Black Carrera RS - SuperCarSunday - James Martin

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Disco
DDK rules my life!

Black Carrera RS - SuperCarSunday - James Martin

Post by Disco »

yesterday, I was lucky enough to be invited, in my humble 356, to exhibit at James Martin's ( Chef ) super car Sunday. - it was a relatively low key event actually, with James brining some of his cars along. As an aside, I knew he was into cars, but didn't realise he had quite such a collection - clearly cheffing is a lucrative business. Anyway - on the way to Chewton Glenn, I was buzzing along the M27 at about 70 and was passed by a Carrera RS. When you see these things on the road, I tend to think, just like I do with most speedsters, 'nice rep'.

an hour or so later, full of macdonalds breakfast, I arrived at the event, parked up and noticed the Black RS. The owner and his very attractive co-driver and I sparked up a conversation. Turns out it was a real one, but not only that, it had been owned by him since about 1974-5, never restored, just nurtured. Original paint, original panels ( obvs ) engine and gearbox. The car looked absolutely mint condition. The chap was lovely too, really interested in his Porsche's - also owning a Carrera 356 and seemed genuinely interested in my old jallopy. Cut to about 2 hours later, we crossed paths again on the 'paddock' sparked up another conversation ( me admiring his car even more ) and it turned out that the owner was an ex formula 1 driver who won the British GP..

there's no real point in this post, other than to report that I've seen the most original RS ever (IMO), but really to say how nice classic car ownership is. Mainly because of the genuinely nice people you meet and to say that I was hugely surprised with the quality of the cars at the event - not many Porsche to be fair, but a gullwing (never seen one in real life before ) a beautiful lagonda and some very expensive new stuff that all looks the same to me :) - well worth the drive down to the new forest if he does it again.

disco
deano
I luv DDK!

Re: Black Carrera RS - SuperCarSunday - James Martin

Post by deano »

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Any pics? :cyclopsani: and maybe a few of the cars too? :P
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Disco wrote:Turns out it was a real one, but not only that, it had been owned by him since about 1974-5… it turned out that the owner was an ex formula 1 driver who won the British GP..

disco
Those two conditions must narrow the list of possible names somewhat! :)

Nice to see original cars still out and about.

Any pics?
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

John Watson, winner of the British Grand Prix in 1981 and a owner of a RS. Was it him?
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

My guess would be Jody Scheckter ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

John Watson has owned a black 73 RS from virtually new.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

210bhp wrote:John Watson has owned a black 73 RS from virtually new.

Regards
Mike
Agreed, sounds like John Watson’s car. I believe it was given to him new by Hexagon and it sold at auction quite recently.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-fea ... tson/23513
The force is strong in this one ......
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

it was John Watson, yes.

I think I've lost my access to photobucket - so here's a link to instragram - there's a few pictures on there and there's also another post with a few more!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeJki0JoKt4 ... _copy_link

and

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeLhsdkIfuQ ... _copy_link

cheers.!
hot66

Post by hot66 »

James Martins collection is pretty impressive and he seems to have the right attitude towards the cars he likes

https://youtu.be/o3hjoQnxe44
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

yoda wrote:
210bhp wrote:John Watson has owned a black 73 RS from virtually new.

Regards
Mike
Agreed, sounds like John Watson’s car. I believe it was given to him new by Hexagon and it sold at auction quite recently.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-fea ... tson/23513
He mentioned to me that he still owned it, so I dont think this one was sold at auction.? he also said to me that he traded in a grenada ford for it with Hexagon and paid off the outstanding of the £6,000 cost through doing work for them.

very nice chap.
Sam

Post by Sam »

hot66 wrote:James Martins collection is pretty impressive and he seems to have the right attitude towards the cars he likes

https://youtu.be/o3hjoQnxe44
But sadly the wrong attitude towards people who ride a bike if you Google it.

Bit of a c*** according to many who have met him too. ☹️
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I met him (albeit several years ago) & to quote an old friend of mine :

"I wouldn't even cross the road to p*ss on him if he was on fire" ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

I went off him when I watched him entering the Mille Miglia where he chose to ignore the advice on running in the engine in the car he was driving and wrecked it. Arrogant.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Many many years ago, my brother was manager of a Texaco filling station and JW regularly came in to fill up with fuel. My bro remarked at the time what a nice man he was.
And of no note whatsoever, from his lowly filling station years my brother ended up at Texaco HQ as head of franchised garages (or some such title)!
Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Tp81 »

Hope you don't mind me jumping on. The title is appropriate, I was away for the weekend with my wife at a local hotel. Nice relax afternoon with a gin festival in full swing. 4 lovely German registered cars pulled in and parked up for the night, 3.2, 964, 993 cab and a truly stunning Black 73 RS. Spoke to the owner of the 993 who didn't speak much English (late 60's), 10 days touring Scotland. She acknowledge my admiration for her friends RS, this was similar to the one you spotted really original and beautiful. Well used, immaculate condition and truly stunning, soft and worn inside with leather and cord sports seats. It was seriously nice. I only had my I phone and it was really bright so the pictures aren't great. Like you have said lovely to see these being used.

DDK#694