Historic 911R decal recreation

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Mark Morrissey
DDK Fanatic

Historic 911R decal recreation

Post by Mark Morrissey »

This can be moved to the For Sale section but I'd like to first see if anyone is interested.
You may already know about this little project via a couple of other sources. Sorry for the redundancy if you are:

I've had this on the back burner for well over 10 years and finally got off my you know what to get it done.

Porsche 911R chassis number 911899 005 was one of the early R's that had competition success. Most well know for 005 was the victory at the 1969 Tour de France with Gérard Larrousse driving. But Larrousse also won the Tour de Corse with 005. It eventually ended up with Jo Siffert and it was part of the group of competition cars he supplied McQueen for use in the movie Le Mans.

Sometime prior to the Tour de Corse a decal was applied to the driver's side rear quarter window. The decal came from an event on the Island of Corsica — Association Sportive Automobile, Corsica Groupe Competition.

The car was purchased by a Canadian collector who replaced the window and sold it to another collector. Some time around 1998 the Canadian collector contacted the late Cris Huergas after he and his brothers along with Rodney Chew had their story in Excellence Magazine in the USA. The guy offered the quarter window to him. Cris put him in touch with Ernie Wilberg and he was able to purchase it. Ernie still has the window. The photo of Cris show him holding the quarter window up to the same area of his car of the time, a ’69 911S. Technically that was the first R Gruppe car.

Ernie found confirmation of 911R 005 with the decal through photos published in John Starkey's book, “From R to GT3R” showing the ASA decal in the exact area it was applied to the window he’d just purchased.

The Corsica Competition Groupe is still in existence but they aren't responsive to inquiries and they're NOT offering decals as far as I can tell. As most of you know, the car is in the Rev's Institute collection in Florida today, without the cool Corsica decal.

So, here it is... I've recreated the decal and I'd like to see if any early Porsche 911 enthusiasts here in the UK might like to have one or two. Note, the decal is NOT a perfect copy of the original Its very close and close enough for a hack like myself. Hope you agree.

The cost will be $6 each plus shipping. I've already sent several overseas through United States Postal Service, First-Class shipping and the cost isn't too bad.
It's just under $16 us and is around 3 ounces.

If you're interested, shoot me an email:
marksgtv@gmail.com

Thanks very much folks.
MM

ImageIMG_3641 by MARK Morrissey, on Flickr

Image005R - 30 by MARK Morrissey, on Flickr

Imagephoto037xm copy by MARK Morrissey, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5455 by MARK Morrissey, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5026 by MARK Morrissey, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5027 by MARK Morrissey, on Flickr

ImageScreen Shot 2021-07-22 at 12.47.01 PM by MARK Morrissey, on Flickr
Early Porsche 911 misfit
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Historic 911R decal recreation

Post by KS »

That's pretty cool!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Mark Morrissey
DDK Fanatic

Re: Historic 911R decal recreation

Post by Mark Morrissey »

Recreating the Corsica decal set me off on a crazy journey of digging out my vintage decals that I thought would be cool to recreate, designing my own motorsport inspired images and it has snowballed into a rather large ‘thing’. I know the cost of shipping from the US to the UK isn’t ideal but I know a few of you guys have already gotten some of my stuff.

No pressure… just think you might enjoy checking out a few things on my relatively new website.

One big issue is I haven’t been able figure out proper shipping options to outside the USA on this site.
So if you want to buy something, please email me with your paypal account email and your shipping address and I’ll make an invoice for you.
marksgtv@me.com

Thanks for looking.
www.markmorrissey.org
Early Porsche 911 misfit