Porsche for sale of the day..........

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Porsche for sale of the day..........

Post by gridgway »

Sam wrote:What’ll it make? More than £200k I expect. More than £250k?
I think someone on PH found a sale of it at Silverstone for £150k
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Poor seller of a 964 on CC taking a bit of a beating in the comments...
https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/199 ... 2#comments
The comment about the motor needing another refresh is a bit harsh, but the comment about the rust is probably right, some expensive work to do.

When I was looking for a 964 back in the mid-2000s I remember seeing one that was the most shockingly rusty car I can remember for a long time. It sticks in my mind to this day. Along with a 2002 Baur convertible that was also more rust than metal!
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

That all seems very unfair. I think the write up looks very honest. It is rusting in the usual places (I accept the sill area might uncover a bit of a can of worms) and the electrical problems are all documented. The Speedo is a simple and common repair. Nothing appears to be hidden, and I would be surprised if the engine build did not replace what was needed. There probably isn’t much money in it to repair and flip it, but probably a decent start for a DIYer that will work through a list like I did and end up with a decent, usable car.

Interesting that the people commenting have not bid!
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Can't see he's trying to hide anything
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

The owner has now set it to no reserve so it will sell. Currently at 40k
Sam

Post by Sam »

‘Sepand’ who has commented on it seems to comment on an awful lot and never buy anything on CC.

And the ‘I would have liked to have seen new pistons’ whiffs of ‘don’t worry everyone, I’m an internet expert’.

I guess this is the risk with the CC comments box, people think it’s a forum and wade in to show how clever they are. That smartypants nonsense should be saved for DDK. :)
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Sam

Post by Sam »

‘Sepand’ who has commented on it seems to comment on an awful lot and never buy anything on CC.

And the ‘I would have liked to have seen new pistons’ whiffs of ‘don’t worry everyone, I’m an internet expert’.

I guess this is the risk with the CC comments box, people think it’s a forum and wade in to show how clever they are. That smartypants nonsense should be saved for DDK. :)
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Sam

Post by Sam »

In fact, I hope the seller sues over this utterly spurious statement of fact:

‘It's going to be another 15,000 to spend to finish the job properly’

Wazzocks.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I'm surprised that more auctions haven't got more fruity in the comments area actually. I would have thought that CC would need strong moderation.
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Sam wrote:In fact, I hope the seller sues over this utterly spurious statement of fact:

Wazzocks.
Or the repairing garage, as it infers the don’t advise / act appropriately either - something I am sure they would be very keen to defend
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

I’m surprised CC aren’t on top of it more. At the end of the day suppressed sale prices won’t do them any favours. Or is it a fixed commission model.

If you suspected that you might get the same comments would you submit your car for sale with them.?
Sam

Post by Sam »

rhd racer wrote:
Sam wrote:In fact, I hope the seller sues over this utterly spurious statement of fact:

Wazzocks.
Or the repairing garage, as it infers the don’t advise / act appropriately either - something I am sure they would be very keen to defend
Quite.

If they’ve got measurements that show the pistons were within tolerance (which I’m sure they will or they would have replaced them) it would be difficult to imagine any court would find they didn’t ‘finish the job properly’.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Sam wrote:
rhd racer wrote:

Wazzocks.
Quite.

If they’ve got measurements that show the pistons were within tolerance (which I’m sure they will or they would have replaced them) it would be difficult to imagine any court would find they didn’t ‘finish the job properly’.
I don't think it's going anywhere near any courts!
Sam

Post by Sam »

I’m sure not, but maybe it should. The writer and CC could cost the seller and engine builder [tens of?] thousands by publishing a claim that the engine wasn’t rebuilt properly if it was.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Sam wrote:I’m sure not, but maybe it should. The writer and CC could cost the seller and engine builder [tens of?] thousands by publishing a claim that the engine wasn’t rebuilt properly if it was.
Not really. The person would say that at 160k miles in their opinion, a sensible rebuild would have replaced B&P at the same time. I agree it's not helpful (just like we tend to be when we critique cars for sale), but I don't think it's anywhere near lawsuit territory. And if the seller felt that strongly, then CC could have taken the comment down which they've not (well when I last looked anyway).

ETA the commenter even uses the phrase "I'd like to have seen".