Anyone driving an EV?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Anyone driving an EV?

Post by shambly »

stevenery wrote:Here's a trailer for the upcoming Vintage Voltage series. An assortment of cars are on their Instagram including Porsche and Ferrari, so they'll likely be featured on the show too.

https://youtu.be/MGeZ7_bJ_QY
Looking forwards to it!
Zim48
DDK Fanatic

Post by Zim48 »

Rented a car over the weekend, drove 400km and it cost $19 in fuel! Prices have come down over 20% since January and it’s $2.15 a gallon. NYC fuel prices are considered high vs NJ where I saw it’s around $1.85 a gallon. Not sure the Tesla maths works so well at the moment. In fact, I see very few Tesla’s or EVs in NYC probably because charging options both private and public are sparse. In the US EV is much more a Cali thing.
1973 2.4E Targa (RHD)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Interesting road test of the electric 308

https://youtu.be/Gad0z2NuSCA
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

Very interesting to watch. Would be fun to have a go. His enjoyment seems to be mainly based on how fast it is and I suspect I wouldn't enjoy it as I've yet to drive an electric car where I have enjoyed the torque delivery.
tim69s
DDK above all

Post by tim69s »

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I bought a little known Mercedes B class (2016 plate) electric back in December and it's been amazing as a family run around. We hardly use our other oil burner SUV anymore.
However it's very much EV 1.0 as the range is totally shite especially in the winter.
We have off street parking and a home charger which makes it bearable and my energy provider gives us 4 hours of charging a night for 1 third normal price, so it costs virtually nothing to run.
My bro has run an early Zoe for several years and has had major issues, so I threw a bit more cash at it to get the Merc with Tesla motor and batteries.
Will look at the Tesla Model Y as a replacement when it finally gets to the UK.
We're not going back to ICE for everyday cars now, and I'm slightly ashamed to admit on this forum I actually like driving it!!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Interestingly, our Zoe is just on 3 years old and has had some issues with the 12v battery (recovered twice), but once they'd changed it it was fine. Just had to have two lower suspension bushes replaced at 20k miles which apparently isn't unknown. But on the whole it's been really good (although I don't find it very comfortable being a pax in it).

Was literally on the verge of replacing it ready to sign when lockdown kicked in. After lockdown the same car is £80 per month more per month, how strange. So we've bought it and will wait a while to decide what to do next.

Graham
tim69s
DDK above all

Post by tim69s »

My brothers's Zoe is one of the ones where you rent the battery from Renault at a cost of £60 a month. It's a 6 year old car and the battery failed completely, was off the road and with Renault for 6 months before they finally were forced to replace the battery. He had to get lawyers involved to get his car back.

gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Interesting, our battery is leased too. I thought it gave some peace of mind should the battery fail!!
tim69s
DDK above all

Post by tim69s »

Sorry, didn't mean to alarm, I'm sure he was just unlucky.
The delay was caused by Renault UK and Renault France having a dispute over who's responsibility it was to pay for the battery pack replacement. Got sorted in the end.

gridgway

Post by gridgway »

It's ok, I wasn't unduly alarmed! I'm sure it'll be fine. I love a good legal battle anyway!!
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

gridgway

Post by gridgway »

It's a nice positive review. All the new tech scares me though with all the control on the touch screen. But don't worry though there is always voice recognition to fall back on!!

I've got to replace my aged vw touareg now is it's got a list of things failing on it, but I don't think I can rely on an electric car yet.

Graham
Gary71

Anyone driving an EV?

Post by Gary71 »

gridgway wrote:It's a nice positive review. All the new tech scares me though with all the control on the touch screen. But don't worry though there is always voice recognition to fall back on!!

I've got to replace my aged vw touareg now is it's got a list of things failing on it, but I don't think I can rely on an electric car yet.

Graham
We’ve got the latest voice recognition in the new Bentley and it’s pretty good. You can say ‘hey Bentley I’m cold’ and it turns your aircon up, or ask it to turn the seat heating cooling off etc etc.

Sometimes is struggles but once you’ve learnt a little of the range of commands it can do and the kind of phrasing it understands it’s all good.

I’d still like a rotary heater control and volume knob though!
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Gary71 wrote:
gridgway wrote: I’d still like a rotary heater control and volume knob though!

My velar does have a volume knob but changing temp/fan settings does sort of require looking at the touch screen. Which I’m not sure I’d call progress
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)