What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

anglophone1
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by anglophone1 »

I did a school day at Gurston Down in Jaffa 911 Jeremy, I think I was indeed the slowest but i enjoyed it and learned a lot!!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

No school uses a stop watch on the day, that is not the point.
The correct approach will get you going fast and safe.

A hill climb is only a country lane where you know nobody else is coming the other way.
Walking the hill is the most valuable prep you can make imho and don't You Tube it too much!

You just drive the car to a point where you still feel safe but with a tinge of excitement added. A rainy day will give a lot of the latter...

Like Wayne, SW is not my fav hill at all, but a place full of atmosphere and magic in a fab setting, it cannot be bettered.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

I finally got it running again. the motor sounds good and hopefully the horrible screech will have gone now that i adjusted the fan belt.

Just waiting fot the salt to leave the roads and out we go 😁
1974 Porsche 914
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Somewhere in the mists of time and possibly in a galaxy far far away there was talk of trackers somewhere.

After some mulling for the Monimoto 7. £129 and after the 3 months free subscription expires it's about £35 a year (no sim as it uses their esim)

Place box thing somewhere in the car.
No wiring as it uses lithium AA batteries. Which should last give or take a year.

The lasting so long comes from how it works.
Place box in car. The fob you put somewhere in the garage or coat pocket if you're out and about. (Prob best not on your car keyring)

When the box detects movement (you can set how much movement) it goes and looks to see if the fob is about.
If it sees the fob then no further action.
If it doesn't see the fob then the tracker gets turned on and the service calls you. Handy if you've become a bit blind to SMS messages or the flow of Whatsapps.

The other upside of the no wiring needed is that you can just pick it out of one car and plonk it on another one

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

Took Tango 914 over Healy Pass - put a smile back on my face after a very frustrating 48 hoursImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
Sam

Post by Sam »

Great stuff Clive. The car looks mega. I think I’ve only ever seen it tucked away in a corner at Greatworth or in pics in your garage.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

You didn't buy a DDK calendar then= cover pic- will dig it out or maybe Bootsy will post.
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Nice warm day in the garage, so despite fighting off the last round of 'covid' (or whatever I've been blitzed by) decided the time was ripe to oil change the 3.2 in the hillclimb Lola.

First event is just 5 weeks away, so time to stir it into action, or at least show willing.
It's great to work on this car as in an instant the whole car is exposed, but just the rear clam off with the assistance of Mrs HC.

Drained the sump fist, engine cold and has been standing for 5 months.
Golden oil dropped out and so did the drain plug slip from my latex glove fingers into the depth of the drained oil.
Retreived, good to see zero debris on the magnetic sump plug. This is the 2nd oil drop since the mega rebuild almost exactly a year ago. The oil is about 160 miles old.

Oil was golden and free of anything sparkling suspended in it, so really pleased.

Dry sump tank dropped next, same result and then the filter, the element was clean inside too.

Engine looking good and now with 12 litres of oil in and I would have started it if i had some 99 octane...

Cleaned the whole engine bay down and finally checked the 'box oil which just dribbled out of the filler.

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Last time I was under the car I noticed that the rear shocks, Bilstein Sports (green) bought in June 2003, we’re looking a bit tatty. At Race Retro last month I spoke to the guys on the Bilstein stand about refurb. They don’t do cosmetics but reckoned that a refurb of internals was about 80% of the new cost, so probably worthwhile. I called Bilstein today to confirm and was told £92 + VAT each, so £220 all in and a 2 week turnaround. A new set is ca£280. So it’s a £220 + some labour/paint vs £280ish new.

This does remind you that when you are in a long term relationship with a car (25 years this year) that some things you did a while ago need re-doing
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

My shocks are currently down at Gaz for a refurb after 8 years of competition. I am not expecting any bent pistons or anything but who knows - they see quite a lot of damage from hitting kerbs on circuits evidently.

In more water cooled news the Tip project car I bought with a broken engine is now mechanically tip-top (see what I did there) and drove down the drive under its own steam for the first time since I swapped the engine. More pleasing, I managed to get the Tip box working in manual and auto correctly. I was a bit concerned as they are funny devils to work on and this was my first, and the Tip dash lights were like a disco when I first started the car….clearing error codes with my reader sorted that. Some light bodywork now (paint both bumpers) and we’ll be away

In air cooled news I taxed the 964 and took it for a very nice shakedown ready for some planned trips.

93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

911hillclimber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:37 pm Nice warm day in the garage, so despite fighting off the last round of 'covid' (or whatever I've been blitzed by) decided the time was ripe to oil change the 3.2 in the hillclimb Lola.

First event is just 5 weeks away, so time to stir it into action, or at least show willing.
It's great to work on this car as in an instant the whole car is exposed, but just the rear clam off with the assistance of Mrs HC.

Drained the sump fist, engine cold and has been standing for 5 months.
Golden oil dropped out and so did the drain plug slip from my latex glove fingers into the depth of the drained oil.
Retreived, good to see zero debris on the magnetic sump plug. This is the 2nd oil drop since the mega rebuild almost exactly a year ago. The oil is about 160 miles old.

Oil was golden and free of anything sparkling suspended in it, so really pleased.

Dry sump tank dropped next, same result and then the filter, the element was clean inside too.

Engine looking good and now with 12 litres of oil in and I would have started it if i had some 99 octane...

Cleaned the whole engine bay down and finally checked the 'box oil which just dribbled out of the filler.

Is it wrong that I so enjoy looking at your car without its clothes on? :-)

All the best
Ian

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

It is the same where ever it goes, open the back and the crowd is instant, undress it and the crowd just gets bigger, thus you have the same problem as many others! :)

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
andytat
DDK forever

Post by andytat »

It does look rather good Graham!
Now Porsche less and sad.
3.2 Carrera Speedster (Sold and sorely missed)
3.2 Manual Cayenne (Sold)
73 2.4S (Gone to Singapore)
75 3.0l 914 (Sold)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thanks, I'm lucky to have it.
Just noticed this is page 492, and the Lola is a T492 design....
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9