What if Goodwood Members Meeting is cancelled due to Corona?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

hot66

Re: What if Goodwood Members Meeting is cancelled due to Cor

Post by hot66 »

Don’t tell Greta that !
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

A report I was reading earlier this evening stated that, thus far, there have been, globally, 7,500 deaths from the virus - I thought it would be interesting to look up the population of the world to try to ascertain an overall percentage - the world population is apparently 7.5 billion. I couldn't even get enough noughts to appear on my calculator to work out the ( minuscule ) percentage of deaths worldwide.

Whilst I fully appreciate that any death is one too many, as stated earlier without the constant ( anti ) social media "reporting" , would we actually be aware that the virus even existed ? A report I read last week stated that 26,860 people a day die from cancer, I can't remember how many from road accidents, sepsis etc - in the good old days ( pre Facebook/instagram etc) "ignorance is bliss" would probably have applied.

The viral curves shown on the government website indicate the perceived death level over the coming weeks/months, interesting to see if the figures "live up to" ( pun) the predictions. And on top of this, the Bowie tribute I was going to see in York next month has been postponed until July, and that's before I mention the tickets I have for the Festival of Speed and the Revival !
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

A good friend of mine in the States told me tonight that he is convinced the situation is being used solely by the powers that be (what or whoever they may be) to break down society and take control, with next step being martial law. Not sure about conspiracy theories, but these are strange times...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

The issue perhaps is this virus takes many out for 2 weeks and then possibly those around them 2 weeks also etc, thus people do not go to work and business and organisations and basic systems can collapse rapidly.
I have never seen such disruption in my 68 years, the 3 day week and all around that was never like this blanket disruption.
Fact that all countries are taking the same hit shows it is really bad for the functioning of a country over a very long period, just as a war would be.

Germany has 28 deaths! A coach crash would kill more, a plane crash 10 x more, yet BMW etc are closing.
I can't see why any european democracy would want to impose Marshal Law, that just raises the states hugely unless society breaks down and law and order is broken, looting etc everywhere.
Interestingly, Italy, somehow in dire states is not panic buying yet the Brits are clearing the shelves.

Just for once, I'm glad to be retired, must be very difficult if you are in a complex family situation.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

KS wrote:martial law
I bloody love Sammo Hung. Maybe he can save us all.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Barry

Post by Barry »

hot66 wrote:Don’t tell Greta that !
There are reports of climate improvements bubbling up all over the place.

For me, the road is already like being here ten years ago (well three anyway). By the afternoon I'm fully expecting to see wild orchids and crested newts.

In China air pollution levels over affected regions have plummeted.

In Venice the waters are getting clearer than they've been for years.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
sladey

Post by sladey »

Barry wrote:
911hillclimber wrote:It is just part of a year or maybe the whole of it.
ALL the car stuff is irrelevant unless you make them, make bits, sell them etc. So we have nowhere to drive to to 'hang-out', not really a big deal.
You can still drive to your fav place in the UK in your '911', take in the scenery and have a long weekend in a country retreat or pub. Just don't interact with people except the one you are with.
It will all come back round and things will be much the same, some businesses will not return, some people will not be the same, but the majority will come back.

Heads down into the trenches and work it through, the country and the people have seen lots of bad times, 3 day weeks, strikes, recessions and the odd virus many have forgotten about.
Totally agree Graham, well said. Oh except for the pub bit: not for now anyway it seems. But the principle? Absolutely.

This is a good time to appreciate just how privileged and settled we normally are in the U.K. What's having just one year of doing things differently? Ultimately things will settle to a new normal: the papers will gradually find other story's to over-inflate*, vaccines will be found, treatment will be improved as will herd immunity. I'm thinking of all the things I can still do: get in the kayak, walk the dog, catch up in the garden, Skype as much as I want. Have a beer in the sun. Whilst there's work there I can go to work. If that stops, well, we'll cross that bridge at the time.

*Headlines would have you believe the UK death rate is about to double or triple. Taking the current estimated range of potential Covid victims, 20-50k, would be under 5-10% of normal rates. Graphs of 'normal' deaths will be almost identical to the Covid ones: exponentially increaasing with age and those with underlying heath issues. It's serious, serious enough for it to be completely right and justified to stop unnecessary social contact, but it would be nice to put the headline figures into context (Hello BBC, can you hear me? :roll: ). The biggest risk isn't directly from the virus: mentally I can cope with that, what scares the s**t out of me is people being driven by blind panic. Those that are running on false / misleading or inflated information. It's the fear of the unknown: such a powerful force.
Well said Barry.

I’ve explained to my staff that if they want to know what’s going on then watch the boris briefing, but as soon as it’s over switch the tv off, because everything else on the bbc, sky, is literally speculation designed to cause panic.

The nhs’ job and the governments job is to keep everything going; the media’s job is to get more views or more clicks and damn the consequence.

Currently we are waiting to see what the actual impact is on our conveyancing work; due to the boris bounce we had way too much work in the pipeline which would have become a problem soon. So a reduction would be good for us (depending on severity, obvs)

We are working so we can get everyone working from home if we want to but we will keep some in the (now emptier) offices

It’s making us all think how we work and there is a general air of people accepting that things need to be done differently but that isn’t always a big deal.

As an example staff with kids are doing a couple of hours work early in the morning and the rest in the afternoon/evening - leaving most of the day free with the kids

Keep clean and carry on.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Sam

Post by Sam »

Simultaneous exchange and completion for everyone?
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Mark: I'm really hoping that one good thing to come out of this is a glimpse of what happens when we dial back our frantic lifestyles. Less travelling = more time with family, more time doing what you want =, in turn, more efficient productively. Less travel = less cost, financially, evironmentally and socially.

Flying half way around the world for a couple of meetings is simply bonkers: the tech is there to largely render that obsolete. Going to an office twenty five miles away five days a week rather than, say, one or two these days isn't much different.

I'm sure if you throttled video streaming (business and leisure) at a sensible resolution across the board, any extra bandwidth for office working could be covered whilst avoiding an explosion in data centres.

Then the possibility of having small core offices with further company-shared large meeting spaces becomes possible. When you think about it, a massive % of the entire country is unused all of the time: we are either at home whilst the office is empty, or in the office when the house is empty. Therefore as a firm, you could have a small core office and on a rota basis, use a shared larger unit purely for whole-staff meetings. This frees up landspace, saves on energy, maintenance etc.

Just as a bigger, heavier car needs bigger brakes, which means heavier suspension etc, society has done the same. If we were starting with a blank sheet of paper now, with technology as it stands today, what might we do?
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Bruce M wrote:
<<<SNIP>>>

A colleague of mine had cronovirus in January and had a rough week in bed. We work in the IT sector & are now 100% working from home which we can easily do. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the firm cancels our project & others in the next month or so, to slash costs and protect the company.

So take care people, of your family & community. It’s going to be a rough road ahead.
Well, my estimate was a bit on the long side... 3 days later and I’m out. Image
Still earning but very uncomfortable. I’ve had a total of 3 weeks billing gap in seven years, until now. Mrs M also fighting daily to keep her income.

Crazy times & it looks like a long road ahead.
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

FoS officially postponed, unsurprisingly.
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.