PCGB - Goodwood 'KG' Event - Aug 17th 2019

Any Porsche events or other related car events you know of please post them here

Moderators: hot66, Helen, abm914

AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Re: PCGB - Goodwood 'KG' Event - Aug 17th 2019

Post by AndrewSlater »

The line-up awaiting the parade laps - we were near the back of the grid.

I let my 19 year old son drive the parade laps so he seemed quite pleased.
Reviewing the video I did say 'remember the brakes' quite a few times. :lol:
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

What a great day out! Nice to be able to put a few faces to names on here!
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

And sat in the paddock beside one of Rod Emory’s 356’s was Delwyn’s beautiful new creation - his Streamliner.

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

The car of the day without a doubt.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

KS wrote:The car of the day without a doubt.
I’d seen a photo already but it’s a really captivating creation in the flesh. All credit once again to Dermot’s vision and Steve Kerti at Classic Fabrications for the build. Lovely to see it.
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

I’ve followed Rod Emory’s work for some time, so it was great to hear him talk all about it at Porsche Centre Portsmouth on the Friday night.

I sent this picture to a friend on Friday night, with the caption - ‘Rod Emory, awestruck at the beauty of my 356’

My friend, rather uncharitably I thought, replied that he thought he was in fact looking at the red one.

Anyway, that night I chatted to Rod as well, and what a lovely guy he is, with a great philosophy on life and Porsches.

On Saturday, I saw him again, and he was actually photographing my 356. Being an on the ball journalist, sadly I missed the shot.
So just for my friend, I asked Rod would he do it again?

He’s a real gent.

My friend’s response? ‘I believe you - this time’.
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Nice story and it is a very photogenic
car

Here is another shot of the streamliner - the supercharged engine

Also a picture of the car that sounded the best - a very high revving 2 litre engine
Last edited by jb on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alfietom
DDK slapper chatter

Post by alfietom »

AndrewSlater wrote:The line-up awaiting the parade laps - we were near the back of the grid.

I let my 19 year old son drive the parade laps so he seemed quite pleased.
Reviewing the video I did say 'remember the brakes' quite a few times. :lol:
Car of the Day for me was undoubtedly the Light Ivory 911 in centre (2nd Row) ....My Car!!
Fantastic day and a great evening BBQ.
1973 Porsche 911T
2011 Porsche 997.2 Carrera 4S
2012 Boxster 981 - (Wifes Summer Drive)
2019 Renault Megane RS 300 Trophy
2021 Cupra Leon
2021 Alpine A110 GT
alfietom
DDK slapper chatter

Post by alfietom »

How was getting out of Cornwall? Apparently it was taking 5 1/2 hours to get to Exeter :shock: :shock:
We left early and arrived in Hamble at 11.30am even after a coffee stop.
I was going to say Hi on the grid formation but you looked occupied looking over Delwyns Streamliner. Next time.....Great weekend!
1973 Porsche 911T
2011 Porsche 997.2 Carrera 4S
2012 Boxster 981 - (Wifes Summer Drive)
2019 Renault Megane RS 300 Trophy
2021 Cupra Leon
2021 Alpine A110 GT
KS

Post by KS »

alfietom wrote:
How was getting out of Cornwall? Apparently it was taking 5 1/2 hours to get to Exeter :shock: :shock:
We left early and arrived in Hamble at 11.30am even after a coffee stop.
I was going to say Hi on the grid formation but you looked occupied looking over Delwyns Streamliner. Next time.....Great weekend!
Took us three hours to get to Exeter, and a further four to Farnham. By way of contrast, under three and a half to get home from Farnham this morning.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

Jeremy, I can only apologise for my a*rse photo-bombing your special Rod shot :oops: :
jeremyg wrote:Image
You really should have shouted for me to get out of the way!!!

Hope you enjoyed the event and it's a shame we didn't meet (despite parking next door :roll: ).
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

To tell you the truth I didn’t notice your arse at the time, but no worries - it’s very kind of you to mention it.

It was great that they put on Rod’s talk on the Friday night - gave us a good reason to make the trip into a weekend, otherwise we might have missed the Goodwood do.

Trish drove the parade laps. She’s seen lots of racing there but had never driven around - she enjoyed it (if a bit frustrated at not being able to put her foot down). I’ll put up a film of it soon.

