Getting started in hillclimb events

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Getting started in hillclimb events

Post by 911hillclimber »

Following Neil's thread about his hillclimb journey, and KS's too in his 914 here is a formal way to see what is required of YOU (first) and then the car (second) of your choice.

To get started is not simple, you do not just turn up and have a blast, quite the opposite.

The sport is governed by Motorsport UK, and a look at their 'Getting Started' section on their web page will pay dividends.

www.motorsportuk.org

Click 'Get Started'
Select Types of motorsort off the menu and scroll down and click Hillclimbs.

Read it all and open the links.

I will add here my take on the details you need to have in mind:

Go to an event near you for the day, chat to competitors and be sure you want to do it, the cost mounts up, so best be sure!
Enrole and do a Hillclimb School day in your nice silent road car (no EV's allowed). This will get you right into the action. You can borrow a helmet from the organizers. Cost is about £225.

If still enthused...

Get started.
Get the correct Licence (see MotorsportUK link)
Buy the clothing that is correct. You CANNOT use a mate's motorcycle helmet, it has to be to the correct spec as will the race overalls and the gloves required. READ all the details in the Blue Book. Cost about £600
All details are in the Motorsport UK 'Blue Book' which is on the link above.
Join a recognised MotorClub. This is a must, about £60 to 80.

The car next:

Using a nice road car is a good way to start. Drive there, do the event drive back. It can be that simple.
The road classes are full of MX5's, Clios, Fiestas etc, I started in my 911 in the road class 32 years ago.

Car prep is essential, reliability and safety paramount. Rust bucket sheds will not pass scrutineering so you will not be allowed to race.

You have sole responsibility to present yourself and car compliant to the details in the blue book.

You will need race numbers on the car, right size and colour (do NOT drive on the road with race numbers on the car)
You will need a 'timing strut' on the front of the car, a simple vertical blade of 2mm aluminium you can attach/detach readily, all details in the Blue book.
Towing loops front and rear incase you need to be removed from the track (accident).
A simple sticker to indicate how to shut the engine off to the marshals in event of a crash.

The event:

Entry to an event is now all on-line and can be very simple. There are lots of details to be given. All events ask the same questions, payment by PayPal or Card.
Entering an even does NOT mean you will get a place!
There are closing dates for events, entering last is pointless, so plan your event well.

Race Day:
Arrive early, walking the course is a MUST, it is good to know where you are going....
If in doubt about anything ask a fellow competitor, marshal or official.

Relax and have fun.

There are many more details that can at first seem obstructive and some answers hard to find.
Do your homework and you will have a great time.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
anglophone1
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Getting started in hillclimb events

Post by anglophone1 »

Great stuff Graham- how about a series?
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Brilliant, thanks for starting this thread ! :cyclopsani:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

A series? No chance, would take hours.

I have had a 'series' running on my Lolo hill climb car on another web site since about 2008 from the day I bought it to where I do a 'race report' and much more.
Some might call it a blog, not sure what that means.

It stands at 850,000+ hits and about 3000 replies and I'll soon be waking it up for the 2023 season.

Keith does a great job of voicing good club level hillclimbs, soon to be international too, so best leave the reporting to him. :)

If anyone is interested:

www.Ten-Tenths.com

Scroll down to Historic Racing and Motorsport History section.
Scroll to Motorsport History, click

Thread is History of a Lola T492 Sports 2000 Chassis, almost at the very top of the list.
Last edited by 911hillclimber on Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I think he means are there any recommended series for beginners ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Ok, if that is so, then a simple Google for series in a given locality of interest is readily found.
I said join a local motor club, this is one of the ways a club can help.

Many venues run a single venue Championship.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
anglophone1
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by anglophone1 »

Practical tips for first couple of meetings?
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

All common sense stuff.
Have all the things you need, clothingand licence (signed) to hand.
Clean car with everything sorted, inc remove spare tyre, tools etc.
Fit race numbers, both sides and on the front.
Check tyre pressures.
Enough fuel.
Fit front strut.

Be aware how the venue operates, where things are, where people are.
Be absolutely sure you are in your correct spot in the paddock, you will get a plan to follow.
Arrive early and walk the course.
You might have to sign on.
Possibly attend new drivers briefing at some venues.
Get ready for the call of your class.
Do exactly what the marshals in the paddock tell you to.

After your run return to the paddock and your place, check the car over.
Chat to your fellow class mates and listen to their stories, lots of banter, but also good advice.

Bacon buttie and a coffee.

Not exhaustive (I do more), others could add to this lot.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

A few comments from my perspective...

