Incorrectly registered GP Projects RS60

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Spartacus
DDK Newbie

Incorrectly registered GP Projects RS60

Post by Spartacus »

I've been offered a tatty GP Projects RS60/RSK that last changed hands in 2011 and has not been taxed or MoT'd for six years. It was built from a 1973 Beetle and has the original chassis, though chopped, obviously, and has the original engine, front and rear suspension and brakes (except the front drums have been swapped for discs since 2011), and of course, electrics. The windscreen is a non-E marked GP Projects. It has receipts for the GP parts from 1990 and quite a lot of history, including a build manual and handwritten notes, but no photos. There is no chassis plate anywhere, and the old VW chassis number is just stamped on the tunnel behind the hand brake.

The V5 says VW Saloon. Hearing and reading about the IVA etc and amnesties that may have been in place once upon a time, it seems like this vehicle is in no-man's land. What is going to be the legal status of this car for road use?
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Incorrectly registered GP Projects RS60

Post by Bootsy »

There’s plenty on the road with the same status (Which doesn’t make it right!) but given the tightening up of such things it would need to go through an IVA which wouldn’t be easy to get it correctly registered
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Spartacus
DDK Newbie

Post by Spartacus »

That's my fear. Is the 'kit converted' route an option?

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I don't believe so
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

The only way you can put that on the road is by ignoring everything and hoping you don't get pulled... The moment the chassis is cut and shut, it's hello IVA, I'm afraid. And as it's a complete vehicle right now, you'd need to disassemble it, photograph the build process and effectively start again. No easy way out to do things legally.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Sam

Post by Sam »

If you pass on it I know a man who wants something like this to rebuild.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Spartacus
DDK Newbie

Post by Spartacus »

So, I could leave it registered as a 1973 VW saloon. When it comes to insurance - do classic car insurers enquire as to the registration status?
Sam

Post by Sam »

You could probably get it insured, but since it’s against the law to use an incorrectly registered vehicle on the road it’s likely they wouldn’t pay any claim, which would be a serious problem if you hurt someone else.

There’s plenty of discussion on kit car forums. If you google ‘kit car amnesty’ that will give you hours of reading.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Spartacus
DDK Newbie

Post by Spartacus »

Thanks Sam, obviously has been a big problem for lots, and it does look bleak. It seems like there is an ex-DVLA consultant called Paul Jepson who advises - I'll see if he can help