Trailing arm bushing

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

desert rat
DDK addict

Trailing arm bushing

Post by desert rat »

Need some help. Bushings for the trailing arm to chassis arrived today but they're too big. They're Rennlist and advertised as 65 to 89. My car is a 1970 911e the trailing arm is 30mm the bushings sent are 34mm. Any help would be appreciated.
Regards Stefan
Last edited by desert rat on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fcd911
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Trailing arm bushing

Post by fcd911 »

Hi Stefan

I have a set of genuine Porsche Trailing Arm Bushes (901 331 059 00) waiting to be fitted on '73 Steel Trailing Arms (still on car) – I have just measured them and they are also 34mm.

As an aside. I also tried to order new Trailing Arm Bolts and Nuts from the OPC but was told these are NLA!!

John
DDK Member: 0471
1973 911S 2.4 Targa RHD (34 years ownership)
1973 911T (RS Rep) 2.7 RHD Rally Car (911/83 etc)
desert rat
DDK addict

Post by desert rat »

After looking more closely and scraping away the powder coating looks like the old outer sleeves are still in. Going to be fun to get out . Came out easier than I thought they would!
alanjf
DDK Fanatic

Post by alanjf »

Hi Stefan, there is a special tool to remove the inserts, otherwise they can be a pain. You can carefully saw them which allows them to loosen up.

I installed the elephant racing bushes and had to take the arms and bushes to a friend with a press.

Alan
Hannibales
DDK Fanatic

Post by Hannibales »

Hi Stefan,

I replaced mine with the elephant racing trailing arm bushes...overnight in the freezer and they went in smoothly with a little easing from a vice.

At the same time I fitted the Wevo E-Z Pins to allow suspension removal/installation without taking out the transmission. Expensive for what they are, but made it an easy job and saved me a lot of time, which you can't buy more of!

As Alan said, the old bushing inserts can be gently cut with a hacksaw and then a cold chisel or appropriate socket will pop them out nicely.
Oli

1966 912 now with '69 911E 2.0 MFI
1989 944 S2
2009 Boxster S Sport Edition
1998 Land Rover Defender Wolf
1955 Daimler Ferret Mk1
alanjf
DDK Fanatic

Post by alanjf »

Hi Oli,

I had not heard about the Wevo E-Z Pins. Next time I know, although I expect the Elephant Racing bushings to outlast me!

The old bushes on one side were gone, so alignment was impossible. Job done - thank you lockdown!

Alan
desert rat
DDK addict

Post by desert rat »

Managed to get the bushes out OK.Fitted Rennline high density bushes to the upper trailing arms, Elephant Racing bushes to the spring plates and to the front drop links. The car is a 1970 RHD 911e and I'm doing a full restoration. The shell is with Steve KertI at Classic Fabrications and will need a lot of work. Thank you for all the advice,
Regards Stefan.