At a minimum, you need an RS Inter Club licence, which currently costs £74 per year. Go to https://www.motorsportuk.org/ to make an on-line application. You cannot use a free MSUK Clubman licence for hillclimbing, or any event which requires timing equipment.

To find a local club that participates in hillclimb events, go to https://www.motorsportuk.org/clubs-orga ... ind-clubs/ and do a search, entering 'hillclimbs' in the search box.

For race suit, make sure it is current with FIA 8856-2018 or FIA 8856-2000 specification. OMP does a great range, starting at around £300, but I got mine from Demon Tweeks when they had a sale for about £190. Worth keeping an eye out for deals – hint: Demon Tweeks and others often use eBay as a way to sell sale stock...

For a helmet, look out for one of the following specs:
FIA 8860-2010,
FIA 8859-2015
FIA 8860-2018
FIA 8860-2018-ABP
SNELL SA2015 (Not valid after 31.12.26)
SNELL SA2020
(There are a couple of other SNELL-spec helmets which are currently legal, but the spec expires at the end of this year, so not really worth buying a helmet which will be out of date so soon).

I use either a full-face or open-face helmet. Mostly I use a Hedtec open face, costing around £180 (I personally prefer the open face as it is easier to see controls etc. However, if you are running an open car, you'll need eye protection in the form of goggles, or full-face with visor). You can add HANS device fittings if you are running full-harness belts. The requirement to use a HANS device depends on the class – again, Production classes don't require them, but you may feel its a worthwhile addition... Check it's FIA compliant.

You don't need a Nomex balaclava in Production classes, so it's up to you if you choose to wear one. Good old Demon Tweeks came up trumps and gave one away free when I bought my new helmets. Again, look out for FIA 8856-2018 or FIA 8856-2000

You'll need gloves, again look out for FIA 8856-2018 or FIA 8856-2000 specification. Cost about £75-upwards (again watch out for 'bargain deals' from DT).

You don't need fire-proof boots in Production class, but it's worth buying proper racing boots IMHO.

In Production classes, regular lap-and-diagonal belts are legal, but you'll soon feel the need to upgrade to harnesses to keep you in place! Don't worry about them being in date in Production classes – just make sure they are in good condition.

There are loads of other bits and bobs to consider but in general once you've bought your suit, helmet and gloves (and licence!), from a personal point of view, you're good to go.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Perfect post from Keith above.
I hope you didn't type all those standards from memory!

Helmets have been difficult for me for several reasons; thought a few experiences and details may be of interest.

I live about 2 hours from Demon Tweeks who are up in north Wales, and I have been there for all my clothing. Dave Kimberly is a hillclimber there so fully understands what is needed.

Helmets.
You can't use bike helmets, pity as imho they are better to wear and use and to wear glasses with.
I now drive an open car so need a closed helmet, so need to remove my glasses to fit the helmet and then poke the arms of the glasses into place and to my ears. That can be a lot harder to do than you think.
The internal padding of different makes are very different, so ensure you really can easily get your glasses on (no sun glasses allowed).

In my class I have to wear a HANS neck restraint. The helmet must have the correct pick-up posts.
Many wear Hans now as it makes so much sense and will save whiplash to the neck in an accident.

They also all have different shapes which affect comfort. Wear it for 5 mins before making a decision.
There is a Scrutineer's test for helmet fit.
You fit it, strap tight and the scrutineer tries to pull it off your head! I've seen this done, the helmet was oversized and the drive did not race that weekend.
Also, any chips, gouges etc to the helmet surface might see the scrutineer condemning a helmet, treat it with great care (dirty overalls and tatty gloves can get you into trouble too!)

Cost!
You can pay a huge amount, or budget level, all good if the standards are met.
I've found £350 mark helmets are light and the padding robust.
I have a Bell simply because it is comfortable.

Demon Tweeks (mail order) take helmet fit seriously, and will exchange FOC one helmet size for another until you have it right.
A trip to them is worth it, the choice is wide.

Just when you thought it was all over, on your first event with a new helmet, you need the Scrutineer to give you a blue sticker to prove it has been checked, £5 on the day I think.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
keith fellowes
DDK forever

Post by keith fellowes »

All good info from KS and Graham, but I would recommend to buy the latest specification kit with holograms on.
From this year in rallying in the EU, overalls, helmets, boots and hans have to have holograms and from next year the underwear as well.
At the moment the MSUK are not specifying this standard but I'm sure at some point they will, it is all insurance driven

If at some point in the future you want to sell the kit, the latest spec will be easier to sell