Wiper motors and intermittant wipers

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Wiper motors and intermittant wipers

Post by rft218 »

Hi All,

I have been struggling with the wiring on my 71 2.2S. The wiring has some relay type things in the wiper motor loom which are to do with an intermittent wiping option.

I had a wiper motor but it didnt work on some of the settings as you moved the stalk for wipers. I believed that my motor was not an intermittant wired motor and therefore I put a wanted ad up for an intermittent wiper motor on the DDK forum. After a few conversations from that I am not sure there is such a thing!. Looking at the Porsche catalog there seems to be 2 types for LHD:

901 628 101 00 - up to 70
901 628 016 01 - 71 and on

I was under the impression from what I have read that the intermittent was a 1971 only option which doesnt tie up with the part number options. Has anyone had experience of this?

My other option is to just remove the intermittent wiring and see if it works ok without it... but that seems like admitting defeat :-)

Cheers

Roger
Slope330
I luv DDK!

Re: Wiper motors and intermittant wipers

Post by Slope330 »

FWIW my April 71 2.2 s does not have intermittent
daily driver 930 SE
currently working through total rebuild '71 2.2 s
caring for '73 2.4 s
recent past;

993 cup;rs cs ; rs ;c2;gt2 ;gt2cs
'76 930, 3.0
'74 3.0 rs
'72/3 2.7 rs ;2.4 E;2.4 E Targa
'71 2.2 s
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

Hi Roger,
Mine is a 70MY 2.2S. For a couple of decades nothing happened on the first position of the wiper switch. I eventually decided to sort it out and I learnt about the bizarre (and it is when seen in action) intermittent wipe mode. Turned out to be one of the relays was faulty. Bought a pair s/h and that fixed it.
Can't answer your question whether the wiring will only work with a specific wiper motor, as I don't know if the relays work in tandem with a mirco switch, like the self park. Do you suspect that your motor is non-original/swapped? Check relays first if you can.
Cheers, Ian
rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Post by rft218 »

HI Ian,

Thanks interesting, maybe I need to investigate the relays as the start point, thankyou for the info. Your problem sounds the same as mine so it seems like a place to go,

Cheers

Roger
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

rft218 wrote:... I was under the impression from what I have read that the intermittent was a 1971 only option which doesn't tie up with the part number options. Has anyone had experience of this?
From what I remember, intermittent wipers were only fitted to 1970 models - they proved to be problematic so were discontinued in '71.

I'm fairly sure the corresponding wiper switch was also a one-year only part.

The later IB intermittent wiper system is completely different.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Yep, Intermittent was a 1970 only feature. The motor was indeed unique to that year.
Lots of info on early S, including pics here of the one-year-only motor:
https://www.early911sregistry.org/forum ... t-Turn-Off
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

My 73 handbook states that I have slow, medium and high wiping speed settings + pull to spray and fast wipe in the zero/off stalk position. No mention of intermittent operation at all, so looks like 73 didnt have it...

:cheers:
Last edited by deano on Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
hot66

Post by hot66 »

That’s because a 73 doesn’t have intermittent
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Post by rft218 »

Many thanks all, I need to have a more detailed at the components I have. The early 911 post is really helpful if I pursue the mission of intermittent wipers although looks like for a 71 car I shouldn't have intermittent anyway. Will have a good look at the loom to work out what has happened over the years!!

Thanks,

Roger
knapmann
DDK slapper chatter

Post by knapmann »

Newbie question - is there a retro fit intermittent mod available for these pre 74 cars? I know from my BMW '02 that all you needed was to swap the std relay for a relay from a later car and a wiper switch with an additional position to activate it. i.e. the motor and all the mechanics were left untouched, it was a very simple and easy modification (although the period correct switch was hard to find). I haven't heard about anyone doing this kind of mod on these cars. Intermittent is an underrated feature IMO.
Richard M Knight
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richard M Knight »

There are several kits on ebay, or this one

https://www.smart-screen.co.uk/product- ... tent-wiper
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

inaglasshouse wrote:Yep, Intermittent was a 1970 only feature. The motor was indeed unique to that year.
Lots of info on early S, including pics here of the one-year-only motor:
https://www.early911sregistry.org/forum ... t-Turn-Off

Very good thread, thanks Richard... I have another task to add to my list of winter projects, although I think my switch might jsut be dirty. I need to sort out the parking of my wipers too.
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)