Flares....

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

hot66

Re: Flares....

Post by hot66 »

Looks amazing Darren . Really look forward to seeing this on one of our road trips
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Barry
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Barry »

IanM wrote:993 sills?

I seem to remember that as recent as 2 years ago Porsche were re-making 911 sills (without indents). NLA already?
The ones on the car had long been bought, way before the 911 ones were re-introduced. Did feel odd getting the old sill-drain tool and sill shaped stake dolly out again though.

As per Darren's comment, I've got a few 911 bits and bobs to sort out over next few months and then (unless something really, really compelling crops up) will be having a play with matters more Vintage for a while: Darren may well pop up a teaser of an upcoming project in due course.

I'm looking forward to using the English wheel, Pullmax et al a lot more but safe to say, the jig's not going anywhere soon: that would just be silly :drunken:

Thanks once again to Darren for the opportunity to be involved with another project and I'm very much looking forward to getting those rear flares on and doing the final fettle. As above, I think it's got potential for some nice bare metal shots: the arches in-particular were a joy to work with and fitted very nicely indeed.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Dare I say my favourite Darren project to date
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Bootsy wrote:Dare I say my favourite Darren project to date
Top praise.

There are two super cars already on the garage

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Barry wrote:The ones on the car had long been bought, way before the 911 ones were re-introduced. Did feel odd getting the old sill-drain tool and sill shaped stake dolly out again though.

As per Darren's comment, I've got a few 911 bits and bobs to sort out over next few months and then (unless something really, really compelling crops up) will be having a play with matters more Vintage for a while: Darren may well pop up a teaser of an upcoming project in due course.

I'm looking forward to using the English wheel, Pullmax et al a lot more but safe to say, the jig's not going anywhere soon: that would just be silly :drunken:

Thanks once again to Darren for the opportunity to be involved with another project and I'm very much looking forward to getting those rear flares on and doing the final fettle. As above, I think it's got potential for some nice bare metal shots: the arches in-particular were a joy to work with and fitted very nicely indeed.
OK, I understand. :thumbright:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Barry wrote:......will be having a play with matters more Vintage for a while.....
....and lovely things they are too :) ....

...a few months back at the start of the project.....

....this Austin 7 Special is starting to take shape.....

....and will eventually morph into something like this 8) .....

....a fairly sensible cost project from what Barry tells me, I'm following with keen interest and may seriously consider parting with a Citröen in the future to join the club!

Wonderful :)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Bootsy wrote:Dare I say my favourite Darren project to date
....why, thank you Sir! :)
KS

Post by KS »

Love the Austin! And the Porsche, of course!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Darren65 wrote:......forgot to get this area backdated but now being sorted....

....now duly rectified....

....a bit of work as it transpired as bolt fixings were required both sides which would have been so much easier to do when the sills were being done! :roll:

You'd be surprised how much the 74 shells were still like an early car and far closer to a 73 than a 78 SC.....

....one item I was asked about on Instagram earlier was the later inner front wing supports.....this was something else I had missed and it was only when putting together a few photos of holes needed for the front oil cooler pipes that I noticed an IROC car with the later inner wings....

....an immediate reference to my car and I realised I also had them! :? ......no doubt these have a strengthening benefit although wrong on a 74 and highly noticeable due to the chassis plate location......a late call to Barry and swiftly removed!....

....check out all that lovely black original protection.....if a different method of getting back to bare metal had been used these cavities would have been full of gunk!

I think that's the 77 shell now well and truly backdated.....let's hope I haven't missed anything else! :?

Cheers,
Guy
Married to the DDK

Post by Guy »

Darren,

One thing I think you have missed are the little bulgie bits in your above photos where the bumper mounts attach. I think this was flat on 74's and the bulge was put in on later cars to easier access the rear attachment nut of the crush/recoil tubes.

Guy
1977 Carrera 3.0
1974 Carrera 2.7 in bits.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Guy wrote:Darren,

One thing I think you have missed are the little bulgie bits in your above photos where the bumper mounts attach. I think this was flat on 74's and the bulge was put in on later cars to easier access the rear attachment nut of the crush/recoil tubes.

Guy
Thanks Guy, I wouldn't have known or spotted that.......I'll get my lump hammer out!

Every day's a school day :)

Cheers,
brembo
DDK rules my life!

Post by brembo »

Great progress Darren,looking forward to the next stage.

Can't beat a large a**e :wink:
[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2jpGu2o]Image
Last edited by brembo on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Dougie

Worry is the interest on inevitability !
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Great photo!
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

was at Barry's last friday for a catch up. Just missed Darren's car which had left on thursday. Saw the Austin which was mighty interesting

As i drove up, Barry exlaimed 'your car is quiet!!' so i had to explain i havent got a trick exhaust or sound deadening, the idling isnt quite right and i had stalled on the way down his drive.....

Shame i missed this project, but good to see him and Isla, we talked porsches, dented ali engine lids, toy cars, older cars, modern cars, boats, caravans and politics in that order - saving the best for last....
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Darren65 wrote:
Darren65 wrote:......forgot to get this area backdated but now being sorted....

....now duly rectified....
Did you throw the old supports away? Can you give them to me? I'd happily pay postage.

Let me know.