911SC (RHD) project swap or p/ex for RHD aircooled 911 on the road?

After a set of 11's? Post your wanted adverts here.

Moderator: Miggs

Strictly
DDK slapper chatter

911SC (RHD) project swap or p/ex for RHD aircooled 911 on the road?

Post by Strictly »

Essentially is anyone interested in a 911 project swap or p/ex against an aircooled 911 which is on the road? Cash your way of course....

I have a 1979 911SC RHD project to swap or part/ex. Im just putting it out there.......I am right on the tip of starting some serious restoration work, and once I jump over the edge, there is no going back until I finish. With this in mind It has occurred to me that I can either upgrade which will either get me to the end goal much faster, or swap to a different 911 project which is closer in specification to my preference (i,e sport model instead of my non-sport).

This is what I have

1979 RHD 911SC Coupe, White with black interior, manual, matching number engine, non sport sunroof model, HPI clear, full service history with booklets and toolkit, 154k miles, never been welded (but needs all the usual work.....), last on the road in 2007, engine and gearbox out, engine turns over (but full strip planned anyway). I'm just about to strip the shell to prepare for new sills, heater tube work, torsion bar ends, front inner wing area, sunroof drains, etc. Front suspension pan and engine bay are both all good. Realistically I reckon i'm in for 500-1000 or so hours, and that just the body. So based on my 5-10 hours a week, its going to be a quite a while before I can drive it. I have the skillz to do all of it....just holding fire for a moment to see if anything else is about before I jump....

This is what i want

Aircooled RHD 911 (any from 1965 to 1998), coupe, manual, full service history, matching number engine, HPI clear,....now for the preference.....a sport model (as I have a non-sport), or maybe a Carrera 3.0, or just something funky (yellow with cinnamon interior, silver with red interior, that type of thing), 77 to 98 are also more preferable. Would also consider a RHD Ferrari.

P.S

my 911 is not for sale, I would only let it go, If I had another 911 firmly in my grasp. If need be I can sell mine rather than a p/ex, but I would patience and a firm commitment while I did so.

P.P.S

I'm going to give it a few weeks, if no interest. I'll just jump into my resto and not look back.
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 911SC (RHD) project swap or p/ex for RHD aircooled 911 on the road?

Post by Jonny Hart »

I don't understand the swap for a ''Sport' model SC. Only difference is the tea-tray spoiler, front lip and Bilsteins and Fuchs all of which are readily available. Sport models don't necessarily come with Sports seats - mine didn't.

TBH, I spent a considerable amount of time 'desporting' mine, preferring a flat lid and no front lip spoiler. People fall over themselves for non-sport SC flat lids without the spoiler holes.

(not really helpful - sorry)
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

I think it's a case of one is on the road and driving ... the other isn't and won't be for quite a while ??
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
Strictly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Strictly »

Hi your both right,

Basically I am weighing up two things:
  • * Swapping my time for cash, by just buying something on the road and "part exin", or near the road, or just needing an engine rebuild (i have a spare)
OR
  • * swapping my cash for a car with more end value, on the basis that it "they all cost the same to restore". Ok so the sport vs non-sport is a preety small detail when we talk about "end value", but to be fair a sport does IMHO have more "end value".....an SC vs C3 or RHD C2.7 is a little different.
So basically I'm weighing it all up, and just seeing what if any options are on the table. If not i'll take the plunge and get on with the work i need to do.