and scrunched a dog-ring in the March. Both cars were going well. The March around Donington is a beast. Old Hairpin is stupidly fast - lots of time to find through there and Coppice has huge g-forces, seems to go on for ever. Not quite sure how I'll get through 20 minutes without my head falling off.

And there might be rain to mix it up a bit.

What fun! If anyone does pop along, we'll be somewhere in garages 1-12 - the March is hard to miss.
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

following...
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Well first update of the weekend and it's not good. The March engine has a hole in the block, so no more pay in that this weekend.

Just the elan to drive now.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Hehe, great typo, they will be lots of pay, just no more play until after the pay!
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Oh My
From this thread it's starting to look like the Lotus is the most reliable car you have... ;-)

All the best

Ian F.

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

How on earth do you do such damage?
Would drive me mad Graham.

Hope you can find a usable block.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Ah yes the ever reliable lotus!

And yes Graham I am at the very end of my tether.

Let's hope the lotus makes it to the end of the race on Sunday.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Having had a big think overnight, with the prospect of a wet race in the lotus tomorrow I've decided to call it a day, mojo has departed.

Also I'm going to take the rest of the season off while I rethink.

The highs and lows of motor racing!!