All in all a good day - we must properly introduce ourselves next time we meet - DDK Flat 4 drive?
theorangeperil
DDK forever

Post by theorangeperil »

What a fantastic day, and great to catch up with so many of you.
And chatting to Rod - they say don't meet your heros, but what a great guy, and his wife was lovely also.
I hope they make this event a regular thing.
Peter
'69 911T UK RHD enjoying since 2002
'86 924S - Gone but not forgotten. Porsche's best kept secret...
'04 911 40th Anniversary now gone
'11 911 GTS manual of course...
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

I didn't arrive until just after midday, I managed about 3 hours before heading back to the east coast. Not sure if this event will ever get up to headinghams dizzy heights, high point for me was to watch the track day for an hour after the main event. will definitely be putting my name down for the track session next year pending a finished car :bounce:
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

Great venue and a great circuit.
Having all the pre-74 cars in the pit garages makes for a nice display. And the weather was near perfect after initially looking like it might be a bit unsettled in the forecast a few days before.

There was parking for other cars outside the pits just by the main entrance so don't know what question someone asked to hear there was no parking ! All non pre '74 cars, trailers, etc had to go to the outfield parking. Not a problem. They allowed those of us on the trackday to park our tow cars with tools etc over in the pit area which made things much easier to manage.

Porsche Club do a good job of organising these events with good hospitality and great staff. Trackday was managed to their normal high standard along with the resident Goodwood Marshals who are always really enthusiastic. We were treated well all day on the trackday with refreshments available all day and a lovely lunch spread included in the track fee.

Some lovely cars on display in the garages. The trackday was under subscribed which was good for all of us taking part but not so good for those spectating and I hope the organisers continue with it for next year and it gets a bit more takers. Just before lunch all the pre'73 cars parked out on the pit straight for a photo op and then after lunch everyone got the chance to do a few convoy laps of the circuit before the trackday session started again.
People who had never driven the circuit really seemed to enjoy it.
Goodwood is an expensive circuit to drive as a trackday due to their over cautious 5 car limit on track. It is easy to do a 5/6 lap session and see no other cars at all. Even 10 cars on tracks would be conservative for the 2.2 mile lap.

I didn't do the evening with Rod & the German bloke who's name I can't recall but people said it was good. The Saturday evening BBQ including drinks was a limited numbers event but, food (& drink !) was great and we got a further session of Q&A with Rod & ??? (It'll come to me later!)

914/6GT was going great guns with its new engine, box, brakes and suspension. Super stable at speed on the scary fast Goodwood corners with no runoff to speak off. The handling was sublime driving at 9/10ths and the suspension really worked all the tyres to the max across their full width on the high speed corners turning them into plasticine ! Not the circuit to be testing the limits of handling unless you like living dangerously, but a great circuit to drive. I hadn't driven it in nearly 20 years. Hasn't changed a bit ! Just like it should be.

I hope they add something extra for next year to spice it up even more, but the great venue, use of the garages for all the 'pre 74 cars, parade laps, plus trackday action was a good formula to build on. The celeb appearances on Friday and Saturday evenings seemed to be popular and the quality of the optional BBQ on Saturday evening was great. It initially looked expensive when I booked, but with all drinks included it suddenly became a bit of a bargain (If I'd known I wouldn't have driven :roll: but Sarah made the most of it :drunken: ). There were only a couple of trade stands. In that respect it was nothing like Classics at the Castle which had a lot of trade support. Maybe this will come in time. They could add some demo laps to a schedule using some notable period race cars and maybe even offer passenger rides. I gave several people passenger rides. Some I knew, some I didn't, and I think others were doing the same. They just had to pay the £10 registration fee, sign their life away and Goodwood even lent out helmets for people to use. To be honest I don't see why the calendar couldn't cope with both events separated by a couple of months over the summer, given their different formats and locations. I'd go to both :)

There has to be a first time for everything, and I hope the comments encourage more attendees for next year.
Last edited by amallagh on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
'72 914/6GT (first love!)
'66 SWB 911 (now sold but still prostituting itself as a rally car rental for HERO)
'73 911 2.7RS
'73 911 2.8RSR (some time in the near future)
'67 911R 2.0 twin plug (sometime, maybe, never?)
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)