Intermittent brake light switch

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

sixpipe98
DDK Fanatic

Intermittent brake light switch

Post by sixpipe98 »

A while back I noticed my brake lights had stopped working. I then replaced the switch making sure to adjust the range of motion on the little lever to match up with the brake pedal travel which temporarily fixed the problem. I adjusted the range of motion on the switch again slightly which worked for a bit but then the brake lights stopped working again. I then replaced it with another switch thinking maybe this new one was also faulty but am having the exact same issue and seem to be going round in circles. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Sam
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Intermittent brake light switch

Post by Nine One One »

Possibly a bad earth.

Is this the switch behind the pedal board or is it wired up to the master cylinder?
sixpipe98
DDK Fanatic

Post by sixpipe98 »

Ok thx, will look to that. Yes is the switch behind the pedal board.
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Not familiar with the exact arrangement here, but on setups where a brake light switch makes contact once the pedal had moved away from the switch it is very important that the switch position is adjusted so that the on-off point in its travel is just after the pedal leaves it's mechanical stop. Ie: if the switch becomes the thing the brake pedal rests against when that brakes are not in use, the switch wont last long.....W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
sixpipe98
DDK Fanatic

Post by sixpipe98 »

I took it off and the contact seemed to be slightly corroded despite it not being on the car for long. The contact area is so small though that I can't imagine its hard to lose conductivity. I filed it and put some conductive grease on so hopefully that should last.