cam housing wear and rocker shaft side play

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Max911
DDK above all

cam housing wear and rocker shaft side play

Post by Max911 »

Dear Gentlemen

hoping you all stay safe around the world

Following the title of this topic I would like to ask you anything that normally I don't find on discussions about engine rebuilds.

On my engine side plays of rocker shaft are on higher value mm tolerances according Porsche workshop.(3/4 rocker shaft of 12)

I think that this at the moment is affecting only engine noise between 2-3000 rpm with low throttle load... in terms of metallic valves rattling/clanking noise

My question is: what can I do with this? does it exist a shim kit to reduce side-play of rocker shaft? Cam housing is aluminum cast (if I'm not wrong...is it possible to machine it applying material by welding then to cut to measure?

The engine runs well, good pull, no smoke, just a little bit of oil leaks from rocker covers and chain housing... but although a full rebuild to add more power in future is forecast, standard rebuild normally (probably my ignorance) does not consider any rebuild/shimming/machining for cam housing in terms of rocker shaft side play, so I would understand better if I need to search for new cam housing (hope not...)

Following attached videos that I think could explain and support my concern.(sorry but .mov not allowede I need to transform them...)

Thank as usual for any support.
Max
hot66

Re: cam housing wear and rocker shaft side play

Post by hot66 »

Are the rocker shafts within tolerance for the rockers ?

Are the shafts moving within the housings ?( eg trying to walk out ? )
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Max911
DDK above all

Re: cam housing wear and rocker shaft side play

Post by Max911 »

Yes Rockers are within tolerances on side play but fast to limit...ghose nexrt to limit hav clunking noise if I bring it with the hand and shake it...

Shaft have no radial play... walk away is prevented by specific kit from turbokraft...installed after walk away of exhaust valve rocker shaft of cylinder six...