Flares....

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Flares....

Post by Darren65 »

matteo68 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:43 pm Seriously impressive! Now we need to find someone who will do something similar and produce a limited run of Heinzmanns! Image
....well I'd happily swap Mr Moore a nice oil cooler for one of those! :wink:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Mike wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:05 pmGoing to be fantastic Darren, solid rockers as well?
I've decided to fit Schrick adjustable racing rockers. Given the amount of road miles this car will do as well as track use I feel they're a sound choice and will help when it comes to maintenance.

These are forged CNC milled part used in many race engines, lighter and stronger with a DLC coating and an extended contact area between cam and rocker, they're ideally suited to race cams.

Still eye-waveringly expensive but damned cool and very sexy 8) .....

...cams are full 3.0 RS spec and currently in production which takes some time due to oil feed drilling and spark erosion process etc. Can't wait to see those!

That's pretty much it for engine parts....let the build begin! :)

Cheers,
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Glad to see someone else is spending it like Beckham too!
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Touché :lol:
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Darren65 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:46 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:05 pmGoing to be fantastic Darren, solid rockers as well?
I've decided to fit Schrick adjustable racing rockers. Given the amount of road miles this car will do as well as track use I feel they're a sound choice and will help when it comes to maintenance.

These are forged CNC milled part used in many race engines, lighter and stronger with a DLC coating and an extended contact area between cam and rocker, they're ideally suited to race cams.

Still eye-waveringly expensive but damned cool and very sexy 8) .....

...cams are full 3.0 RS spec and currently in production which takes some time due to oil feed drilling and spark erosion process etc. Can't wait to see those!

That's pretty much it for engine parts....let the build begin! :)

Cheers,
I'm clearly missing something - how are they "adjustable" ?
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Iirc the rsr engines had rockers without the adjusting screw.
They used top caps and shims.
Hence the above are adjustable, and really expensive
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
rich73
Married to the DDK

Post by rich73 »

They look like the rockers Phil from Driftworks has just fitted on his 964 turbo after a failed acceptance test of the originals @2:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSddHEjtN8s
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Darren65 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:46 pm...cams are full 3.0 RS spec and currently in production which takes some time due to oil feed drilling and spark erosion process etc. Can't wait to see those!....
....I've had a massive dose of good fortune and was contacted yesterday by a member of Porsche Royalty to ask if an original set of 911 105 103/4 00 RSR cams would be of any use!!! :shock: .....

....inclusive of cam drive hub, injection pump drive, hole/mounting for the mechanical rev counter and fine thread nuts they're exactly what I need........rare parts indeed, it feels a bit like a significant lottery win! :)

It will mean a slight change of plans as I intended to use my original cam towers and had just commissioned RSR spec cams with 49mm journals to suit.....earlier cams had 47mm journals and I've since learnt that whilst regular cams had 3 journals, all the racing engines had 4.....not such a problem as this changed back to 4 journals on later engines and I just need to locate a set of 74/75 cam towers which can be modified for the oilways.....I think that's correct, I'm learning and every day's a school day!

The moral of this story is that if I hadn't posted about my rockers I doubt I would have been offered the RSR cams.......it's important to share on DDK! :wink:

Cams have been dispatched and I should have them Monday.......I can't wait! :cheers:

Cheers,
Last edited by Darren65 on Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Darren65 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:20 pm....it's important to share on DDK! :wink:

Cheers,

Amen
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

rich73 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:06 pm They look like the rockers Phil from Driftworks has just fitted on his 964 turbo after a failed acceptance test of the originals @2:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSddHEjtN8s
Yep, those are the ones! 8)
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Darren65 wrote:
Darren65 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:46 pm...cams are full 3.0 RS spec and currently in production which takes some time due to oil feed drilling and spark erosion process etc. Can't wait to see those!....
....I've had a massive does of good fortune and was contacted yesterday by a member of Porsche Royalty to ask if an original set of 911 105 103/4 00 RSR cams would be of any use!!! :shock: .....

....inclusive of cam drive hub, injection pump drive, hole/mounting for the mechanical rev counter and fine thread nuts they're exactly what I need........rare parts indeed, it feels a bit like a significant lottery win! :)

It will mean a slight change of plans as I intended to use my original cam towers and had just commissioned RSR spec cams with 49mm journals to suit.....earlier cams had 47mm journals and I've since learnt that whilst regular cams had 3 journals, all the racing engines had 4.....not such a problem as this changed back to 4 journals on later engines and I just need to locate a set of 74/75 cam towers which can be modified for the oilways.....I think that's correct, I'm learning and every day's a school day!

The moral of this story is that if I hadn't posted about my rockers I doubt I would have been offered the RSR cams.......it's important to share on DDK! :wink:

Cams have been dispatched and I should have them Monday.......I can't wait! :cheers:

Cheers,
Fantastic Darren!ImageImage
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Excited to catch up with DDK's favourite courier service today who came bearing the coolest of gifts, huge thanks Nick :thumbleft:

And for me it doesn't get any better than these 8) ......

...incredibly massive thanks to our very own Sage of the Lakes Mike Bainbridge who released these from his own personal collection of rare parts. You're a Superstar Mike :notworthy:

...the magic numbers...

...Mike's been saving these for me for the past 30-odd years, they came from a sound engine and are in good shape after their slumber although they'll get sent away for dressing, polishing, refurb etc and to check that lift and duration are all to RSR spec.

I'm told they're a savage thing to live with and so hope that's right! :) :headbang:

Cheers,
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Excellent Darren. I always thought the power delivery on the Mongrel wasn't exciting enough, these should help make for more lively drives!
The force is strong in this one ......
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

yoda wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:07 pm Excellent Darren. I always thought the power delivery on the Mongrel wasn't exciting enough, these should help make for more lively drives!
:drunken:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

These restorations can be painful and arduous and at times this one has been particularly gruelling!

But there have been some pretty cool occurrences along the way.....and none more so than my conversations with this chap over the past couple of weeks.....

....I've been chatting to George Dyer who's building an exact, detailed replica of RSR #9048 in it's 1977 livery.....

.....George was at pains to point out that this is isn't 'just another tribute' cars and much work has gone into the build to get it just right. He think the coolers I've had fabricated are the most accurate he's seen and will be fitting one to his build. Fuel cell also looks pretty neat 8) .....