Advice on something newer Carrera/964/993

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

slipslide
DDK slapper chatter

Advice on something newer Carrera/964/993

Post by slipslide »

Hi
Was just after some more advice if that’s ok. Been thinking about something newer than I’m used to that I can do some longer trips in with my wife, so a bit more comfort and reliability/ease. I’m restoring a 1960 356, have a 1963 beetle and recently sold a 1967 912. Originally I was looking at either a gen 1 997 or a leggy 993, and have decided that a 997 might be a jump to modern. I’d be scared to take it apart. So I have been looking around and was thinking of widening the search to earlier stuff. I’ve heard of a couple off 964 and 993 rolling projects and seen a few Carrera 3.2 in my price range (mainly Targas weirdly, less popular possibly?). Budget when I buy would be somewhere around the 20 odd/ish hence the project bit (prices seem all over the place at the moment) plus its part off the fun for me working on them.
So Carrera to 964 to 993.
I know less than nothing about these cars so any opinions Or views would greatly appreciated.
1967 912
1967 beetle
1960 356B RHD
8ft 6 Phil Edwards
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Advice on something newer Carrera/964/993

Post by rhd racer »

I bought a 964 C2 manual at the very bottom of the market, just above your budget. If you check the restoration section you will see everything it needed - basically everything mechanical. Don’t get me wrong, I am cool with that, I know the car and it will hopefully give me many years of faithful service as a result; it is just the total investment will be high 30s done, and will still need a respray to make it really nice at some point in the future.

From what I have seen 993 values are pretty close to 964s.

If you are cool with a Tip, cab or LHD, then you might get a slightly better starting point. I can’t tell you what it’s like day to day yet, as I am waiting to be reunited with it!

Good luck
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

Good Evening

I know your question was around 964/993 but how about this as a suggestion ? ( just seen it on impact bumpers)

https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/ind ... -sc-coupe/

As a useable project, at the price it seems like reasonable value ?!
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

rhd racer wrote:I bought a 964 C2 manual at the very bottom of the market, just above your budget. If you check the restoration section you will see everything it needed - basically everything mechanical. Don’t get me wrong, I am cool with that, I know the car and it will hopefully give me many years of faithful service as a result; it is just the total investment will be high 30s done, and will still need a respray to make it really nice at some point in the future.
In 2010 there were any number of half-decent 964s around for £8k-£14k. £18k got you something very decent indeed.

My car is an 89 that hasn’t had an engine rebuild. It leaks a bit, but works fine. I’ll rebuild it eventually but for now there’s no need.

Similarly, I’d happily run around in one that’s a bit ratty, so long as structurally it’s safe.

I do wonder whether we’re all getting a bit precious about our cars.

964s are too rare, 3.2s are either too nice or too rusty, but it should be possible to get a high-mileage 993 with tired paint for £25k and just drive it.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
slipslide
DDK slapper chatter

Post by slipslide »

Thanks for the replies.

Rhd racer. Interestuing thread, i will finish the read tonight. I was thinking rolling restoration, get all mechanicals how i want them and then look at the bodywork. I realise it will cost doing it this way but i will have a happy wife with the initial outlay and a car sorted how i want it. Win Win, hopefully.
Its a funny time to be looking for a car, prices seem all over the place. I cant really work out if i am miles out or close to the money. No insurance write off though, No idea why really just something my dad drummed into me.
I have seen a 83 or 84 3.2 targa at close ish to my money, but have never driven one so not sure how they drive. But it might be an option, and does look nice.
I am not looking for a show car and my 912 was probably close to that and i still did what i wanted in that, and my 356 is full bare metal nut and bolt restoration (only as when i bought it it was in boxes). I just want something that i can drive,enjoy and build after not having an old porsche on the road for over a year.
1967 912
1967 beetle
1960 356B RHD
8ft 6 Phil Edwards